Topic

Bay Area BPL Winter Camping – Part Two

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area BPL Winter Camping – Part Two

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Let's do it again

farther!

Saturday 3/13 to Sunday 3/14.

Snowshoe or ski.

Start at Crabtree trailhead at 6400' 5.2 miles to Burst Rock Junction at 8060' on Saturday. Return 4 miles to Gooseberry trailhead at 6550' on Sunday.

Free shuttle or walk back to car.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Would rather do this then Coe. Count me in.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Dave: Would love to go but can't that weekend. Somehow I'd like to eek out one more winter trip though. Hmmm . . .

-Jeremy.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Bumpo……

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I'm in for round two.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I'm in too.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'd love to but already made plans to go up to Bishop for the trout derby, have fun guys. Jack

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I live in the wrong part of the country… :(

David Lutz

@davidlutz

BUMPED – Anybody else up for it?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I am definately in. Dave, even if it is 5-6 folks it will still be a fun trip.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I might be in again. Hey Dave where is Crabtree trail head?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Hey Jack……It's the same trailhead as last time, but we'll do the whole loop.

Five miles in on Saturday, four out on Sunday.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I might be able to get Fri. off can some of us hike in on Fri.? I should know for sure by Mon. You guys are killing me with this long distance driving.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I might be up for 2 nights starting on Friday. I do think we could go somewhere else though, even if not far. There are so many places we haven't seen, and to just retrack our steps for half the trip…. Anyone willing to look up something in that area that might work for us, plus we get some new scenery?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

I would like to stick with this spot….I really want to get farther in and complete the whole loop.

We'll only be repeating the first 2.5 miles to Aspen Meadow from the last trip, the remaining 7 miles will be an all new loop, so we won't be backtracking on Sunday.

I hear what you're saying, I definitely want to check out other locations, just want to finish this spot first.

Dave

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

David, sounds good.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

One idea for those who want to get there on Friday and spend two nights out.

Friday arrivals could do the drive from home to the trailhead on Friday and hike in to the same campsite we used last time.

Friday arrivals could either wait for us there and get a late start when Saturday arrivals reach camp, or continue on to Saturday night's destination and we'll catch up there.

That would leave plenty of time to get the driving out of the way on Friday.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I am coming in on Sat. what time is everyone going to be at the trailhead??

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Hey Ken –

I'm thinking of leaving my house in Pleasanton at 7:00 – 7:30.

That ought to put me (us) at the trailhead at about 9:30.

Want to work out a carpool?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Might not be albe to carpool Dave. I might be in Fresno visiting family on Friday. I will know more in the next day or two. I will let you know. Thanks for the offer.

What is the route that we are following? Is it on the closed roads heading to Crabtree or are we on trails. The reason I am asking is that I am trying to decided between cross country ski's or my snowshoes. I am a beginner cross country skier and I am not that mobile

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Looks like I'm in for sure and I got Fri. off any takers for Fri? Jack

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Jack, I was hoping to make it on Friday, but I cannot take that day off. I hope you find some other takers; two nights are better than one…

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I can only do Sat. Debating between ski's and showshoes. Are we going to be on forest service roads? I am a beginner and I have never skied with a backpack on. I need alot of space!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Luck has it that I will likely be in CA that weekend and would love to meet some other BPL'ers. I would be up for both Fri and Sat nights. Need to get my trip finalized. The trailhead is near Donner Pass?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

We're actually going into Emmigrant Wilderness or right below it on HWY 108. Pincrest Lake is near there. You are more than welome to join if you'd like

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools