Topic

5 nights through the Great Western Divide, Sequoia Nat. Pk., Calif.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 5 nights through the Great Western Divide, Sequoia Nat. Pk., Calif.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Some pix from my Sep. '09 hike on the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Mdw. to Kaweah Gap, Big 5 Lakes and Black Rock Pass. More pics and trip report on my hike site: http://planetrambler.com/150mph/090914-18_GreatWesternDivide/index.html

Hamilton Lake
    Valhalla area
    Precipice Lake
    Big Five Lake no.2
    Cliff Creek valley west of Black Rock Pass
    Great Western Divide from the High Sierra Trail

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

Great, thorough report! You provide much better information than what I've seen in various guide books. I'm going to come back and check out your other trips on your site.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Great stuff, bro. Good photos. Did a very similar trip in July doing a loop out of Mineral King to HST to Kaweah, to Little 5 to Big 5, and then out over Sawtooth.

Big 5 Lakes is a great area to visit. Scenic and secluded. Lots of water. Mosquitoes not nearly as bad as surrounding areas. Just a pleasure.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I was planning a trip (initially for next week) to launch out of Wolverton; North cross country from the Tableland Meadows, and looping east and then south through Elizabeth Pass to the HST; West back to Wolverton through Panther Gap.

I've already canceled, but holding onto the off chance it's still possible at this time of year. Do you figure it's all closed up through Winter since this storm?

cheers,
    -Michael

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Hey Jim – Your hike I was looking at too. Would love to see your pix. I happened to notice your name in the register atop Jean Pk after I did San Jacinto this summer. Bet you're in all the peak registers around SoCal!

Mike – I'd monitor the weather reports closely and bring snow/ice gear if were to do your hike now. Eliz. Pass will surely have gotten snow, just how much has melted is the question…

Dave T

@davet

@trooper

The water in #3 is incredible. I feel like I'm looking at something from Myst or Riven…

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Larry,
    Just a tip, but you might want to edit your post to include a couple of "returns" between each photo to get them to align vertically, rather than spread off the screen.

Great photos.
    Tom

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Larry,

Stunning photos and a great write up on your site. I especially enjoyed reading about your bear encounters. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Larry,
    I finally got a chance to read through your complete report and photos on your website. I want to do all of those trips and see everything you did…FANTASTIC!
    Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools