Topic

Gossamer Gear Lighttrek 4 CF extensions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear Lighttrek 4 CF extensions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Recently got a carbon fiber extension 'pole' from Gossamer Gear for my GG Lighttrek 4 trekking poles. This thing is sweet! The extender is the same carbon fiber as the poles (I think, Grant would know better!), just shy of 17". You take the lower portion of the trekking pole out, fit the extender into the upper section via the 2" sleeve, and then put the lower portion in the bottom of the extender and adjust to fit. It creates one solid pole, no swaying or wavering, that's tall enough to use as the center pole for a SuperMid (I felt comfortable with it extended to 74"). Weighs 20 grams on my scale. Below is a pic I took with the extender in a trekking pole setting up a SpeedMid well off the ground! As you can see from the pic, it's like one, solid, long pole.

Pros: Quick and easy to set up (loosen and remove the bottom, insert the extension, insert the bottom, tighten to length). Very light. Makes a nice, strong, and very straight single pole (no wobbling like the pole jack). Did I mention light? The extension fits so well, without being a 'tight' fit into the top part of the pole, that it really seems like just one, long pole. I think you could easily set up a tarp with two of these (one for each pole) for a 'high' setup to use as a gathering or dining tarp for a small group, something like that, with, again, minimal weight penalty (just thinking out loud here).

There are no cons at all.

On the couple of times I've used it now, I got mild winds, nothing heavy at all. Still, the pole with extension is solid, and fits so well you can't even tell it's there in the pic. I knocked into it during the night, and it didn't phase it at all.

A big benefit to using the Lighttrek this way instead of modding it so that the top of the top could take the bottom of the second pole to make one long pole (like the TiGoat pole) is that with the extension, the pole handle is against the pole fabric instead of the 'sharper' tip of the pole against the fabric (or some extra plate or such to put in between the tip and the fabric). So there's less chance to harm the top fabric of the shelter.

In short, I think it's a great product and a wonderful way to increase the functionality of the Lighttrek poles.extender with speedmid

Extender with Speedmid

sections

pole top, bottom, and extender

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I should add that these are not yet on the GG site, but I'm sure if enough folks emailed Grant expressing interest they would be soon! ;-)

liang kong
    BPL Member

@mcluxun

Locale: Tulsa,OK

Seems only work for gg poles.
    Still looking for solution for some other brand poles.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Tim Testa

@michaelredbeard

Would these work well for a rainshadow 2. In other words, would using this extension pole make my tent more sturdy?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

You don't need extensions for the Rainshadow 2, in fact the pole would be too long with the extension for the Rainshadow.

liang kong
    BPL Member

@mcluxun

Locale: Tulsa,OK

My plan is using a pole link connector like this:
    http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/pole-link-converter
    with a CF pole.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

You can take a lower section from a TiGoat AGP, and place it in the handle section of the second pole, to extend the usable length for pitching shelters, no extra pieces. The same thing should be possible with a light trek, that has the straps, but I may be mistaken.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"You can take a lower section from a TiGoat AGP, and place it in the handle section of the second pole, to extend the usable length for pitching shelters, no extra pieces. The same thing should be possible with a light trek, that has the straps, but I may be mistaken."

I talk about the first part of your post above. The issue is that when you use your TiGoat this way, the 'sharp' end of the pole is against the top of the tent, instead of the handle part of the pole. With the extender, there's less chance of harming the tent fabric.

You can't do the same thing with a Lightrek unless you mod it, since the cork handles have no holes/cap in the top like the TiGoat poles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools