Topic

Vicariously

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vicariously

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Broken Leg

On October 15th of this year, I had a motorcycle accident resulting in the above picture. Winter is my favorite season to be in the outdoors. I'm a sucker for snow and alpine views. Not this year. I'm pretty bummed. One more month before I can walk. Most likely a couple more after that before i'm ready to get back out there. Maybe i'll make the last few weeks of winter. Until then, i'll increase my UL backpacking techniques and understanding by hanging out here. Enjoy it boys and girls. I wish I could be out there with you.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I could have gone all day without that. Aren't you glad it wasn't a tib-fib?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ouch! That sucks!

No hiking for me as well right now due to other things, so I feel for you!

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

As a trauma surgeon I just want to point out that your first mistake was riding a donorcycle… :o)

Bummer on missing the hiking, though. Healing well? Good union? ORIF or nail?

(Interesting Trivia: The #1 killer of United States Marines last year was motorcycles. But they won't let me jog on post while wearing an iPod, because it's "dangerous." How ridiculous is that?)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ouch! Best wishes to you for a speedy and complete recovery!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Best wishes for a quick recovery Juston. I feel your pain!
    I just had hip surgery 5 days ago, and was pretty much imobile for 2 months before that. It looks like i'll be missing the next 6-8 weeks of winter too.
    Forced inactivity drives you mad!

Juston Taul

@junction

Fixed

Here I am all fixed up. Thanks everyone for the wishes.

@ Dean. My orthopedic surgeon says things are looking great. The knee especially. Wants me to wait one more month for the tibia to completely fill in before I walk on it. I'm just curious as to how long it will take to build the muscle i've lost back. I'm ready to get back out there, but I don't want to rush things either. I'd rather lose one winter than be messed up for life.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yikes! I am selling my Ducatis! …I don't ride them much anyhow. Feel better, and I hope you make the last few weeks of winter!

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Yikes! I'm one of those that feels pain when I see these types of pics! Get well soon.

Erik Graf

@van-go

Feel ya. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Time will pass and at least it is winter.

I haven't hiked since summer. The big "c" in my calf (skin melanoma). 2 surgeries and over 50 stitches. My leg looks like I was one of those shark attack victims you see on Discovery Channel. But, no metastasization – so it's all good.

Get checked boys and girls / stay out of the sun / use sunscreen or cover up.

Juston Taul

@junction

@ Alexander

The bike I crashed was a 2009 Ducati Monster 1100s with upgraded Termignoni exhaust. Here is a picture of it the day I bought it.

Ducati Monster 1100s

Ducati Monster 1100s & Ducati 999

Walasi-yi

Juston Taul

@junction

Erik,

Thanks and best wishes to you as well. I hope it's all under control.

Erik Graf

@van-go

Ah, thanks man. Just edited it to explain it hasn't spread. Good luck to you – the good thing is you know hiking is still in your future, right?

The last time I had to sit out this long was when I broke my collarbone on a dirt bike – so I understand what you're dealing with.

Juston Taul

@junction

Yes. My docs all say that I should recover 100%. I might have a little arthritis later on in life but all is well. They are very pleased with my recovery. I've been working hard to keep everything stretched out properly. I've lost a lot of muscle mass but that will come back when I start walking on it again. I'm suffering from cabin fever a bit, but I'm thankful to be alive.

Erik Graf

@van-go

Good for you. Sounds like you're making positive strides. Smart to keep stretched out – I'm slowly getting back into things and went mountain biking a week ago (cursed rain) and not being able to stretch as much was apparent.

Where do you hike – see you're in Atlanta. I'm in Wilmington, NC. My last hike was in August – Roan Mtn. section along the AT.

Juston Taul

@junction

I do most of my hiking in Alaska actually. Other than that… Indiana, Kentucky, and Georgia receive most of my attention. I try not to limit myself… i'll go anywhere. :D

I've been to Wilmington a few times. Fun little city. I always stay at the Hilton on the waterfront. Tempurpedic beds! Lots of places to eat and drink in the area there.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

dude! that sucks! i've been lucky enough to avoid serious injury on my motorcycle. i did t-bone a truck once, but only had torn tendons in my hand. good luck with that and try to be patient. my friend had his lower leg shattered, about a year before he could do anything real useful. sorry to hear.

Erik Graf

@van-go

Juston,

That's great – never even stepped foot in Alaska. Closest I've been is Mount Ranier – well, Olympic actually.

Wilmington is a nice place – Hilton is nearly across the street from me – I'm in the Federal Building a stones throw down the river.

Best wishes for your recovery. Good luck!!!

Juston Taul

@junction

Thanks buddy. Next time i'm in ILM i'll give ya a shout. :D

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

Can't believe I'm the first to point out that now your leg is really ultralight, titanium dude. Multi use those pins as tent stakes, or a ul potty trowel.

Juston Taul

@junction

haha! :D Nice.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

WOW, that sucks, but it's time to look on the bright side. At least you probably got titanium…very UL and very cool. Back when I got loaded up with metal it was just heavy old stainless steel. Titanium is also non-magnetic, which makes MRIs much more fun, and low heat conductivity is a bonus when crossing icy streams compared to stainless :)

Seriously, I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Ah. ORIF. Really neat job, too.

Good luck.

Juston Taul

@junction

Dean,

What do you think about that lower pin in the knee? Perhaps a little long? I hope it doesn't bother me later on. I hate to have them open me back up to snip it. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Thanks buddy.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Juston,

Been there, done that in 1982. Spiral fracture of my right tibia. (Grass skiing in W. VA in summer!) Luckily it was not displaced like yours and needed no pins. Had to wait THREE HOURS to be transported for a fix and the pain gradually became unbearable. I learned that painkillers are your friend at a time like that.

I'm a ski patroller and care for several fractures a year so I'm familiar with them on an intimate basis.

Get well soon and do everything your physical therapist tells you to do so you get better faster. Full leg cast, then half leg cast then NO cast! YEA!

Best, Eric

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools