Topic

7.5oz BMW floorless tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 7.5oz BMW floorless tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

thanks, Ryan. Is there an estimated cost, yet?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

no cost estimate yet.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

BPL staff: is this product still in the pipeline?

In the post above from March 06, Ryan expected them to start shipping by last summer. I really hope this project hasn't been abandoned.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Not abandoned, just held til Cocoons were sorted out. We're back to bivy and tarp programs next week.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Sweeeet! Thanks Ryan.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Any more word on bivys and tarps for this summer season?

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

It seems to me that MLD is working on a similar project — not sure if they're making a "half-pyramid" tent but I do remember discussion of an 8×8 pyramid due out this summer. Ron?

I'd love to find an 8×8 pyramid tarp made of 1.35 sil with snow flaps at the bottom. I don't know why OWare doesn't build one; seems like the perfect winter/summer 2-person shelter.

This was posted to Ryan's blog and I've been wondering what the shelter is in the background…. a prototype perhaps?

mystery pyramid?

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

I think the shelter pictured is a Golite Hex 2 or Hex shelter, but I am not 100% sure. It seems identicle to my dad's Golite shelter.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Ryan could you tell us what is the approximate weight of this tent?

(i´m sorry, but somebody must ask about ;-)

Frédéric G

@fredlafouine

Locale: Bretagne

Hello everyone, First post here.

So, New owner. :)

alpha1

Cuben 0.75 oz/yard2. 7 ounces without guylines.

It s short. For my 65 inches it's ok (but very closed) else without bivy, It s always possible to put my vest on the footboox of my elephant foot.
    alpha6
    216 = 85
    160 = 63
    110 = 43

It s high (pole at 57 but not vertical). And Wide. I can stand on my shoulders and put my gears where I want.

I was afraid but it s really easy to build it (4 stakes, the pole and thats done).

I have cut the reinforcement of the central attachment was reversed if place the pole diagonally against the front wall (which is I think more interesting to break this into 2 large pan). Although it is a proto anyway this clip is completely overkill, I cut. More simply to directly turn the string around the pole but it must add something not to shear the cuben (small piece of silnylon for now as you can see on the first picture).

For wind resistance it inspires confidence, despite my initial reluctance. The front wall is not vertical, and as I said before is divided into two triangles using the pole. Reinforcements angles seem sturdy, full-fabric ties are not strong but are not intended to be strained too much.

The front wall is not vertical
    alpha2

There was a label Made in oware United States, cut of course.

Stakes: It need five serious (the 4 corners and the main string) + 5 light (if only 1 used to close the two doors).

Zip: Not the lightest, most certainly, it is a prototype. The ruling is made by a large piece of very heavy nylon (like bottom reinforcement style of bag), at the bottom there is a clip (larger than the MLD shelters it seems to me) to take the tension on the horizontal length.

Compressibility: Ouch. Cuben takes a crazy place, I never had much larger shelter.

It remains to add 2 elastic on the full-fabric ties to reduce strokes in the cuben (very rigid), 1 principal guyline with serious length and 3 little ones.

Comparison with a MLD Duomid

With 2 guys of 69 inches.
    (I'm 65 and my girlfriend 62)

Duomid in yellow
    Alphamid Nano in green

alpha3
    alpha4
    alpha5

We can almost say that Alphamid Nano is a small closed shelter of 7 oz for 2 small persons in love…

Specially with our new quilt (19.4 oz of 800 EU cuin/900 US cuin). :)
    couette 000 2000x1600

To finish, sorry I do what I can with google translate…

;)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have been known to use a Meteor bivy inside a Spinnshelter and Alphamid, but usually for bug reasons and as a ground cloth. It also allows for a higher roomier pitch if weather is in the forecast.

I don't know if you could call a Meteor a true bivy though. It is far more comfortable than other bivys I've tried.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools