Topic

Make Your Own Gear – A Titanium Potty Trowel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Make Your Own Gear – A Titanium Potty Trowel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

This reminds me of Bill Gates trying to re-invent the Apple Operating System and calling it "Windows".

Yes, that is a negative comment.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Well , Steve Jobs and Co "re-invented" the Xerox Alto…
    Franco

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry Roger no disrespect intended but I share Bill's sentiment over this latest installment of make your own gear.

The MYO Titanium Trowel has been done before and in my opinion done better

Reference: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=2508&disable_pagination=1

Please take a second look at Bill Fornshell and Eric Nobles contribution they elevated the lowly scoop into a piece of art

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Bill Fornshell and Eric Nobles … they elevated the lowly scoop into a piece of art

Oh, I entirely agree. In fact, it was almost certainly their efforts which made me think of making my version. But I wanted something slightly different.

When the handle is simple, as in Bill's elegant design, the whole thing can twist in a sort of spiral manner. And the handle (even when dipped) can be a bit rough to hold if you really have to hack at the ground. Maybe our soil is a bit harder than Bill's – 'hack' (dagger fashion) is the operative word. I wanted a handle which was more 3-D and solid.

In fact, one could say that it is only in the handle region that my design differs. True enough. But having tried both sorts of handles on our soil, I find the solid handle much easier to use in the field.

Cheers

David Booth
    BPL Member

@davidbooth

Locale: Australia

Roger, why waste a few days making your trowel?
    Seems like a lot of hard work in the workshop when you could be out hiking.
    For years I have used a 9 inch aluminium alloy snow peg that weighs 30 grams and it has a dual use as a tent peg in case I need to pitch my tarp in a sandy place.
    I bet the titanium was expensive, not to mention your valuable time to make the trowel.
    (fellow) Aussie Dave
    Canberra Australia

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Borrowing from another poster –

Condolences.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'll stick with my Montbell. Only a half ounce heavier and $8. Readily available. And I have to agree this has been done already, long ago. But thanks for including standard weights and measures.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Personally I don't care if its been done before, I don't have time to search through thousands of old threads so I'm glad good ideas get published twice.
    Actually that sounds like a cool "rainy day" project. Personally I hate trying to dig with my current trowel so this is something I'll have to check out. Thanks for the detailed instructions.
    Luke

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Some of these replies seem to be little more than gratuitous sniping. Take:

"The MYO Titanium Trowel has been done before and in my opinion done better"

Maybe they should say what better is. Prettier? My point being that clearly, no reader has had time to fabricate both trowels and make an in-depth comparison.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

How is this anything like the apple-window's anecdote? Seriously, this is a trowel. Not exactly the kind of design that sees radical change very often. If anything, the trowel that Bill made (in the referenced thread, did he make others?) is much more of a copy/ripoff than this one. It uses thinner titanium and then had some extra engineering for strength. Hardly unique in either regard. I find it ironic that you made the comment that you did Bill. How is your design any less of a "Bill Gates" move?

Roger's trowel, much like Bills, uses some engineering to overcome an issue that Roger saw with the handles of current titanium trowels. His solution, in my opinion, probably works better than what Bill did. I think it would be more comfortable to hold and much less likely to twist or crease. I think using the same physics behind the design of shovels is a neat idea and that it was well implemented. I really don't get how this trowel is more of a copy than what anyone else has done. Is it because he used hose clamps for shaping like Eric did? Eric's trowel in that same thread is a complete rip off of the montbell design so yeah..

If anything, I like the PVC trowel in the referenced thread. I think I might make one of those! Thanks Red!

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I'm not sure whether I'll make a Ti potty trowel, but I really appreciate the details about working Ti and designing to avoid failure. Good article!

David Wood
    BPL Member

@redyeti

Locale: South Eastern UK

I agree the handle has got to be an improvement. I used a titanium MSR Blizzard Stake for ages but even wrapped in gaffer tape the handle was awkward in hard soil.

So I now copy another of Roger's ideas – I use a cut-down Coghlans potty trowel since that has a far more comfy handle.

Besides, these MYOG articles are surely as much about inspiration and information on working with the materials as they are purely for slavishly following.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi,

I never claimed to design the Ti trowel I made. I said I tried to buy one of the Montbell Trowels and they were out of stock. I had a scrap piece of Titanium left over from some other project and used the Montbell design and just pounded out one like it for myself.

I guess it was to bad I did not design my trowel. If I had I am sure someone would have taken the design and put them into production.

Bill

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Yeah, you definitely made clear why you started your design, I was simply wondering why you think what Roger did deserved the comment you made.

Heh, Bill, you do make good designs! :-)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

For the time Roger spent I would pay to watch / read about how he makes one of his tents.

Hey wait, I am paying, but no tent.

Roger has a really great tent design but I think I would need to watch it being made before I would try to do something like it.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Tough crowd in this thread.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> why waste a few days making your trowel?
    Well, that would be a fair comment, but I think is started after lunch and had finished by tea time. I put 4 hours as the time to make, including making up the pipe former. To make another one would take much less than 1 hour.

And it was fun.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I would pay to watch / read about how he makes one of his tents.

Ah, Bill – that might take a small book, not a short MYOG article! The development work took me years.

Maybe one day.

Cheers

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Roger,
    I expect I would buy the book or maybe a DVD.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I don't understand the negativity in the comments here either. But it seems to be smoothing over now.

For the record, Roger's articles were the main reason I decided to renew my membership to BPL. They're always informative and they bypass so much of the mindless consumerism that underlies a lot of this site.

Given the above (and the fact that I can't find a reasonably light 4 season tent that is long enough to fit me), I think it's high time you (Roger) spill the beans on how to make a Caffin tent. ;)

Eric Binder

@ebinder

Locale: New England

I'm glad to know that I pay money to be a member of a group that's populated by Children.

He made a FREAKIN shovel! Lighten up people!

If you made a different shovel, and did not like his, then take it and go home.

Nice work Roger! Please keep up the great creative inspirations for others to ponder on, and use to create their own designs.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Roger's tents…
    In case you have not been paying attention, the "problem" with Roger's tents is that they are not easy (economically viable…) to manufacture, however they could be a great DIY if you have the time and the skills . I have plenty of time and no skills neither the patience to learn.
    But here are enough pictures, drawings and comments to get you started.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/DIY_RNCSummer.htm
    Maybe Roger will accept donations for his efforts….

BTW, there is a winter tent link there too as well as many other DIY projects in the other pages.
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/DIY_RNCDesigns.htm

Or start here
    http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Index.htm
    Franco

Tranina Glover
    BPL Member

@panamint

I appreciate your instructions with clamps and vice grips and painting the item.

I probably will never make my own trowel. I just found a sea and ski collapsible trowel that weighs barely nothing and digs a hole fast. I was amazed. I'd like to see a review of it in backpacking light. It's really a working tool. It doesn't hurt my hands and the handle folds back into the blade. It's about four inches folded and maybe 2.5 inches across. At the bottom of the handle is a latch. Inside the handle, opening the latch storage is available for tissue and a lighter to burn trash. Cool.

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

I don't mean to be a wet blanket all the time, but one of those orange plastic trowels they've been selling for over 20 years (mine are 25 y.o.) only weighs in at under 65g.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools