Topic

lightest waterproof shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest waterproof shell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Scalia

@jscalia

Locale: NorthEast

what is the lightest waterproof shell with hood available on the market?

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I'm currently stalking Haglofs' OZ Pullover. It may be the lightest, most breathable piece out there?

North Face has an anorak that is supposed to be the lightest rain gear around. It breathes poorly, though.

This article is still valid.

I remember Etowah had said they were going to make a cuben rain or wind jacket one day. I want one from MLD!

Jack

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I bought the NF Triumph Anorak as it was the lightest i could find. I didn't find the breathability any worse in use than most other waterproof/breathable fabrics, except e-Vent. I only carry it when every gram counts, and i don't expect constant rain. I wouldn't use it for scrambling on rock either.

I use different shells to suit the weather, use, and terrain expected.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I have a Haglöfs Oz Pullover, and whilst it has not seen a lot of use in wet weather, I found it the ideal compliment to my Litespeed for 3 season use. For winter it is Paramo.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I have an earlier Marmot (the model of which im confused about) that has held up very well versus granite and various tree limbs that weighs in at 226 grams. Its time is near and its weight is too much.

What do you use while scrambling, Mike?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Hi Jack.
    For climbing and scrambling on rock, i use a CRUX Flak Smock. The Smock has been discontinued though. It is a bombproof mountaineering shell, but too heavy for long distance backpacking, at 456g. I'll carry it for a weekend in the mountains though. In winter, or cold wet weather, i usually use a Paramo Aspira Smock.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The lightest is probably a Dri Ducks Jacket at 4.7oz, but there are several shells in the 6-9 oz range.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I'll never buy DriDucks again. I bought a suit for my last trip a few weeks ago, cause it looked like a poncho wasn't going to cut it. The coat zipper completely failed at the trail head – after I zipped it up, the zipper would fall open by itself. luckily i had a bungee in the truck and could hold it together with that as a belt. i also almost caught on fire standing by the campfire. i threw the suit in the trash at the trail head after the trip was done.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

DriDucks sewing is often bad, but if you're willing to run it through a sewing machine is still makes for cheap rainwear.

Someone mentioned Cuben rainwear…that surely can't be breathable since it's two plies of polyester film.

Lapsley Hope

@laps

Mountain Hardwears' QUARK jacket is under 10 oz.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah cuben's not breathable. I would still use it for pants though as breathability is less important there. A cuben rain jacket would be of more limited purpose, but still neat to have. I would bring a cuben jacket if the forecast was calling for little to no rain and thus I expect to be wearing my rain jkt very little or none at all. If you're in a hurry though and you need to hike hard through the rain then you'd never want a cuben jkt except for in camp. With a cuben rain jacket, I would be hiking very casually or even not at all. This jkt would be ok around camp and darn light.

David Ure

@familyguy

7.7 oz Gortex Paclite.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

FWIW, The North Face Triumph Anorak is claimed to weigh 160g or 5.6oz. That is pretty darn light if it's true.

My DriDucks size Medium rain jkt weighs 168g or 5.8oz so the NF is indeed lighter. Dang it..more gear to buy.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

My size Large weighs 168g.

Christine Thuermer

@chgeth

Locale: Germany

I can just warn everyone NOT to the Haglof Oz Pullover.
    Even in Germany I had to pay a fortune for it, but I wanted it for a CDT thruhike. It proved to be a disaster: It leaked like a sieve. When I came back from the CDT I sent it back to the manufacturer and received a new one. I was still skeptical but took it with me for an AT thruhike. Again: Total disaster – not waterproof at all. As I continued on my trip I replaced it with another rain jacket.
    This is the worst piece of equipment I ever had!!! This thing is water repellent and a good wind jacket, but not waterproof. And considering the outrageous price it is a rip-off!
    Don't buy that jacket – even the cheapest Frogtoggs are better.
    Christine

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Rain gear that leaks is terrible. I've got some Sierra Designs pants that leak huge right through the membrane. If I sit down on a wet surface, I get a wet butt almost instantly. Obviously I don't use them anymore. They leaked like this right through the membrane from the start. I just don't get it. Do manufacturers not test their gear? And if they do, why sell rain gear that won't keep out the rain? Utterly pointless and frustrating for the user.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

I like this stuff too. It has such a nice soft feel and doesn't make much noise. Arcteryx uses it a lot.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

At 200 bucks, the Haglofs' OZ Pullover is just a tad pricey for the features, IMHO.

The Driducks are light (5.8 oz for the whole outfit) and really cheap. If they tear (the ubiquitous greenbriar is the chief culprit in Ohio) a bit o' the old duct tape fills the bill. Around here, you prove your hiking prowess by the number of duct-tape patches on your DD's.

To repeat a proviso mentioned earlier: The sewing on the zipper is sometimes poor. Before you hit the trail, stitch or ten at the bottom of both sides of the zipper will help to prevent zipper separation. Inexpensiveness and light weight does sometimes involve some trade-offs. :-)

Stargazer

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"Driducks are light (5.8 oz for the whole outfit)"

Your whole DriDucks outfit weighs 5.8oz? Just my size medium DriDucks jkt weighs that much. The whole outfit is over 10oz.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My size small jacket is 4.7oz, so the outfit has to be around 10.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

+10 for the Driducks.

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'd put another vote in for the OR Zealot at 7.7oz and good quality Paclite. It's also seam taped and compresses into nothing. I believe I paid about $130 from Backcountry.com who looks to have it on sale for $106 right now.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

>My size small jacket is 4.7oz, so the outfit has to be around 10.

Sorry. Just looked in the DriDucks stuff sack. Forgot that I removed the pants (never use them). My medium jacket is 5.8 oz in the sack (just weighed).

With apologies,

Stargazer

P.S. Don't really need the sack, come to think of it.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I must be missing something pretty big.

People talking about just sewing some extra stitches into DriDucks just makes it even more… apparent. Driducks don't have sealed seams. Seams that have just straight been stitched through, not sealed, will leak. The zipper isn't backed by a flap or anything. I got seam leaks when I wore mine. Now, sure, everything I wear will dry quickly. And a soaked area under the seam is better than being totally drenched. But if you're buying raingear to keep you dry, it seems like sealed seams is a pretty basic thing.

Maybe people are only using them as a "just in case" set of raingear. Maybe cost is the definitive factor? There are certainly fully waterproof options available at similar weights…

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Well, I never have had much trouble with seam leakage, and I've hiked all day in the rain. You're right, though. I've always though of DriDucks as a JIC thing. I can't justify the expense of a real rain shell given the fact that you're gonna get pretty wet anyway in an all-day downpour, and DriDucks work pretty well in other circumstances without much leakage.

However, I suppose one could use some of that leftover seam sealer to seal the seams in the places along the DriDucks that seam, er seem, to need seam sealed. (Try saying that ten times.)

I can think of another reason to take along the pants, BTW, instead of just buying an upper shell. When I was walking the AT and needed to do laundry, the Driducks outfit covered my entire frame. Thus, I could wash my Weatherpants and shirt without embarrassing myself at the Shenandoah laundomat. :-) And all that for ten bucks. What a deal!

Stargazer

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools