Topic

2010 UL Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2010 UL Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I just added my first "Sub 10" 3-Season gear list to the Community Gear list…Feel free to judge,question and compete. "Keeping it Real" This list is designed for a 6"3-235lb hiker. Large hikers have different comfort levels then the Skurkas and Jordans of the world.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Very nice list. Here's a few comments….

1) I find using a hair elastic easier and lighter than using a bag for my sleeping pad. The regular NeoAir is the perfect size to use with one hair elastic (0.05oz).

2) If you want to shave weight you could switch to a short NeoAir and then use something else under your feet like a small pad that would double as a sit pad and as a back pad in your pack.

3) Do you need a 4200 cu inch pack? It seems huge for your gearlist. It might not be worth the money to switch, but the Exodus or Prophet might work a little better and save an ounce.

4) How is the Colgate Wisp toothbrush working out for you? It seems neat, but kinda wierd having the blob of toothpaste already on the brush. Can you use this for longer trips or does the brush only work once or twice? Hard to argue with 0.1oz.

5) You might like a Petzl e+Lite over your BD Ion because you get red light functionality and a wider 3 LED light for the same weight.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Dan, I do use hair elastics on occasion for rapping my tarp and rapping my guy lines and rope-I find them dependable and strong for there weight. That's a great idea to use them on my NeoAir and save me even more grams. Thanks!

As for a small NeoAir– I am 6"3 and find that the Regular NeoAir fits me perfect–I also have the the large NeoAir–Lets just say I have some sleeping issues-everybody's different when it comes to comfort levels.

The MLD Ark is a large pack but that is when the pack is fully extended. To be honest I also have old Jam at 3100Ci but it ways 24oz vs 15.4oz. On weekend hike I will take the Jam and on Multi-Day trips I will take the MLD Ark- My Bearikade Scout fits in it perfect.

Thanks for the feedback

-Jay

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good job Jay! Will we be seeing this setup at Point Reyes? I hover around 8 1/2- 9 pounds of stuff as well. As far as percentages of body weight goes. We are still doing great.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Ken, I should be taking the majority of the things on my gear list–January is in the 4Th season range on the Nor Cal Coast so I will probably take a warmer sleeping bag, warmer jacket and maybe a different shelter system depending on the weather conditions–I almost forgot– I will also be bringing a Starter Log for the standing BBQ– maybe a few Heinekens and Guacamole & Chips.

-Jay

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hey Jay great list, how do you incorporate that brass strainer into your hydration setup? Does it go over the mouth of your Platy? I'm interested in using chemical tablets or drops for purifying water but haven't figured out how to "prefilter" or strain sediment out of the water.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I put the brass screen strainer right in the mouth of the Platy—very simple to use…ANTI-FLOATIES!!!!!!

-Jay

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Gotcha. Nothing like swallowing mosquito larvae! Down with the floaties, Oi! Oi! Oi!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Nothing like swallowing mosquito larvae!

It's all good protein, and medically quite harmless.

Cheers

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Can't argue with the list. Looks good, hit all the essentials. I'd get a real toothbrush, though.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The only thing I see that is really heavy (the heaviest item) is the tarp-TENT. Could you nix the tent, and go with a simple tarp?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Mike, Thanks for the feedback..I could use a GG SpinnTwinn tarp at around 10oz and go even lighter. I would not use a tarp in the shoulder season or would I use a tarp in peek bug season..But everybody has different comfort levels. I have a MLD Serenity Shelter I use with my tarp…I am slowy turning into a tarptent guy because of the smaller footprint, easy site selection and most important IMHO is the easy set up! After a 8 to 10 hour day of hiking I am starting to get lazy and like the 2 minute set up (Sublite-Sil)…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools