Topic

Best material to make a wallet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best material to make a wallet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

I'm looking into making a light weight wallet, so here's the question what is the most durable YET light weight material for this project. And cost really isn't that big of an issue at the moment.

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

Wallets are made of leather for a reason: it's very durable. A good leather wallet can last for decades of daily abuse.

For occasional use hiking, or traveling, however, I've made a silnylon wallet and am quite happy. It's almost waterproof, weighs next to nothing, and helps me keep organized when I commute to other countries (something I do weekly). Making it myself allowed me to custom size it for exactly what I need, which was determined by the size of my passport. It's not the most durable, but the slickness actually helps it out quite a bit. I don't expect it to last forever, but it only took about an hour to make.

If it's only for hiking, well, anything will do. A rubber band around your cards and cash is about as light as it gets.

Warren Maslowski

@cqber

Locale: Southeast

Andrew, I was thinking of something like silnylon.

I don't need something thats going to last forever, I just need something to carry my bills, drivers license, and maybe a credit card or two, that's kind of waterproof. Where do you get your supply from?

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Simblissity makes some UL wallets… See below for some ideas:

http://www.simblissity.net/litefold_productpage.htm

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

just use a ziplock plastic sandwich baggie.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

Tyvek works well. Below is link for making one out of a tyvek fedex express envelope:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tyvek-FedEx-Wallet-with-Change-Pocket/

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I know this isn't MYOG, but I have this wallet. .49 oz empty. They also make all spinnaker ones that are even lighter.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Duct Tape:

Duct Tape Wallet

OR Cuben Scrap

If you do a really good job Ryan may re-design it to weigh 2 pounds and add it to his growing line of Super Heavy Gear (SHG).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a rubber band for driver's license, debit card, medical insurance and a little cash.

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I made mine of scraps from a tarp project.

It's water resistant, and doesn't sog-up with body sweat when I wear it in a money belt. But forget about waterproofing it, there are to many seems in too small a place. Plus putting sealer on it would be like putting grip strips on a slide.

Forget waterproofing if its for backpacking; all currency is made of very high-quality, basically water resistant paper. It may absorb some water, but otherwise it will remain perfectly fine. If you insist, a sandwich bag (or if you're obsessive, and alosak) will work just fine.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> my bills, drivers license, and maybe a credit card or two, that's kind of waterproof.

AFAIK bills, credit cards and drivers licences are all made of plastic these days. You don't need 'waterproof'. A simple silnylon bag slightly larger than the CC is enough. That's what I use, anyhow.

Cheers

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

I have the same as Roger, a simple silnylon sleeve just thick enough to hold a license, bank/credit cards, and a couple of bills. It shows no signs of wear after two years of daily use.

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

Chisco Wallets

Chisco Floating Marsupial
    Chisco Surf

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Has anyone ever sewn currency bills together?

Maybe make a wallet out of money.

Just a thought.

Could actually be worth more as a wallet.

Hmmm, maybe a new pack or shelter made from money.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Hmmm, maybe a new pack or shelter made from money.

Try Cuben fabric?

Cheers

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

Which would be pretty close to making it out of money.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

"I know this isn't MYOG, but I have this wallet. .49 oz empty. They also make all spinnaker ones that are even lighter."

I've had that exact wallet for less than a year and all the corners have worn through from daily use. Well at least I now have a template to make some replacements..

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Here's a couple of patterns:

http://www.andersj.se/planbok1.htm
    http://www.andersj.se/planboken3.htm

Both in swedish, so you need to use Google translate or the like.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I have this wallet. .49 oz empty.

An empty walker wallet … Sad :-)

Cheers

Jang-Tian Shieh(Syoten)
    BPL Member

@syoten

Locale: Taiwan

P1255521.JPG
    I usually use this to be my wallet since it's light, strong and waterproof. It weighs only about 3 gram, 0.1 oz. Besids, I might bring some other ones to store stuffs such as lighter, battery, cotton swabs etc..

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"Maybe make a wallet out of money."

How about some Zimbabwean currency? You could have a wallet that cost a billion, and it would probably be cleaner than an American bill.

Steve Small

@lustreking

My duct tape wallet has lasted surprisingly long. I think that I've been using it for 2 or three years, but it is due for replacement. I think that when I get the chance, I'll make one out of silnylon scraps that I have using the pattern for the duct tape version.

j emery
    BPL Member

@nctbaldwin

Locale: At the 'puter

I picked up a swimers wallet on promo at Wallgreens. Paper pad, golf pencil, and pockets for cash and cards for free. 78 grams wt.

Jeff Levison

@jeff-levison

Locale: AK

Material: Tyvek (barrier material used to wrap houses with)

I can't take credit for this, as the other day I was searching for the same topic and came across this:

http://www.dynomighty.com/product_detail.php?Explorer-Mighty-Wallet%E2%84%A2&d=mighty+wallets+DY-502

they make these out of tyvek, but would be simple enough to get hold of actual the material yourself and sew a wallet together with. seems to be a great solution to a durable and ultra-light wallet.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools