Topic

2009 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 2009 Backpacking Light Staff Picks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

NeoAir in large. More comfortable than the bed at home. 25" wide=BLISS!

Montbell inflatable pillow. BTW a buff make the perfect pillowcase

Caldera cone compact. Storage problem solved!

Got some Montbell down inner pants this year that are great so far also.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1) Gossamer Gear LT4's-best poles I've ever used.
    2) Inov8 Roclite 370's-best shoes I've ever used. Outstanding on granite.
    3) ULA Ohm-Despite a couple of minor shortcomings, a great pack. I've never used a better one for the kind of hiking I do.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

No Order

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 Trekking Poles—Simple and Adjustable! 7.4oz for two-WOW!

Large NeoAir—19oz of R.E.M. and Comfort! I have never slept so good out in the woods.

TarpTent—Sublite-Sil 21.5oz of head room,width and length. Fast and easy two minute set up! Only needs 4 tent stakes in good weather-8 total if need be. Simplicity at its finest! I wonder why I see the Sublite-Sils being sold in Gear Swap so often?

This website(BPL)—-Knowledge Nuggets to the max and there House Gear if it is ever in "Fing" stock!!!!!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The one outstanding item I got this year is the 2009 Tarptent/Gossamer Gear Squall Classic. It is super easy to get a good taut pitch on it, with the bathtub floor standing up on all 4 sides. It is nice and light–25.6 ounces after doing plenty of seam sealing and painting non-skid patches on the floor. It's just the right size for my 80-lb. dog and me and would be OK with one of my grandkids added. It would be a snugger fit for two adults, and certainly two couldn't sit up at the same time. While I'm keeping an eye on Joe Valesko's interesting new Hexamid, I'm quite satisfied with the Squall Classic and don't plan to make a change. EDIT LATER: I forgot to mention the center ZIPPERED vestibule!!! No more velcro, hallelujah!

The second good item is a 5-oz. Montbell Chameece vest, which I got this fall to supplement base layer and windshirt when hiking in the wind at freezing temps (still too warm for the puffy jacket). So far, though, I've mostly worn it around the house and in town–it's almost too pretty to take on the trail!

The not-so-good items that went back included the NeoAir–I just couldn't get comfortable with it, and by the time I would add back a thick CCF pad to stay warm in below-freezing temps, it would be as heavy as my POE Insulmat Max Thermo (older version of the Ether Thermo). The latter, for me, is far more comfortable. Another return was the Equinox bivy (too narrow for a WM Ultralight Super sleeping bag). The third return was a pair of 2009 Montrail Hardrocks, definitely no relation to the older Hardrock we all knew and loved, and about as supportive as a pair of bedroom slippers.

David Ure

@familyguy

"by the time I would add back a thick CCF pad to stay warm in below-freezing temps"

The Neo Air is rated to 32 degrees – not lower. No surprise you were cold.

"I wonder why I see the Sublite-Sils being sold in Gear Swap so often?"

No vestibule.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

David, The Sublite-Sil does have a Mini Vestibule but it is Mini. I have thought of bringing a Equinox 6×8 tarp at 9oz for "just in case" but have not.. I guess I have been lucky so far.

-Jay

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I have thought of bringing a Equinox 6×8 tarp at 9oz for "just in case" but have not"

You should consider the MLD mini tarp, 5×5 at 4.9 oz and only $45.

David Ure

@familyguy

Depends where you hike Jay – I guess. I like the design and inherent stability of the 2 pole design, but am not keen on bringing my wet pack and muddy boots in with me. I would like to see a vestibule added even if it increased the weight to that of the Contrail. Then the Contrail could be discontinued. I believe the design of the Sublite Sil is superior to the Contrail in every way. A natural progression from the mind of Henry Shires (the tireless mind I should add).

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Douglas, I will check out mini tarp..I think that is there dog tarp?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

No particular order, and a bonus entry from Jacci.

Arctic mukluks by Steger Mukluks: My feet were warm and dry in a myriad of conditions with these muks on. For the UL hiker, they're 20 oz per foot of warmth. Try to get that out of any other full-on winter boot. You won't. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the laces from absorbing moisture and freezing at night…

Dixon Double Bivy by Oware (Dave Olson): I bought this for use with an Oware CatTarp 2 for the special lady and I, and we love it. The the Pertex has excellent water-resisting (almost water proof?!) capabilities and it kept us dry during adeluge in a poor camping site.

Z1 by Zpacks.com (Joe Valesko): Simple design with a full features made this frameless pack my go-to when I didn't need to carry a tent. Solo, I could probably go a week with the pack size and more if I didn't cook. The design only gets better with the use of Dyneema in Joe's latest iterations.

Honorable mentions: GossamerGear LightTrek3s; Integral Designs MK1 XL; Integral Designs VB socks; MYOG torso pad (hacked Ridgerest).

Jacci's gear of the year is the GoGirl. The GoGirl is an FUD (Female Urination Device) offered at the wonderful price of $6.00 a piece! Simply put: women use the GoGirl to pee standing up. No longer do I have to go 1/2 mile off trail to find a suitable tree to drop trou behind. I can stand aside the path just like my fiance. Of course, it takes some practice…and I recommend using it with a skirt. The GoGirl is made out of medical-grade silicone so it reusable and germ resistant. And the best feature for ultra-lite backpacking is it's ability to keep its shape after being shoved, squished, and compressed into the tightest places in my pack.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I think that is there dog tarp?"

Yeah, he calls it the mini tarp/dog tarp/emergency tarp! On the sublite, I would think you could tie two ends together around the top of the sublite, and use sticks or something to prop up the other two ends to form a sort of vestibule. I haven't done this, just seems doable.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

David Ure: :"by the time I would add back a thick CCF pad to stay warm in below-freezing temps"

"The Neo Air is rated to 32 degrees – not lower. No surprise you were cold."

You'd be surprised how many people on this board claim the NeoAir is nice and warm down to 15* with an 1/8" CCF pad or even with nothing at all! I made the mistake of believing them!

My main problem with the NeoAir was that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find the "sweet spot" between too hard a pad and my hip (very pressure-sensitive) on the ground. And the crosswise tubes kept "bucking me off." YMMV, of course!

David Ure

@familyguy

"You'd be surprised how many people on this board claim the NeoAir is nice and warm down to 15* with an 1/8" CCF pad or even with nothing at all! I made the mistake of believing them!"

That has happened with a few pieces of gear I own!

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

My top three new items this year are as follows:

1. Tarptent Moment. My maiden journey included light snow and lots of rain. I stayed completely dry, not including a little bit of condensation, which was a lot less than any previous single wall tarptent I have owned. And so easy to set up taut!

2. GG Lighttrek 4's….they're great.

3. BPL's new Merino UL Beanie. At 0.6 oz, this thing is incredible. I wore it constantly on my most recent cold, snowy, rainy trip. Not too tight, not too loose, wore over my balaclava at night, under hood in rain. I just hope BPL, in their efforts to streamline inventory, don't quit stocking this gem!

Honorable mention: Montane Lightspeed Jacket. Windproof, super breathable, water-resistant.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"You'd be surprised how many people on this board claim the NeoAir is nice and warm down to 15* with an 1/8" CCF pad or even with nothing at all! I made the mistake of believing them!"

I did have the NeoAir with a Ridgerest underneath down to 18.3 degrees on an elevated wooden floor (AT shelter). Lots of snow on the ground. I was very toasty! The Ridgerest is, of course, much better than an 1/8" CCF pad! But the combo (the Ridgerest is a small) is only 23 oz. And the Ridgerest also works as support for my pack.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I bought a lot of gear in 2009 going from around 24 pounds for a 3 day trip to around 18 pounds or less for the same trip so this is tough.

1. Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus – I originally wanted a ULA Circuit, but tried the Mariposa and it carries like it was made for me. It is just as comfortable with 20 pounds as my old Mountainsmith Phantom which was twice the weight. I liked this pack so much I also bought a Gorilla as the Mariposa Plus was a little big for my summer kit.

2. Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter & Alpinelite Bug Shelter 1.25 Combo – I had been using a BA Seedhouse SL1 and although I was very happy with it, I wanted something lighter. This combo gives me the same amount of square footage as my Seedhouse and is a full double wall shelter for a scant 23oz including stakes and guylines. That is lighter than the Tarptent Contrail.

3. BPL Pro 90 Balaclava – I am a side/stomach sleeper that has never used the hood on a sleeping bag, and I have gone through several hats and balaclava’s looking for something that was light, warm, and wouldn’t come off during the night. This is it.

Runner Up:

ULA Rain Wrap – This is the rainwear to use in the summertime here in the Southeast.

Other items that I like, but don’t yet have enough experience with to warrant putting them in my Gear for 2009 list

Golite Ultra 20 – This is my first quilt, and it makes since to me because I never use the hood of a bag. I have used this for three nights in the mid twenties and have been plenty warm, but I don’t think three nights is enough to get me to sell off my WM sleeping bags yet, but it is getting there.

Caldera Cone – So far this is making me think of getting rid of my canister stove forever. I only have a month or so with it so we will see how it does in 2010.

Nunatak Skaha Plus with overfill – I picked this up to replace my non hooded Mont-Bell Alpine Jacket and help me push the Golite Ultra 20 down into the single digits. I haven’t gotten a chance to use it yet, but I get the feeling that is going to change here soon. We have had some cold weather here the past few weeks.

Marmot Essence – Full rain jacket protection with a nice hood and good breathability for 6.4oz in a Mens medium. It seems to good to be true, but so far it seems like the real deal.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

My top 3, in no particular order;

1. GG SpinnTwinn tarp for 2, very roomy and simple!

2. Nunatak BCB, made extra wide for 2, then modified by removing velcro, closing footbox, and adding draft sheets to sides. Has kept us warm well below freezing.

3. MYOG Caldera Ti-Tri for Heineken pot…total for stove/windscreen/pot/lid is 3.35oz. Easy to use in woodburning mode, and esbit or alcohol as a backup.

2009 has been a year of simplifying my gear, and getting my base weight below 7lbs (to include shelter & quilt for 2).

2010 will bring more MYOG projects (backpack in the works), and hopefully help some heavy weight backpacking boy scouts to see the light (pun intended).

Happy Trails :~)>

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Arctic mukluks by Steger Mukluks: My feet were warm and dry in a myriad of conditions with these muks on. For the UL hiker, they're 20 oz per foot of warmth. Try to get that out of any other full-on winter boot. You won't. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the laces from absorbing moisture and freezing at night…"

How many miles do you hike in these comfortably? They look fantastic!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Arctic mukluks by Steger Mukluks: My feet were warm and dry in a myriad of conditions with these muks on. For the UL hiker, they're 20 oz per foot of warmth

20oz … outstanding! My oversized Inov8 390GTX are 18oz per shoe … that's before adding thick socks and an insulated insole. Although I'm sure you wear a smaller size. Which model are you wearing?

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the laces from absorbing moisture and freezing at night…

I wonder if silicone leather treatment would work for that.

Might be worth asking the Steger folks, after all they do live in work in exactly the climate their product is designed for.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Now I just need to figure out how to keep the laces from absorbing moisture and freezing at night…
    > I wonder if silicone leather treatment would work for that.
    In my experience the silicone wears off too quickly, otherwise it would be a good idea. A bit of fluorocarbon DWR maybe? Or maybe just a good dose of Sno-Seal?

Cheers

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

GG Light trek 4's
    Neoair pad
    Montbelle spiral down hugger #2

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Gear this year that earned top honors in my gear closet are…

1 – MLD Prophet
    2 – Caldera Cone
    3 – Custom Nunatak Ghost

Honorable mention to MLD Cuben Grace Solo and JRB Stealth

My 2009 MYOG list is
    1 – MYOG Quilt (3" loft weights <21 oz worked down to 15 degrees)
    2 – Ray Jardine Backpack Kit
    3 – MYOG Minitent (12.9 oz in silnylon)

Honorable mention to Thru-Hiker Kinsman Pullover

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I've gone through two coatings of their silicone spray. I called the folks in Ely about the issue, and they really didn't have an answer. I suggested Sno-Seal, and they said that sounded OK. I'm going to use it eventually (likely this coming week) on the laces. Perhaps the customer service rep was new or something.

I use their Arctic model (without the ribbon).

I haven't tested them for mileage, but Will Steger and company have hiked across Antarctica with them.

I wear size 9 double wide, with the following sock combo: X-static liner, ID VBL, Smartwool Mountaineer.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

My 3 favorite gear aquisitions over the past twelve months:

1. ZPacks Zero L (awesome – custom; transformable from kid's to adult pack!)

2. Coast LED Lenser Micro Headlamp Model 7451 (simple +uses just one AAA)

3. REI 400ml Titanium mug + Sippy Lid (used ~ every day for tea + hydration)

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

1. Therm-A-Rest NeoAir

2. GG Vapor Trail (post mod)

3. ZebraLight H60

I think this is a dupe thread. I'm pretty sure I answered this elsewhere. No matter. I have to also thank BackpackingLight.com and all of you guys for your help this year. I've dropped a lot of weight. I never thought I would be below a 10 lb base weight. With the new gear i've recently ordered, I'll finally meet my goal.

Tim Marshall is making me a wonderful cuben quilt. (WLQ) Epiphany
    Ron Bell over at Mountain Laurel Designs is making me a few items: Cuben Grace Tarp Solo, 2010 Alpine Bivy, and a Superlight Bivy. Those should arrive in the next month or two. I'm very excited. This will drop the last couple of pounds I needed to lose to get a sub 10 lb base weight. FINALLY!!!

January is a very welcomed month. On the 5th I get to walk again. It's been almost 3 months since the motorcycle accident and I've missed out on a lot of winter camping. I'm thankful to be alive. What a year. Happy Twenty Ten everyone!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools