Topic

National parks on PBS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Is anybody watching this series? Its on right now and its pretty exciting.

The current episode is showing this couple or family that is hitting there 12th national park at the moment.
    I read about this series in Backpacker.

These guys did this in the '30s. Just makes me feel good about the world. There are 58 national parks now. Anybody been to them all?

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

yeah def a great series. i dvr'd them and am about to watch the last one now.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I saw all but the first two. I hadn't realized that is was going to be so focused on the people behind establishing the parks (Muir, Roosenvelt(s), Mathers, Albright, etc.), but that was interesting. Also interesting was the shift from roads and tourism to conservatism.
    Tom

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

Its been a wonderful series. I enjoy it cause it puts faces to names and honors those people who did so much for the establishment of the parks.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I had read it wasn't a video tour of the parks, but more of a story about the backstories. I've been really pleased, it very good. Kind of surprising in a way, so many of the parks came into existence because one person obsessed about a place they loved.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

You can watch the full episodes online until Friday (10-09)

http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I don't want to get into a debate about Hetch Hetchy, however, the photos they had of that valley were quite stunning. I guess a lot of the waterfalls are now under water. I would imagine if the valley had not been dammed the John Muir Trail would have had to pass through that valley also.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I just started watching it and I think it's amazing. To me, it's worth ordering the DVD (something I would usually never say). In a day and age where attention spans are short and sound bytes are more prized than anything substantive, I greatly value his in-depth works. Well done again Ken!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools