Topic

Sling light chair????

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Sling light chair????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Just received one of these from Sierra Trading Post:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1977X_Crazy-Creek-Cradle-Lounger-Camping-Chair.html

At $35 it seems like a bargain compaired to the sling light chair ($90). I'm curious if it's just a sling light that has been rebranded as crazy creek. I've looked at all the sling light stuff on the web and this chair seems identical.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sure looks like one. Where is Denis Hazelwood? He's the sling light expert.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I believe the Crazy Creek is made with permission of the original inventor- but it's slightly heavier. 4 ounces more per a post on another forum (23 vs. 19 oz). Crazy Creek was selling them on their website for something like $25 but I don't see them listed now.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Ken,
    The definition of an expert is as follows: An ex is a has-been and spurt is just a drip under pressure.

In '05 I stopped at the Crazy Creek HQ, in Red Lodge, Montana to pick up a fist full of catalogs for my summer workshop. I noticed that they offered a Crazy Creek version of the Sling-Light. It seems they probably got a license to build the chairs and sure enough REI had them on sale for about a year. REI hasn't had them in stock for some time now. I guess they didn't sell.

The Crazy Creek version of the Sling-Light uses heavier tubing than the original. Don't know what they weigh.

The Crazy Creek website doesn't show them any more but they're listed for sale at Target.com for $44.99.

I believe the chairs from Freeform R & D are made one at a time in southern California. I talked to the owner years ago and he said he sold about three or four hundred a year, year in and year out, with no advertising.

Manufactured since 1977 by
    FREEFORM R & D
    1539 Monrovia Ave. Unit 23
    Newport Beach, CA 92663
    Phone (949) 646-3217 Fax (949) 646-3218

The SlingLight Eight
    Here is a photo of a group I was leading in 1995. Maybe the most Sling-Lights ever seen in one place outside the factory.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

From what I remember when I looked at these a bit ago, the Crazy Creek were much heavier than the SlingLights.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Just weighed mine: 25 oz. Slinglight website indicates 22 oz for theirs (18 oz chair plus 4 oz head rest. So if the sling light chair weight is to spec the crazy creek one is 3 oz heavier.

James Mudler

@jmudler

On sale at STP for $27.96

kris dunn

@krisdunn

These are also on special at crazycreek.com for $20 + shipping (about $10 for me)…

https://www.crazycreek.com/product/specials/66/

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I have a SL and while it doesn't always come with me for certain trips it is a luxury that is divine. The quality is well done.

This is one area where buying the real thing is worth it. Support the man behind it, not some cheap import rip off!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools