Topic

Waterproof cameras?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Waterproof cameras?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dean

Yes, we do have deserts, but they don't seem to be dusty. More stony I think.
    2369LarapintaCampsite
    Camp at the head of Lomindra Gully on the Larapinta Trail in Central Australia.

The 'hills' are the eroded remnants from 60 Million years ago – ancient bones of time. Water is scarce – this was a dry camp with our water in the bottles in the tent.

Cheers

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

I honestly didn't think about dust. Good points; although then the name should probably be "weatherproof" or something like that. Waterproof cameras, then, have other sealing options that clearly make them suitable for dusty, sandy, windy environs. It sounds like a good option for your situation.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Bumping up this thread.

Since I dropped my three week old camera in the drink, I"m thinking of the TS1 for my next.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Tom,

You might want to hold off a bit, since a boatload (hah!) of new WP cameras have been unveiled recently, including a Panny FT2 and new Oly models that use SD cards (yay).

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_ft2_review/rivals/

Cheers,

Rick

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Now if they'd add a vari-swivel LCD, I'd be happy. I use that all the time on my Canon A620, especially while backpacking.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

A swivel screen would be nice, but I think that's asking for way too much since the waterproof cameras are supposed to be rugged too, and building a rugged swivel screen would almost certainly be very heavy.

I'd love to see them put in a gps chip in these weather resistant cameras, along with a real battery, or better yet, AA batteries.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

Hopefully they have improved on the shortcomings of their former W models

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/25372/pentax-optio-w90/

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

David Pogue at the NYT reviewed a few waterproof cameras/ camcorders today. They may more relevant because they are shockproof as well.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/technology/personaltech/22pogue.html?ref=technology

Peter Burke

@fishmonger

Locale: Midwest

Nikon D300 and D300S are pretty waterproof – but most lenses aren't…

Still, if you care about good photos, this is the cheapest DSLR that is environmentally sealed enough to be considered tough.

YouTube video

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

A Pentax K200d can be be bought on ebay for ~$250. It's pretty tough and has a sealed body. I like that it uses AA batteries.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools