Topic

Best Undies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Undies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I like the Ex-Oficio sufficiently to import them to the UK; although trips to the US find I have a large stock now.

Recently been using Rohan Ultra trunks too – light at 38g a pair and treated with polygiene; they work really well.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> I'm becoming far too aware of the fact they ride up

Most likely this is a sizing issue. I found that going 1-2 sizes smaller than what the packaging suggests works best for me.

–Mark

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Ex Officios that work as boxers or shorts. Or nothing.

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Walmart sells compression shorts that are as comfortable as the bigger brands (nike, UA, etc) but they retail for $7

Obviously they are less durable and lower quality but cant beat the price!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Try Campmnor and Cabela's. They both sell quick drying synthetic briefs and Cabela's has synthetic knit boxer shorts. Both are very reasonable, better prices than Ex-Officio unless you can find Ex O. at a discount store like Stein Mart.

Chris Scala

@scalawag

After wearing the compression shorts for literally only a day, I determined they weren't for me either. The waist band was easily the itchiest thing I've worn in years, and their tightness ended up defeating its purpose, because once they started clumping together, they felt even more unrelenting than the Officio's.

I think I'm going to try a different size in Ex Officio's, or just suck it up. I've had no chaffing with them so I guess I really can't complain.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

My new personal favorite. It wicks, dries quickly, and doesn't smell. Not bad for cotton.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I've experimented with a lot of performance underwear – Jockey Go Mesh briefs have the best fit but don't wick as well. The C9 performance boxer briefs work the best for me and I wear them at the gym and when hiking. In the gym I actually like the regular length but the 9" for hiking as they prevent chafing better. The fit is solid, the material wicks very well and do not get funky, the seams are comfortable, etc… Never had them ride up.

There are as someone mentioned two versions – one is 100% synthetic, the other has some cotton mixed in (roughly 50/50). I've tried both and the synthetic is lighter and overall more comfortable if you are really working out hard or sweating a lot. The blended ones are OK for everyday underwear but not my favorite for performance.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-1pk-performance-long-boxer-brief-black/-/A-13442912

These are the best I've found for the money."

I like them so much I've replaced all my boxer briefs with them for everyday wear. Now, I have purchased enough of them to see that there are some manufacturing defects. Some of the seams were sewn poorly- like the stitching didn't exactly follow the edge of the fabric and some gaps showed up, and some stitching popped, but Target was real good about exchanging them even without a receipt.

BM

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

9" is key in my experience. The shorter ones just eventually ride up and then clump up in the crotch. Yucks. I'd rather go jungle. Maybe it depends on the girth of your thighs or the ratio of girth to length.

I wrote ex officio a couple months ago and begged them to add a 9" inseam model to their line so if that happens you can all thank my omnipotent powers. Hey Hey…..Next?

Ren Stimpy
    Spectator

@handshake

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools