Topic

air travel with a backpacker stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) air travel with a backpacker stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

As I stated previously, I have a small amount of very thin yellow pine, and it is streaked with sap. Then a package of firestarter sticks, or maybe two.

Maybe I will find some old oaken table leg that I can shred up. I'll pack an expensive camera body with that stuff (as packing material), so nobody will try to confiscate anything.

–B.G.–

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

August, 2009, I carried on hiking poles in a mailing tube as pictured in Benjamin's post above. I did have the tips covered and the tube closed with tape. I just put them through with my other carry-on bag. No questions asked. This was at Boston and LAX airports.
    36" tubes fit in overhead bins and are available at post offices and Staples.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Be SUL and go no cook. Those wood pellets are a hardwood blend. Available at Safeway/Vons or Home Depot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Wow! I thought that there was no problem with checked fuel bottles and stoves, as long a they were empty and open. It is hard to believe that no backpacker who flies anywhere takes a stove with them."

There's a huge difference between the rules on the books and enforcement, IMO. I had to throw a used fuel bottle in the trash under the watchful eye of a United Airlines ticket agent in Reno about 10 years ago. On the other hand, I have never had any trouble carrying a used stove in my checked luggage, even when there was a TSA notice of inspection slip in my bag on the other end of my flight. I tend to agree with Justin Taul's assessment of TSA types as undertrained, if not necessarily idiots. Not to mention understaffed for the volume of luggage being checked.

" As to poles — I understand they can be checked in a tube. There isn't any problem checking them in a suitcase or duffel bag instead, if you wish to, is there?"

I have checked my poles dozens of times in a duffel bag, both in a tube and wrapped in a GG Thinlite pad bungeed to the side of my pack. No problems so far, even when I found the little TSA inspection slip. I don't see why a suitcase would be any different. I think the reason they won't let you carry them on is a concern that they could be used as a weapon.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Tea light stove?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I had a positively evil thought…..Then, if they confiscate it, I can raise a stink."

Never, ever, pick a fight with the security folks. Win or lose, you lose. Fun to think about though. As a psychiatrist friend once observed, your thoughts can't be held against you". Yet…..

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm not sure that shipping or mailing fuel has any bearing on the issue at hand. I can't ship or mail anything to my destination. No post office and no mail delivery. Two moose and a beaver!

–B.G.–

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Interesting, I have received Esbit Fuel tablets which were posted internationally.

However, the information does not say what can be checked in for international flights.

BTW in Australia there was a case where the TSA persons (equivalent thereof) stopped a school group from flying because they had stoves (no fuel) in their luggage. (Still looking for the actual article)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

So to bring up an old, but not to old to be irrelevant thread… so nobody ever said about a canister stove. I know no fuel can be brought, but what about a stove.?

Is this thread, (which isn't the most entertaining thread I've ever read:) it is alluded to the fact that TSA may have a certain degree of discretion. If I tried to check a bag with poles and a Jetboil (which would be in the cup, and obviously part of some commercial product to boil water) do you think I'd work? Portland to Sacramento

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jeff:

There is NO problem checking a stove. You can even carry it on if you wish. Fuel is the problem. So when bringing a stove (checking or carrying) — make sure that it is completely free of any fuel residue — or any trace of fuel smell.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Thank you sir,

How would one go about cleaning the stove?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My alky and canister stoves both stay pretty darn clean actually — prolly because I only ever boil water with it — so no grease or filthy coating. And no fuel smell either. The only thing I've ever done with them is a few wipes after each use.

But if your stove is dirty with grease, etc. — then I would give it a good wash — and let dry thoroughly. If you smell fuel residue at all, you can gently burn it off.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Dang quick answer:)

All I do is boil water. No food residue. I guess I'll be OK. hopefully won't have to rent a locker…

Thanks, Ben

Mike Melancon

@mjmkjun

Stow 2 bics in check-in bag(s). Stow 2 in carry-on bag. TSA will removed the ones prohibited. You can claim confusion at wording of regulations.
    Pack cotton balls and a jar of vasoline. At camp process fire-starters: smear cotton balls well with vasoline and double bag in ziplock bags–they burn long enough. It can't rain everyday, can it? :/

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

If you can't locate a source for a small amount of pellets, check out pet stores that sell more "natural" supplies. Some of the alternative kitty litters these days are compressed wood products–sawdust. Just make sure you don't get the ones that are newspaper based. You should have enough time before you leave to conduct a burn test, and how could a little kitty litter be a hazard?

Viewing 16 posts - 76 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools