Topic

Leukotape is heavy!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Leukotape is heavy!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

After reading rave reviews on this site I have decided to carry leukotape in my blister kit.

So I ordered a roll of the stuff from BPL and it arrived today (very fast shipping – thanks.)

First thing, I put the roll on my scale. It weighs 4 ounces. 4 ounces is more weight than the rest of my first-aid kit, four ounces is more than my pot weighs, 4 ounces is a lot of weight for blister tape!

Does anybody have a solution? Can I take a section and wrap it around something else? Will the tape still be good? How do you carry your leukotape?

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I wrap a piece of it around my trekking poles right under the handle.

You can warp it around a an empty pen if you want or something like that. I have used it on almost every trip and haven't had a problem with it sticking. When I peel it back the adhesive will kind of come off at the start, but once I get it going things are fine.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I take a plastic straw, cut off about a 2 inch piece and wrap a couple feet of leukotape around that.

G

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I had the same question a couple months ago. I wrapped 3' around my blood donoer card for my recent JMT hike. I used a card because I wanted it to lie flat, but it was a hassle to peel it off; next time out I'll try the straw.

The tape itself is quite sticky. I had no problem with the tape I peeled from the card sticking; had some that remained in place for 7 days.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Just wrap it around something else. I'd not recommend the trekking pole because it gets nasty with water (rain). The stuff is worth its weight in gold, but you obviously don't need 4 oz worth for a few blisters!

Tape up before you leave, then just carry a little extra. In my experience, if you use benzoin to prep, it will stay on forever.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

The straw is difficult because it bends when you try and to remove it. Try a pencil.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I use regular old duct tape for blister protection. I wrap it around an empty cardboard toilet paper roll. Is Leukotape lighter (and better) than duct tape?

I have not weighed the duct tape but I usually take enough to cover the ball of my foot (4-5 inches) for every day. It is also somewhat difficult to dispense.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

straw has worked for me, pencil would probably be work even better- especially if your already carrying one

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks everybody. I think I'll try to wrap it around a straw or maybe my pen.
    Do you need the benzoin ? If so where do you buy it? Well actually I know they sell it here at BPL, but I just paid shipping for a bunch of small things so if I can pick it up somewhere brick and mortar like REI or Walgreens that would be better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

x2 on info about need and source for benzoin.

also x2 on using a pen. I cut a 2" section of a bic pen tube. Works great.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

REI

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

yes, Leukotape is far superior. Doesn't rip your skin when you tear it off, it's bonding agent is medicine (zinc oxide) and it BREATHES. Plust, it just stays on so much longer without peeling. It's amazing.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

in addition to here, you can find it at NOLS (I wasn't even aware they sold "stuff")

also you can find it on ebay

what someone should do sometime is pool folks together and buy a large box- it ends up being dirt cheap when purchased in quantity

another possible option besides ampules would be to purchase it in bottle form and re-package in a micro bottle

John Schafer

@jdshiker

10 ampules for $4. I buy online, but I see that they have a Palo Alto store. They also have lots of other foot care products including Leukotape, Hydropel, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I think I'll try to wrap it around a straw or maybe my pen."

Kristin,
    I've tried both ways and found it a lot easier, although still not easy, to get Leukotape off a pen. Straws aren't rigid enough to withstand the pulling it takes to get Leukotape off. If I were you, I'd at least experiment at home before you commit to taking it into the backcountry on a straw.

Paul Lippi

@ozniot

In my experience either tape prevents blisters remarkably well. Provided you don't soak your feet in hot water, either tape will hold 3-4 days (Instead of a sponge bath, I carefully wipe my feet with an alcohol pad before putting on my sleep socks). Leukotape is more expensive, but easier to apply solo. Having said that, minor creases don't seem to impair the performance of Duct tape or cause noticeable irritation. Make sure to remove any excess tinture of Benzoin not covered by tape before putting your socks on, otherwise you'll mess up your taping job the first time you take your socks off.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

What kind of duct tape are you using? When I've tried to use it on skin, it slides off after a mile or two and sticks to the sock instead. Maybe I sweat more than other people do or something?

I have also watched someone try to fix a Camelbak bladder with duct tape with miserable results. Leukotape fixed his leak and it lasted the rest of the trip.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Roll-Stretch-Inches-10-yards/dp/B000HFMHGS/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

One problem with tape is it pulls the blister off. Would use cover roll above with the leukotape — it has a backing so you can cut off what you need. Use after lancing the blisters with a sterile lancet. As for stickiness — sure once you remove it from its original roll, it will be less sticky. (Personally, would not use duct tape on my skin, at least not directly against the skin. Bit of a priss!)

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Recently bought kinesio tape for a different use. Seems like it may be ideal. Has bit of stretch and made to be used against the skin. Anyone tried it on the feet?And Kinesio has a backing so you can cut off what you need. May not be as useful for repairs in the field as its stickiness relies on heat to some extent.

Paul Lippi

@ozniot

I've tried Kinesio Tex Gold. It stretches beautifully, but is ill-behaved. Wants to twist and stick to itself. I think applying it right almost requires a second pair of hands.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I use kinesio tape on my feet, and like it a lot.

It requires additional taping on the edges to prevent it from rolling, but is very thin, and comfortable against the skin. An extra pair of hands would be ideal, but like anything else, practice helps a lot.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

redmonk, what do you use around the edges of the Kinesio? Easier to use if you peel away the backing as you go. It is a bit magnetic to itself.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools