Topic

New to lightweight backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists New to lightweight backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Richardson

@redmatt

Locale: Midwest

Ryan, regarding your emergency whistle. If it gives you peace of mind take one, but I don't think you need two. I believe that pack has a sternum strap whistle.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@lynb87

Locale: Southwest US

I'd like to reiterate Ken's statement. If you get bit just get out. I can't tell you how many reports I heard growing up in AZ of people who tried to be Crocodile Dundee and got themselves in serious trouble. Also I've been camping, hunting and Civil War reenacting (and I mean canvas pup tents, straw and a blanket) in Arizona my whole life, never been bit, never been stung. If you know what too look for and are smart enough to avoid those situations you'll be fine. I mean rattlers want to be left alone so leave them be and they'll do the same to you. You might take a desert safety course instead and leave the pump at home.

As to the boots, if you're keeping them for the ankle support I can relate completely, especially out in the desert where loose rocks are everywhere. Try going down even just a little though to a Light hiking boot instead of the serious boots you have. they still have a pretty tough exterior and ankle support without the extra weight and the only thing I ever used for hiking in AZ. Plus your feet will be happier in the desert in summer with lighter boots.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

The venom kit was one of the first items to go based off the recommendation of experienced desert hikers here.

It is true that the Osprey pack has a whistle on the sternum strap. I find it is quite lacking compared to the screeching twin tone pulsating audible beacon that weighs less than an ounce in the emergency kit. It could also be given to another hiker to be used as a form of distant communication.

My 4lb boots are overkill. They have served me well in the desert southwest though and the support was nice. They also serve as my winter boots. My feet feel awful heavy after 10 miles of canyon hiking sometimes.

I find the Inov-8's many people here wear to be very interesting. For less than 1/4 the weight of my current boots I could get a a pair of Roclite 390 GTX.

The one thing that concerns me with lightweight footwear is how well they will hold up over time. For example, how long would they last the average thru hiker on the AT or PCT?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Didn't Roger and his wife whistle when one was off course via compass in
    > "When things go bad" in a whiteout?
    NO WAY!
    A whistle would not have been heard more than 6 feet away in that gale!
    Sue stayed RIGHT behind me – until I walked over the cornice and avalanched. Then after considering all things carefully … she jumped over it too.

Cheers

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Thanks for the input on the Thermawrap Mike. The down inner jacket may also be more useful by extending the temperature of my W.M. 32deg. Summerlite (which is already plenty warm with just a shirt and pants at 32deg).

This may be a strange question but about what maximum temperature would you say the down inner jacket could be used as a insulation layer with an icebreaker baselayer?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools