Topic

Training for a speed hike.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Training for a speed hike.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 126 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

I did take some prescription NSAID's with me, but didn't end up taking any because the issue with my legs was less inflammation and more cramping.

My intake of food and electrolytes should have been plenty. I was consuming about 200-250 calories per hour and taking electrolytes about every half hour during the hottest part of the day.

I honestly think the issue was that I just wasn't fit enough. A month and a half ago I did 41 miles with practically zero fatigue. The only issue that day was that I developed tendinitis in my ankles, which I'm pretty sure was due to worn out shoes. I think my level of fitness deteriorated enough in that time that I simply couldn't handle the miles.

Also, the last 12 miles gained about 3500 feet in elevation and consisted of pretty tough terrain. I did most of those during the major heat of the day, so I'm sure that added to the issue.

Like I said, it is what it is. I knew going in that this was a possibility. I'm less upset about it than I expected I would be. I guess I still feel like I got a lot out of the experience, so I'm not bumming out about it too much.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My intake of food and electrolytes should have been plenty. I was consuming about 200-250 calories per hour and taking electrolytes about every half hour during the hottest part of the day."

Which electrolytes specically? Were you taking just sodium and potassium, or were you including calcium and magnesium as well? Most electrolyte mixes are light on calcium and magnesium, and a shortage of either can cause cramping.

Kevin Landolt

@distantfellow

After four days on the CT, (33 miles first day, 27 the second, 31 on the third), over Kenosha Pass and Georgia Pass. I felt great: fit, had my systems dialed, positive attitude… unfortunately my feet were not on the same page as the rest of my body. I trained pretty hard for this trip – the goal being a sub 20 day thru-hike of the CT. I logged lots of miles trail-running on steep rocky trails and using the same shoes/socks as I would on the CT. I also logged several "big" days alpine climbing in RMNP – carrying a heavy pack over rough terrain on long approaches, spending 12+ hours moving steadily…

My pack for the CT was pretty light with a six pound base-weight and 23 pounds total-weight (most of that weight being food that I would consume at a steady rate, thus lightening my load noticably day to day. I've used the same trail-runners – older model Montrail Hardrocks – for a couple of years now and have enjoyed blisterless feet. I have in the past struggled with heel blisters, but these shoes totally solved that problem and I haven't had any issue with my toes prior to this trip. I even opened a brand new pair for the CT, breaking them in pain free the weeks prior.

I'm pretty bummed! I felt full of juice coming over the divide, my legs strong… But I guess we are only as strong as our weekest link. Now I re-plan and re-group, maybe try again?

My toes...

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Kevin,
    You are in serious need of some Lueko Tape.
    Just pre-tape and you won't have these problems anymore.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Kevin
    do you use Injini Toe socks ?
    I swear by them to help prevent what I see in your photos.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I'm guessing that the weather was hot. I switched a year ago from normal lightweight wool hiking socks to very lightweight Wrightsocks. My goal is to keep my feet as cool as possible which cuts down on blisters. The Wrightsocks are double layer also which is supposed to reduce friction to your feet by having the two layers slide relative to each other. This combined with powder every few hours and my Solomon XA Pros and blisters are virtually eliminated for daily mileage approaching 50. For the infrequent hotspot you might also try some of the liquid bandage products.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Big thing is to make sure the toe box is large enough, especially on downhills. I recently did a hike and wore some wool socks that are a tiny bit thicker than normal, trying to compensate for an injury to the ball of one of my feet. I just wanted a little more cushion. On a long downhill hike I got the same blisters on both of my longest toes. Also it was hot weather. Never had that problem with my shoes (XA Pros).

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I often get hotspots (pre-blisters) on longer hikes but the only treatment I know about is moleskin.

Can you be specific about what powder you use? (I do have warm feet that perspire and it makes blisters more likely)

Can you also explain what this liquid bandage thing is about? How exactly does it help compared to usual bandage?

(I wear North Face Cushioned Running Quarter Socks (80% Coolmax polyester, 19% nylon) in a non-Gore Tex version of the North Face Hedgehog trail shoes.. really breathable and very thin top mesh layer.)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

The product I take is call new skin. It smells just like clear fingernail polish and very likely is similiar. Ideally you would paint it on a hot spot prior to getting a blister. My experience has been that it will last several hours even when it gets wet. The biggest advantage I see is that it won't fall off like a normal bandage and it you can put it places that would be difficult to bandage or tape.

As far as powder, I use two different kinds depending on trip. The best for me is any medicated powder that will also keep away athlete's foot.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Just like half of the other hikers here, I have had hot spots on my feet. About once every five years, I get a full blister. I'm not sure that I understand exactly what causes a hot spot. Is it from friction, or is it more from heat exposure?

Back in my high school track days, they made us fix up our feet before we did any long runs. First of all, we applied rubbing alcohol to the foot skin in any places where blisters might form. We were told that it caused the skin to toughen if it was applied every day for a couple of weeks. Then, right before the long run, we painted the same skin places with Tincture of Benzoin, which stains the skin somewhat tan or brown. We were told that it also toughened the skin, but it also prepared the skin so that tape would stick better. Maybe all of that is old school wisdom now, but it worked for us back then during the Taft Administration.

–B.G.–

Kevin Landolt

@distantfellow

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm determined to heal up and hop back on the trail. I'm looking into a new pair of shoes with a roomier toe-box and will check out some of the other blister prevention products mentioned. My feet are destroyed! You should have seen me limping those last 12 miles of segment 6 into Breck, b-lining it up mainstreet for the Brewery – that put a little pep in my step, or limp. I think I was attempting to compensate for the pain in my toes by weighting my heels more and now they're swollen and tender. Like I mentioned before, the 30 miles a day felt really reasonable to me in terms of fitness, but when I get back on the trail – hopefully in a couple of weeks – I plan on starting off with several 20 mile days in hopes of toughening up my feet a bit, before pushing the 30s – and maybe a couple of 40s? Hiking far fast in beautiful country is exhilerating! I'm also going to change up my gear list a little to include a stove – possilby a BushBuddy or little soda-can alcohol stove… maybe even bring some water-colors or a book along. At least take it slow and easy the first few days, relax a little, then ditch the weight and cruise when my feet seem ready.

Gear

Viewing 11 posts - 126 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools