Topic

Waterproof cameras?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Waterproof cameras?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Ok, shutterbugs. I'm no photographer, but I'm willing to fool around with setting aperture, shutter speed, etc manually once in a while. What are some good waterproof cameras? (Not waterproof like a dive camera- just waterproof like an "it's no big deal that I just dropped my camera into the pond" camera.)

I have an older Pentax W-somethingorother waterproof, but I find the lack of control frustrating. The longest shutter speed possible is only 4 seconds, for instance.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Olympus has a good line of waterproof cameras that are also very tough.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

All of my shots have been with an Olympus Stylus 720WP since 2006. I never adjust anything manually except for the flash. I am not going to say it is the camera that takes the best pictures for the weight, but it rains A LOT where I hike and it is nice to not have to worry all the time about my camera. I also tend to take pictures in the rain when everyone else I hike with is afraid to take their camera out of the ziplock.

My photos are here:

My Webshots Homepage

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Dean,

Can I suggest starting here?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

It's a reasonably comprehensive roundup of the current crop. I'd stay clear of Oly until they drop the inferior xD card format (slow and max of 2GB). If I were shopping today, I'd probably end up with the Panasonic TS1.

Cheers,

Rick

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I've used the TS1 through most of 2009 and LOVE it. And I'm super picky. It's a fantastic little camera for a waterproof, and it shoots very good video too.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My only complaint after looking at the Panasonic TS1 was the fact that it had no lens cover whatsoever. I just felt like that was a design oversight.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

The Consumer Electronics Show is happening right now, so there will be some new cameras introduced. That will probably mean some price reductions on the current crop of WP cameras in the coming months.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Thanks, all. I'll look up some of this stuff.

Rick- as a matter of fact I had found that review myself. But I'm, frankly, not educated enough on the subject to troll through the reams of technical specs and translate them. Thus my question: waterproof AND fully manually adjustable? My Pentax isn't terribly adjustable, and the 4 second limit on shutter speed REALLY irks me.

Offhand does anyone know the shutter speed range on the TS1? The Panasonic website says it has a "starry sky mode" so I asume that it is reasonable, but doesn't really say if there is a limit. Is it infinite?

Again, thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The FT1 / TS1's shutter speed in Intelligent Auto and Normal Picture modes ranges from 1/1300 to one second. There are some scene modes, for example, night scenery, candle light and fireworks where the shutter speed can go as slow as 8 seconds. The starry sky scene mode allows the setting of shutter speeds as slow as 60 seconds – longer than average for a compact.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

With CES going on there are boatloads of new cameras being unveiled, and from the swarm we discover that Oly has relented (finally) and plopped themselves into the SD card camp (ditto Sony). They unveiled this new "Tough" series camera so-equipped. Don't know how good it will be but I'm impressed at the 28mm eq. wide angle and the trout-lure pink option. Multiuse!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010704olytough3000.asp

Cheers,

Rick

Anonymous
    Inactive

And… It has Beauty Mode!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Rick brings up a good point about CES. Some nice cameras may come out. Sony just released a nonwaterproof camera that has a built in gps and compass to put location info into the exif data for your pictures. I think that's awesome. Too bad it's a Sony, with a memorystick and a lithium battery.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Plus its got 10x zoom.

My Oregon 550T isn't even 6 months old and I'm already considering the Gear Swap.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

The zoom is nice too. I'm just hoping someone makes a similar camera, except with SDHC memory, AA batteries and full manual mode. I don't think I'd be able to refuse that camera…if I have money.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Good news on the Sony front:

"A slot for Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD/SDHC memory cards (sold separately) is offered on all new models to suit users’ personal shooting preferences."

Death to xD and Memory Stick in one week. Progress I can believe in!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

That's awesome news!!!

Justin McMinn

@akajut

drowning in spam

@leaftye

That's amusing how they have a dig at its sensor size. Yes, it's a PS camera. Noisy pictures are what you get when you don't pay for a big sensor.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before you go too far down the camera selection road, just be aware that there are professional camera bodies with a high degree of weather-tightness. But, those would not be of interest to an ultralightweight photographer.

The compact slightly-waterproof cameras can pass some waterproof dunk tests, but those would not be of interest to a real photographer.

It kind of depends on whether you are doing photography, or whether you are just taking snapshots.
    –B.G.–

Justin McMinn

@akajut

A Wilson
    BPL Member

@alwilson

Locale: Earth

As a somewhat sheepish owner of a mediocre quality waterproof camera, and after two years and several thousand pictures with it, many on wet trips, waterproofness no longer very high on my backpacking camera features list. There are occasions where such will allow you to snap a shot you wouldn't take otherwise, but not many. I can honestly say that my camera has never been wet beyond a few drops. More important by far is a reasonably weatherproof, and easily accessible case. This will allow you to take pics with any camera without letting it be drenched.

What a waterproof camera provides the backpacker is a little insurance for those of us who are a bit protective of our gear. I'd take a close look at where you will likely be going, and determine how many pictures you'll be wanting to take while standing in a downpour. My suspicion is not too many. As a rugged backup for the professional (like Ryan) who can't afford to lose a shot, OK. But if it's your only cam, you'll get much more performance for your money, especially in low-light, by going for a higher-end point and shoot, I think.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Yes, Andrew, it is necessary. Importantly, waterproof cameras are almost always also rated DUSTPROOF. I often find myself in very unpleasant places- I picked up my current waterproof Optio in Afghanistan, for instance, where the model was very popular. Or, ever try to keep a camera functioning during a shamal? That talcum-fine dust gets in EVERYTHING.

So, yes- necessary.

As I've mentioned I'm not a shutterbug. I'm mostly taking snapshots and "I was there" kind of photos. But I am at least advanced enough to on occasion want to play with manual settings myself, or set up a long shutterspeed shot, or whatever. I'm definitely not into swapping lenses, though.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> ever try to keep a camera functioning during a shamal? That talcum-fine dust gets in EVERYTHING.

Understood, but maybe most BPL readers don't experience such dust storms?

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I've seen multiple people's camera lens get dust or dirt in them and no longer open up and extend out. I'll never buy anything except waterproof cameras for backpacking and paddle trips.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Heck, Roger, you Oz natives have some pretty significant deserts of your own, no? :o)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools