Topic

Japanese Layering System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Japanese Layering System

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Where does one buy brynje clothing in the U.S.?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Hi Joe, I've had the net base-layer for quite a while now and often thought about using it alone with my Montane Extreme Smock, but always thought the Smock would be too hot while walking. I also have an older Montane Epic Jacket, which is a thinner version of the Extreme Jacket and wonder if that would work as well as the Rab Vapour Rise Smock (which I also have, but I don't like the way it fits). With a pertex-pile system and a soft-shell over that you'd have a very versatile and breathable system.

Which of the Brynje net garments do you use, the Super Micro Net or the Super Thermo Net? I'm thinking these would fit a lot better than the Finetrack garments.

May I also ask which soft-shell and duvet you use?

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I have no idea where to buy Bryjne in the US. The company are pretty 'traditional' (just check out the photos on their website!) but they responded to e-mails well so drop them a line and they will try their best to help you find some.

The beauty of the mesh base layer is that it adds warmth to 'Pertex& pile' shells but still allows them to function as designed. I don't wear the Bryjne under the Vapour Rise unless the temperature is heading south past -10C (14F), it's too warm for me, but I do run hot. Around, and just below freezing the 'P&p' stuff works better next to the skin.

I'm currently using Super Thermo Net, which I believe is slightly thicker than the Super Micro.

I also understand that these mesh base-layers work well under merino base-layers, adding warmth without affecting the wicking properties. The only problem with these base-layers is that you cannot, under any circumstances, wear them as casual apres-ski wear….

I currently use a simple highly water-resistant, hooded Montane wind-shirt as my outer soft-shell but have a Pertex Equilibrium jacket on it's way that has a better hood. My duvet jackets are either a Primaloft stuffed Montane Flux in warmer, damp weather or a down filled Montane North Star when it's cold and dry.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools