Topic

Another Lost Creek Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Another Lost Creek Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Check out my new trip report at Dondo Outdoors.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Greaat Pictures Dondo. I like reading your trip reports. I've been all up and down those trails so its fun to see them in your pictures. I'll be out there myself from the 16 through the 24. Obviously you didn't see any snow but could you see much on the higher peaks?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks, Luke. Yeah, there was some snow on the higher peaks but I only went up to 10,600' so didn't have to slog through it. Keep a close eye on the weather for your trip. I like to use NOAA's weather site to keep track of things. Here's a pinpoint forecast for the area I camped in on Monday night.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks for the link Dondo. Have you found it fairly accurate?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

I've found it to be fairly accurate for short-term forecasts, but not perfect. For example, overcast skies were predicted for the first two days of my trip, but the clouds parted in the middle of the first night of my trip. Since your trip is for nine days, the accuracy of the forecast will decrease toward the end of your trip. So, for this time of year, it's probably best to be prepared for any kind of weather and have a bailout strategy if a major storm moves in.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks again Dondo, as of right now the long range forecast looks pretty good. I'm being tempted to ditch my rain suit and just take a poncho, my guess is most precipitation will be snow where I am anyways. I'll see if I can post pictures when I'm back.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Another great report, I love lost creek and that is a great place to go. This time of year the extra weight is always worth it.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Dondo,
    You have done some great hikes! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos with us. You've generated too much wanderlust for this married guy with children.
    Tom

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks, Peter. I know that you're very familiar with Lost Creek. Hope you are taking some time to get out there. It's funny. As many times as I've been there, I never get tired of going back. I guess that it's true that you never step into the same stream twice.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks, Tom. I hear you about the wanderlust. A week after I've returned from a trip, I'm scrutinizing my calendar to find another opportunity. The tough part is, as you've suggested, balancing family, work, and outdoor time. Having recently discovered that I've burned through most of my vacation time, I'm getting inspiration from Ryan's 24 article. Hopefully, there will be another trip or two before the year is out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools