Topic

What size of cooking pot do you use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What size of cooking pot do you use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Kim Clements

@wrestling_dad

Locale: Ohio

What size of cooking pot do you use? Solo or group? Does it change by season? Do you do all kinds of cooking or just freezer bag cooking? Do you fry food?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

In the past I had a 700mL pot, then I went to a 600mL pot, and now I am using a 550mL pot (The BPL Firelite 550). It is for solo freezer bag style cooking where I normally boil 12oz of water. I use this year round, but live in a location where I never need to melt snow for water.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

When I take my daughter I bring a 750 ml titanium pot. When alone I cook in my titanium mug. Mainly I boil water, cook noodles etc but last time we were running low of trail food on the way back and I fried slices of some hard bread with my ever present olive oil, and we melted cheese on it. A nice treat on a chilly day.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

For solo trips I use the 750ml Caldera Keg or AGG 3 cup pot. I tend to cook very simple meals when I'm alone. For two, meals are more elaborate and my partner drinks a lot more hot drinks than me, so we take the 2 litre AGG pot.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I like my gear to be the lightest and most compact that will fit my needs.

I do only solo cooking and my 'cooking' involves only boiling water to rehydrate my meals. As such, I have two cookpots:

1. Alcohol stove setup – I use a Firelite 550 — just the right size to boil the 2 cups of water that I need.

2. Canister stove setup – I use the slightly bigger Snow Peak 600 with a home-made lid — just big enough to house my SP Gigapower stove, fuel canister, spare lighter and small towel.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

For most hikes I use a FireLite SUL 550, and a Caldera cone, which is just the amount of water I need for the freeze dried supper meal. For breakfast, the oatmeal (or whatever) uses half the water and leaves me almost 10oz for a cup of coffee (usually VIA).

I also have a FireLite SUL 900 for when I'm either not going with the freeze-dried, or for use in combination with my Bush Buddy Ultra.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

0.9L MSR Titan Kettle

I use it for solo trips and with the family for three of us.

For solo, it is huge/overkill, but I like the wide opening & bottom, which makes it easy to cook in for stiring and it happens to fit my fuel canister for storage.

-Tony

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

FireLite 550 for solo and Snowpeak 700 for. Both are primarily used to boil water for freezer bag meals.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the MSR Titan Kettle. I like heating a little more water than necessary so I have some left over for cleanup.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Summer-> 1 liter

Winter-> 1.5 liter JetBoil (for melting snow more efficiently)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

It depends on how many and what I am making. For minimal solo it is either a GSI Soloist or one of 2 tea kettles (either a GSI or a Primus). All 3 are around a liter. I prefer boiling about 4 cups water as I like to drink tea with my dinner (I use around 1 1/2 cups water for FBC meals) and that also leaves me with a little extra water for washing my face/hands/brushing teeth.

If I am with the family we use a 2L or 3L pot for volume. It depends on where and what on which pot I use (I have a couple different ones to choose from).

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Tibetan titanium 900. I wanted the Firelite 900, but I can never find it in stock.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

For solo trips I use the BPL Firelite SUL900, with Ti spoke bail handle. BPL Firelite SUL1100, with Ti spoke bail handle, when Susan's along.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

I use either by Firelite 500 for some trips but, have started using the .9L evernew, it holds more water obviously and is just easier to use i think

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

I just doing FBC so I use a 600ml pot all yr long.

Gordon Towne
    BPL Member

@gordontowne

Locale: New England

I use the older Firelite 500 for solo use. I find that I am always happy with slightly less than the recommended amount of water for rehydrating, and don't typically need anything larger.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

MLD 850 Ti pot. Solo. Freezer bag cooking.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

There are always 2 or 3 of us with one stove so we use a 2 liter AGG pot and cook simple meals, now mostly on a Bruton Crux stove.

David Ure

@familyguy

Like Doug, I too use the MLD 850 pot. Great product.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

700 ml, perfect for me and the dog. 600 solo. Could go smaller if FBC only. I like a honking big cup of coffee.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

One cookpot here, 1.3L REI TiWare.

Looking at an itty bitty mug for solo use.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

.9L REI TiWare for solo, 1.3 L Evernew Ti when I'm with my son. I like having a big mug of tea with both dinner and breakfast, and the wide pot is a little more fuel efficient than a taller style. I might get a 750 ml or thereabouts mug at some point for solo, but I use that much or more water most meals. I do only freezer bag cooking.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For overnights – Heiny pot/ Vargo 700ml. Looking to get a smaller pot like a 550 or something to try out freezer bag cooking. I normally just crush up whatever I have and dump it into the pot.

Longer trips- MSR Titan kettle/ the small AGG wide pot

With the girlfriend – Evernew 1.3L wide mouth

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

My wife and I use a 2 liter stainless steel pot most of the time when cooking over fire, and a 2 liter titanium pot if using a stove. I tend to cook soup dinners for three or four people as a main course on our trips so we need the larger pot. On day hike, with a break for tea and lunch, we bring a 5.4 ounce 1 liter pot. Seen here from last weekend.
    Tea

John Fry

@m6amba

I use the pot/lid from the snowpeak STW-001T cookset
    don't need the cup inside, the pot is big enough for my giga power stove, and 110g fuel canister inside, and is plenty big enough to cook my typical meal, rice and dried chicken.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools