Topic

Cottage manufacturers – interviewed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cottage manufacturers – interviewed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Hendrik,
    Excellent job at giving us some insight as to who is behind the gear. Truly enjoyed all of the interviews, especially the Fritz Handel one. Keep up the good work!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

It was a bit silent here, with me being hiking. Nevertheless, Here is the next interview, featuring Judy Gross from LightHeart Gear. Interviews should now continue as usual =)

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I have really enjoyed your interviews, and have a suggestion for you. Joe from Zpacks.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Hei Gary, thank you! I'd really like to interview Joe, but he was interviewed here not too far back, and I am not certain if an interview with me would add more value at the time being. Maybe later in the spring, though =)

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

for the link, it was an interesting read.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

George Andrews of AntiGravityGear is answering my questions today, and tells what we can expect besides pot cozies from them in the future =)

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Well I guess it's time for me to do a little pimping!

I stopped by George's home shop in early December and he gave me a hand full of those profile maps as a promo-treat. (I kinda figured OK whatever) but a couple of weeks later I did a hike including a stretch of the AT near Standing Indian. I must say those profile maps are perfect. They are tiny compared to a map being 3.75 x 17 inches and weighing 4 gr.

Profile Map

and the one I have at hand covers a 90 mile stretch of the AT. It's Tear-proof & folds up about the size of a couple of playing cards.

folded profile map

The best part is that except for situations where you are switching trails and need info along the new trail…. they actually have more readily available info than either a gps or a contour map providing at a glimpse the trail profile in an easily readable graph format along with the distance to major trail intersections, shelter, water,gaps and peaks, and highway intersections with mileage to adjoining towns for re-supply.

profile map graph

The graphic also includes info on access to food, supplies, water, shelter, motels and etc as shown. ( That's elevation on top of the image and trail miles running down the right side so each cube in the graph is 500 feet of elevation up or down and one mile left and right)

profile map graphic

The best part is how easy it is to get the some of the main questions one typically has when on the trail; how far is X and how much of a climb or descent, answered in a flash. No more waiting for a gps signal or fumbling with a huge trails illustrated map which really won't accurately ( or hardly even approximately ) answer those questions anyway. How can a gps tell you the distance from Standing Indian to Albert Mountain? Even if you have those points marked it will only give the distance in a straight line. And try calculating the elevation gain and loss. So these are a nice litle tool! Hope they become available soon for lots of major routes…. Like George if you read this how about the mountainous part of the MST here in the good ol Tar Heel State? or the Bartram trail, foothills trail …………etc….etc….

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Rod Java from TheStickPic.com answers the questions and tells us that there's a backpack in the making from their company!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Matthew Lagas-Rivera from Elemental Horizons answers my questions this Monday morning – Enjoy!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Donald Kevilus from Four Dog Stove answers my questions today, so grab a cup of tea and learn about the inventor of the Bushcooker LT!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

A relative new cottage manufacturer, Katabatic Gear and its founder Aaron Martray are interviewed this week.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Another great interview!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Brandon Waddy from Warbonnet Outdoors interview is online ^_^

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Kim Coupounas from GoLite is interviewed this time, as part of the "Women in the Outdoors" series running this week.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Awesome interview Hendrik! Nice to hear the perspective of a larger company.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

These interviews are awesome. Nice work, again!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Thanks Nathan and Steven! It was great to see her answers, and also that she didn't shy away from answering about "GoHeavy" and Ray Jardine which probably was on many folks mind.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Tom Hennessy from Hennessy Hammocks answers my questions this time around. I got another few interviews lined up during the coming weeks, so stay tuned =)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Another great interview! Thanks so much for doing these. I bought my first Hennessey almost 10 years ago. Met Tom at the 2nd ADZPCTKO and bought a set of snakeskins out of the trunk if his car. Great guy.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

David Ure

@familyguy

Awesome Hendrik – I have been waiting for this one…; )

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Mike St. Pierre from Hyperlite Mountain Gear takes time out from managing his young cottage business to answer my questions =)

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

great series.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yes, thanks for that. I like Aarn
    Franco

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools