Topic

Your opinions on shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your opinions on shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Locale: Minnesota

I have been looking at tarps recently. I think it looks fun using a tarp but I have been having second thoughts. My current tent is decent(BA seedhouse sl2) but heavier than the tarps I have been looking at. For some reason I feel buying a tarp would be wasteful. My tent is in great shape still.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts?

Michael Walker

@mwalker

Locale: Everywhere. All of the time.

Yeah, same boat here. Was using a TT Contrail, but that's out of action. Currently have a Seedhouse SL1. Looking for something lighter for CDT and general three season use.

Joe's Hexamid has caught my eye but I'm 6'7" so doubt it'll work for me.
    Anything tickling your fancy at present?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

What do you mean by wasteful?

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Lets say you buy a blue car and drive it a few days. Then you see a red car and think "I have to have that red car." So you buy the red car and then you just park the blue car and never use it. That is my analogy about being wasteful.

I have been looking at the MLD monk tarp and recently the ray way tarp kit. I like the versatility of a rectangular tarp.

My main issue I'm kinda emotionally attached to my tent. I have had so many wonderful experiences while using it.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i think as long as you'd sell your tent you'd be ok :D

Mike K
    BPL Member

@38562-2-2

Had a chance to finally use this in weather this summer. Stood up well to a night of hail and heavy rain. Plenty of room under it for shelter and good pack coverage when used as a poncho.

Joseph Morrison
    Spectator

@sjdm4211

Locale: Smokies

You said: "My main issue I'm kinda emotionally attached to my tent. I have had so many wonderful experiences while using it."

It might have been wonderful using the tent but was it so wonderful carrying it? :) You can get a 14 oz. Equinox 8'x10' sil-tarp for $70 at campmor.com.

Joseph

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My son, Buddhism teaches us to lose our attatchments and thus free our spirit from its worldly fetters.

Therefore I admonish you:

Sell the d@mn thing and get a nice TarpTent Moment, as I did when I sold my beloved Contrail. Now I'm attatched to my Moment. (Do as I say, not as I do.)

Eric

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"For some reason I feel buying a tarp would be wasteful. My tent is in great shape still."

As others have said, sell the tent so that it's used. Or, I imagine, there's some kid who wants to get into scouting who can't afford a tent. Donating it is another option.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Own your things, don't let them own you. Sell it,and move on.

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

Maybe I should not post things when I'm tired. It's completely silly to say I'm attached to some nylon, aluminum and mesh.

Dave T

@davet

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Maybe I should not post things when I'm tired. It's completely silly to say I'm attached to some nylon, aluminum and mesh."

Mike, it's not silly to say it. Our brains are very interesting things. We can get attached to the most unusual things, and it's not 'wrong' to do so.

We're glad, however, to help you move past it. So you can buy more gear! Ben is especially good at that…..

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

A BA SL2 is a very different shelter than a tarp. You know what the tent can do. It will keep all the skeeters out and a tarp alone won't. My SL1 served me well but now I have a Moment. Keeping both of these would/could be viewed as "wasteful" and I will be passing on the SL1. I think having a tent AND a tarp is smart as it gives you plenty of options to tailor your gear to what best suits your trip. I like lots of room so my Moment is swapped out with a SpinnTwin if I don't need the netting and extra protection.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

When I was a younger man I had one tent,pack, bag, cookpot, etc and several girlfriends. Now one wife and several packs,bags, tarps,tents, cookpots. Needs vs wants whatever.
    I will go sit in the corner now until she says I can buy something else.

Jim

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

" For some reason I feel buying a tarp would be wasteful. My tent is in great shape still."

If you think about how many tents Roger Caffin has designed/built over the years, you would feel downright frugal!!

This is BPL. The whole existence of this forum is to explore lighter alternatives to backpacking. By it's very mission statement it is a wasteful forum as it requires experimentation ;) If you're not with us, you're against us.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

I guess I see two ways to approach the problem.
    1- I am way into frecycling (our new buzz word for giving it away). Up here in the middle of nowhere we have our fair share of economic challenges and I think that scouting is on the decline because of the associated costs(uniforms, gear, etc) IMHO
    2- It is nice to have options. Depending on the area, one may be better suited for comfort than the other. I forgot to see where you were from but up here a three season tent covered with a creatively arranged UL tarp makes a nice 4 season w/vestible. As a rule a tent can only be set up to a pre-determined shape and footprint. I have a MYOG tarp I made from a dome tent and I am almost certain I have never set it up the same way twice. I hammock camp in the woods, go to ground with a view in sub-alpine and prairie. Button down for weather. If you use trekking poles there is no argument that for most situations, for most people, in most places a tarp is far superior to a tent. Geography and weather vary and so does my sleep system. After that it becomes a matter of personal taste and phobias (bugs and critters joining you in your sleep or your fear thereof). I've had more attacks from stray rivulets of water than bugs. Try waking up to a slobbering bison poking his head into your shelter at 6am to figure out what is laying on his breakfast. But that's another story…..
    BJ

Hike hard, hike often.

ps. I am responding to the original post and to Douglas's or the needy child thing. Is there a way to make their post auto appear or do you have to manually type it in? If this is a stupid question or in the wrong place please excuse me and redirect. I am not a social computer user so am still learning etiquette.

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

Every post has 3 small icons in the upper right corner. Select the left icon (Reply); it will take you to a screen with the previous post and lower down a blank Commentary/Insight box for your reply and the Subject line is already filled in.

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

I'm going to keep the tent. Mainly because I'm trying to get some of my friends out there and they told me they don't like the idea of sleeping under a tarp. My sister is scared of animals climbing under the tarp(that is very silly).

I am going to get a tarp though. I'm probably going to make my own. I like the look of the tarps made from cuben but one of those will have to wait due to price. I would like a decent sized tarp so I could go without a bivy sack.

I made a piece of gear tonight. Just took a catfood can and punched some holes in it. It's way lighter than my MSR pocket rocket. I'm going to try to just use my titanium mug for boiling water for meals and hot drinks. Those two things drop a fair amount of weight for my cooking setup.

My mug is probably too small at 10oz.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

It sounds like you are keeping the tent, which makes sense. I kept my old REI backpacking tent and just use it for car camping (which I do on occasion). If I found that after five years or so that I just never use it, then I would get rid of it. The same goes for most of my stuff. I almost always know someone who could use it. If anything, that is in argument for buying high quality stuff. If you replace it with other good stuff, then other people will want your old stuff. If not, then you are left dealing with crap.

Oh, how I miss George Carlin. :)

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Mike B,

"Mainly because I'm trying to get some of my friends out there and they told me they don't like the idea of sleeping under a tarp. My sister is scared of animals climbing under the tarp(that is very silly)."

It has happened before.

Muahaha. ;)

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

A couple summers ago I went to Whitewater state park in SE MN. I went down there in search of the elusive trout. The first night I was just sitting by the fire and looking into the flames. I saw some movement on the other side of the fire but didn't pay too much attention to it. After a minute I suddenly realized a raccoon was staring at me. He was very interested in the cooler I was sitting on so I played the role of big scary human and chased him off.

Later that night at around 3am I heard rustling next to my rainfly. I started moving around and my movement was answered by a growling creature outside my tent. I have a cat like curiosity so I had to go see what was outside my tent. The process of unzipping my tent and climbing out took too long. The creature was long gone by the time I got out and stood up.

I have heard quite a few creatures running around my various campsites since I started camping. I really want to see the animals that wake me up. That way I don't have to play detective in the morning(I don't have to, I just want to.) A tarp will help me see the creatures I think.

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

Jim said "When I was a younger man I had one tent,pack, bag, cookpot, etc and several girlfriends. Now one wife and several packs,bags, tarps,tents, cookpots. Needs vs wants whatever.
    I will go sit in the corner now until she says I can buy something else."

Love it. That made my day. Glad someone else is in the same boat as me.
    There is nothing wrong with having more than one tenttarp. If you have the money to buy, please purchase something. Lets get this world turning agian.(Money make the world go round.) Buy something from an american cottage company like GG or tim marshal.

Michael Baker

@mcpacker

I like the look of the GG trekking poles. I also like the TiGoat poles and the ptarmigan bivy.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I like the look of the GG trekking poles. I also like the TiGoat poles and the ptarmigan bivy."

Someone was selling a Ptarmigan on gear swap recently. Don't know if it was sold.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools