Topic

Best Undies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Undies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I asked the same question about a year ago and based on readers' recommendations, I tried on:

1. Patagonia
    2. REI
    3. Ex Officio

To me (and here's the subjective part) — Ex Officio fits the best — by far — followed by REI and then Patagonia.

Fit aside, I can attest to the astonishing longevity of Ex Officio underwear: I've been washing/wearing the same 2 pairs for almost 7 months now — and they're still good!!!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I've used these every hike this year and really like the way they wick. They do work and no chaffing, just don't wear them to bed, even clean dry ones. I change into clean undies every night before bed. The problem I found with these are, that when you wear them to bed in your sleeping bag they still do there job of wicking moisture, there in lies the problem. It turnes your sleeping bag into the rain forest, at least for me. All that wicking causes your body to fill clamy and sticky, now I take a pair of cotton undies to change into before bed and I haven't had any more problems. Great for hiking just not for sleeping

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I went with Icebreakers from STP. It was either those, or Wickers wool ones. Ex-O was in third, but I didn't give them too much thought.

I'll let you know the outcome.

devin riker

@fveten03

Locale: New York

Deleted as commercial.
    If you want to offer a discount to BPL readers, feel free to use the Gear Deals channel.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

a fan of being comfy down there I also say — ExOfficio
    Send that 25% over my way when it does happen. I figured once a month to buy a single pair to replace all my boxers within a year.

Eli .

@feileung

My Under Armor Heatware have been great. Long enough to avoid all chaffing; they don't move/ride at all; not too hot; not too cool.

My regimen is like Franco's. Wear them all day; wash at the end; dry overnight. Two pairs per trip is perfect.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Roger is back from his winter vacation

Did you do anything iunteresting?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Merino Codpiece.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Merino works wonders for me. I have Icebreaker boxers but hate the labels-cut them off. I find Minus33 has labels that don't bother me and they are cheaper.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

+n+1 on Ex Officio briefs. Stephen and I used them on our recent cycle tour. Two pairs each, one wear, one wash. 16,661km of high cadence cycling revolutions through deserts, tropical and alpine areas, plus town use on days off, about 240days. I'm still using them, can't tell any wear whatsoever…thats incredible, especially as they usually went more than a week between washings! Stephen's jocks are in the same excellent condition. They are going to keep on lasting for ages. No way a pair of wool jocks would ever last that long (we used Icebreaker socks on this trip, we wore through heaps of them, never buying them again…though they were really really comfy).

Yeah, they funk, but then we were always filthy anyway. When my shirt and pants are covered in caked on dirt and salt-stains I don't really notice or care that my jocks are funky.

Maybe I'd wear more holes in them if they had more to support? Haha…

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

here's my 2 cents from a boxer jock only type…

here are ones that are good for me:
    under armour heatgear – long inseam.
    jockey boxer jock – longest length they make

however neither of those do a GREAT job at holding my junk up from between my legs. i've resorted to the ball banadana.

here are ones that i've tried that SUCK (for me). they simply roll right up my thigh and become tighty whities after about 5 minutes of walking- if i wanted straight underwear and not boxer briefs i would have just bought them that way. i have tried these pairs numerous times with no avail. i don't understand how people are giving them a +

icebreaker boxer briefs. 150 wt
    ex officio give and go boxer brief
    champion c9 boxer brief

Chris Scala

@scalawag

I've been wearing 2 pairs of Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs for a couple months now, on and off trail… However, now that it's hot, I'm becoming far too aware of the fact they ride up, and then I can feel a big tangled mess of fabric between my legs. Granted they are still pretty comfy, but combined with heat and humidity it is starting to drive me nuts. (No pun intended!)

I just got a pair of Under Armor Compression Shorts to try out. Not crazy about the tightness factor, but I'd rather them stay put than move around. I don't like built in short liners because having a removable pair is more versatile for swimming and general changing and what not.

Does anyone else experience this with the Ex-Officio's? I'm 5'7" / 150 lbs. I have cyclist thighs but they are not olympian-big, I generally wear a Medium. I found it weird I seemed to be the only one with these riding up on me.

Maybe the briefs would work better?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ex Officio is what I usually wear, if I use any. They are extra weight you know.

Yesterday on the radio I heard Larry the Cable Guy, exhorting the merits of edible undies, but I don't think he does any backpacking.

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

I really like the starter performance boxer briefs at wallyworld. I have really stocky legs so I get the 9" length, they also come in six inch as well. They are mesh type stuff in the bit area and very stretchy. Not sure how long they last I've only had them for a few weeks, but so far they are the best undies I"ve tried and only ten bucks a pair.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I like the Starters too, but one pair that I have definitely absorbs the stank quite quickly. But, at $9.50, it's a risk worth taking. I've found them to be quite comfortable, and no chaffing since I switched to them!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I am a big REI fan(MTS)wearing them as I type this. They also make great swim shorts.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

For those with boxer brief issues (seems the ex oficio which I love so dearly) it's probably just a sizing issue. Especially with thigh size. I've never once had a pair ride up on me regardless of activity, but the thighs are just barely stretched on mine (so not that tight, but not loose either, sort of a Goldilocks syndrome). I'm not sure if having bigger or smaller thighs would cause them to ride up more or less though.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The issue of boxers or briefs was recently settled. Three days ago I was camped at Hamilton Lakes in Sequoia National Park. The local deer had found some boxers, and it was chewing them for the salt. It knew that they were not to eat, but it just wanted the salt.

deer chewing boxers to get salt

–B.G.–

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I've used REI brand in two different sizes but they ride up and I get a rash. I do have rather big thighs for my 150 lb. body, but the REI product is just not cut for a performance fit. I then tried Everlast compression undies with 6" inseam. They do not ride up and solved the irritation. They are $9.99 on Sale at Big 5. I really like them allot. Also recently bought some Calvin Klein microfiber undies but I haven't had the chance to use them on the trail. They may not be long enough. We'll see. But they definitely are better than cotton and they are great for the work week.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I think underwear comfort is different to every user . I have had the EXoffico boxer briefs and I really don't like the waist band is just one big piece of elastic and cut off the circulation.

The most comfortable pair of boxer briefs I have found that don't feel like your wearing anything and wick away moisture are the REi boxer briefs.
    Terry

Don Abernathey

@oldguysrule

Locale: PNW
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

RE: Target briefs: Remarkable how comfortable they are. I prefer the short version.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Looks good. I think that the length just really depends on if your inner thighs rub or not. Mine do so the longer ones completely stop the chaffing. Thanks for sharing the Target offering.

Ryan Dorn

@fiestabuckeye

I've tried everything out there and LOVE the Walmart Starter brand that says antichaffing on the package. Great underwear.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Ryan, which package are you talking about?

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools