Topic

ULA Camino

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Camino

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

"As niche companies "mainstream" themselves (e.g. Golite, etc.) — others enter to fill the void."

Not in this current economic climate.

…except for Ken's Designs.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Not in this current economic climate."

Maybe not, but economic climate is always transitory.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Maybe not, but economic climate is always transitory."

Not for the next several years…..

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ye pessimist ye… :)

I was just reading a newspaper article that factories in China are now facing a significant labor shortage! Most are expecting the Year of the Tiger to be a pretty good one.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Hmm, curious to see the new pack. A panel loader should be interesting, although I'm more of a toploader-kind-of-guy. Plus I have my Ohm, still build when ULA was run by Brian =)

I'd do agree with the tenor that ULA now does seem to be more about making a profit (than under Brian). But, Chris and his wife invested money into the venture and thus want to see some ROI, which I find understandable. That said, it does look like they veer away from UL and maybe now garner more the market of people who look for a lightweight backpack? Its pretty much what GoLite does as well, so its no surprise that the two are named here. But maybe its more something that we can accept from GoLite (being a bigger cooperation and all) than from ULA (who we still see as the cottage manufacturer making backpacks in a garage)?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

While the "cool" factor of ULA is gone, they still make a top quality product here in the US. They have my support.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

David et al, yup, I think it's fine for ULA to move more toward a profit motive… that's kinda the point of having a business, after all! IIRC (and perhaps I don't), it seems like I remember a letter from Brian or the new owners saying that some new packs would be coming out that Brian had been developing; if I remember that right, the new designs are still "old" ULA anyway. That said, there's obvious interest in a smaller pack; they'll lose some business by not providing that product, and more importantly might find that people develop brand loyalty toward the supplier of their smaller pack. I see it all the time: someone has had a Gregory pack for years, and they want another Gregory. It seems that it would be in ULAs best interest to make/carry smaller packs almost as "advertising," as a way of keeping and building core customers and brand loyalty to them.

I don't get how ULA has lost any "cool" factor. It's pretty much the same company, making many of the same products, but adding cool new stuff. IMO…

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"I don't get how ULA has lost any "cool" factor. It's pretty much the same company, making many of the same products, but adding cool new stuff. IMO…"

Making stuff in the USA is pretty cool. But I'm not sure what's so cool about Gossamer Gear, other than their Lightrek poles.

Is there a cottage company that makes a simple US made daypack, for it's brand loyalists? It would be nice to have a simple 1,200 to 1,500 c.i. pack with shoulder straps, for $70ish or less.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Is there a cottage company that makes a simple US made daypack, for it's brand loyalists? It would be nice to have a simple 1,200 to 1,500 c.i. pack with shoulder straps, for $70ish or less."

Not exactly what you're talking about, but there is this.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

How about a ZPacks "Zero" stuff sack pack? $60-$70, simple, light. I bet Joe would make one in Dyneema if you needed it super-durable.

David Ure

@familyguy

I should have bought a couple of ULA Relay's back in the day….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was literally pulling trigger on the ULA Relay, discovered they were not making anymore, none in stock..Have enjoyed previously a ULA Amp,older Conduit, P1, and now a Circuit! Still think ULA has plenty of cool factor.Current and previous owners of ULA make great packs! Wish hadnt sold the Amp,but w/GG Gorilla have for now all packs I need for use intended..

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

" don't get how ULA has lost any "cool" factor. It's pretty much the same company"

When I say cool factor, I am refering to calling and talking to the guy that was actually building your pack, or would join us on the forums or personally sign your invoice thanking you for your purchase. That is a cool factor not many companies can realistically provide. But like I said, I have two ULA's and I would buy another 2 tomorrow if I had to.

Shawn Oakley
    BPL Member

@oakleyhoma

Locale: western NC

Sure would love to hear more about the size and any other specs for the new ULA Camino… it's going to be larger than the Conduit?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here is an example of what now is going on. I emailed about a kinked backpanel in my '08 circuit. Common problem from what I see here. So I asked about a replacement. I get an email from Chris. Ken no problem to fix it for you , just send it to 668w 1725 n logan utah 84321, we do repairs every friday, and usually ship them back the same day

Chris McMaster//Owner///Ultralight Adventure Equipment// Logan Utah

Fine and wonderful, but can I get a replacement backpanel!? Do I really have to send it in for a removable piece. I feel like he read my email and answered them immediately but…..Update Email I recieved today., Ken i noticed your post on BPL, FYI what we call a backpanel is not replaceable by you, we would have to pick it out and re sew it, i think it's interesting how quickly you jumped on the band wagon but failed to mention that all your emails were returned within an hour, and we offered to fix what you said was the problem at no charge //although it turns out you were just calling the problem by the wrong name,/// and we still fixed it at no charge. In the future I would appreciate it if you get your facts straight before you make a post about meChris McMaster//Owner///Ultralight Adventure Equipment// Logan Utah
    Though in my original e mail I did mention kinked panel. Can 3d mesh be kinked? I don't believe so. All worked out in the end. So the correct term is foam pad. I don't think I was being over critical of Chris though.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ken,

I would cut Chris some slack. Sounds like he thought you meant the back panel of the pack, not the padded backpanel. I bet you had said the foam pad has a kink, he would have just sent one.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

I had the same problem with my Circuit. This was before the new ownership. Casey told me it would only cost me shipping both ways to send the pack to them. I was very happily supprised when my account was only charged for shipping one way.

David Wills

@willspower3

It seems to be ULA has always been about mostly about making backpacks that are light, durable but still accessible to most of the backpacking communities load carrying needs. P1, P2 anyone? Its a need they seem to be able to meet better than any other cottage company, and really any other company period. The closest competition is for this is Golite, Granite Gear, and Osprey. None of them can match the design, durability, and useful features of ULA at their weights. I see way more of their big frame packs on the trail than I see Conduits, despite the Conduit being the greatest UL pack ever designed by man (fisticuffs if you disagree :).

If you are looking for a UL day pack, there are tons of options out there already. MLD or Z packs can both make dyneema sacks with any options you want. TNF and Mt. Hardwear both have some cordura day packs for about 10 oz. I don't see why ULA would even consider making one aside from padding their lineup. They couldn't make as competitive a product as they do in big packs, and it adds complexity to the business model.

David Ure

@familyguy

David – the Relay was a fantastic pack. It was shaped differently than the Conduit for the purposes of active day hiking. It was / is a highly competitive product with more features than the Z-Pack would offer standard.

I'll pass on the TNF crap. Thanks,

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I was lucky enough to recently pick up a perfect Relay from a guy here in Scotland for only £20/$30.:)
    The only problem with the design is the lack of an extension collar to stop rain flowing in. There isn't enough material to roll over. I'll sew one on myself.

Maybe i should stick it up for sale at first offer over $500 gets it! ;)

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

I'm not parting with my Relay. Or any of my ULA packs. I even bought a back up Conduit and Circuit after I saw the changes made to them in '09. I prefer the draw cord closure of the older Circuit and the hip belt on the older Conduit.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

"I prefer the draw cord closure of the older Circuit and the hip belt on the older Conduit"

Agreed, the newer Conduit hipbelt is good, but the older version was def better.

David Ure

@familyguy

Was the hipbelt wider or longer?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

wider wings with sew in hip belt pockets. Much sturdier belt.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Just think how comfortable the Ohm would be with the old Conduit hip belt.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools