Topic

Bay Area BPL Winter Camping – Part Two

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area BPL Winter Camping – Part Two

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I'm in for sure, maybe bringing friend.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I will be in CA next week and can get out to Pinecrest sometime late afternoon Friday. Anyone arriving Friday afternoon or evening?

Also, I will be leaving out of Pleasanton if anyone wants a ride out Free miles on rental Cars!!!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Hey Greg – glad you can make it.

I think Jack might be coming up on Friday, everyone else Saturday morning.

I think there is a car camping site open nearby, if you (& Jack) want to camp out Friday night without hiking in. You can call the Stanislaus National Forest – Summit Ranger Station to confirm that the camp site is open.

There will be snow at the camp site.

Looking forward to it……

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Greg I'll take you up on Fri. afternoon, if I leave my house by 6:00 a.m I can meet you in Modesto maybe at David Wage's house and car pool from there. I think it's about a 3 1/2- 4 hr drive for me to David's house. Let me know what time you want to meet, or what time you want to start the hike. We could actually hike to the spot we stayed last time and wait for everyone to show up there on Sat. it's only a couple of miles in. Come on guys no other takers for Fri? I got it off and I'm going to take advantage of it HA! HA! See you guys soon, hopefully I'll be better prepared this time. Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Is it possible to get a headcount of the Sat. crowd and the meet up time. Also, where do you go after hwy 108?? Is it like you are driving to the Crabtree Meadow trail head. I am kind of in the dark as to time, and where????

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Guys I am looking at this and I looked at the map that Dave supplied me with. This might be too ambitious for my wife (who wants to go badly), we are going to have to opt for something a little less ambitious because of her skills. Sorry for the drop. Please have a great time. We are going to go up Hwy 4 and make our way on an easier trip.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

This might be to ambitious for me too Ken, but I'm gonna give her He$$ trying. Jack

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Hey Ken – Sorry to hear that, but I certainly understand wanting to stay within a comfort zone.

I'm trying to think of a way we can still meet up. The area we went to last month is very easy, but this time we plan to go farther. Is it the distance?

Even if we don't camp together, the trail out of crabtree is very easy beginner skiing terrain and reaching the snow off 108 is much closer than hiway 4.

Whatever works out, we'll catch up sometime!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Let me talk to her. It's not the mileage per se, we have all day, it's that mixed with snow. She is not in good shape and I just know how slogging away in the snow can be when you are out of shape. If it was just me, there would be no issue. I hate to go back and forth on this, nor do I want you guys to alter trip in anyway. I will let you know

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Hey Ken if you want, just hike into the spot we did last time, it was all up hill but very gentle and not to far. If you want we can just hang out there for the weekend and who ever wants to can go farther. I'm good either way, just glad to be getting out on the trail again in the snow. Jack

David Lutz

@davidlutz

That's a good idea, Jack……that's a good spot to practice skiing.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

How funny, I was actually thinking about that! What time, and where guys?

What is the road that I turn off of Hwy 108 from and where will everyone be parking. Even if we are with you guys for an hour or two that would be cool.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Email sent to everyone….please check it out.

Ken – I propose to meet Saturday morning at 10 am at the Summit Ranger Station in Pinecrest, trailhead is 5 minutes from there.

Check your email…..

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Hey Greg……We need to get you in the mix, here.

Please PM me your email so I can put you on the distribution.

Are you going up Friday?

Thanks,

David

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

David after leaving Summit Ranger station do we exit out the back -ie the road that parallels hwy 108, then just stay on that road untill I see( what sign) the trail head turn off? When I'm not driving I tend not to pay attention to where we turn etc. DAH!!! I know. I have to go in on Fri. just to get a head start on Kat. HA! HA! She's crazy fast like a CAT. Jack

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Hey Jack…..just picked up your VM…..check your email…..

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools