Topic

facebook

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Was wondering what sites other people use to share photos and whatnot. I got a facebook account so I could easily share photos and stuff with my family and friends, but I'm getting mad at facebook and want to find another site. I'm not really a "social networking/social butterfly" type at all which is probably why facebook is angering me…

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I hear you about the angering part! I need more backpacking minded people as my friends, on there, instead of the people I knew in a past life of which I have so very little in common with.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Exactly. I don't really care what anyone is doing at the very moment they are doing it unless they are summiting Mt. Everest or something. I need some smart computer person to design a facebook type site for just backpackers.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use Flickr- it's great. And the bonus is that if you want to share some stuff on Facebook, it's easy. Video looks great too.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Flickr is very popular and works well. Smugmug is also worth a look, or you could start your own blog.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

I'll check out flickr. I dont really want to "blog", just have a place where I can park my pictures and family/friends can look at them. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I'd say most of my "friends" on Facebook are hiker friends :-D I think I have only a couple people from back in the day! I don't actively go after that crowd. It is nice though as we can share stupid links, photos, etc. Used right it can be good. And I do like that I can remove any feed link I don't want to see – like the stupid games people play.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Flickr is great, the one 'drawback' is that if you want to upload more than 100mb of photos a month, you have to pay $25 to have an unlimited premium acct.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I've built a PHP+MySQL based photo sharing application with a dynamic calendar.

You can check it out at pinnacle365.com. A user may upload their own photos, store their photos in an original size and a reduced size that is automatically created upon upload. It also keeps track of what you've uploaded. The usability can be upgraded into oblivion and there are many things in the works.

The site is specific to an area, but i've long thought about expanding it for individuals or other areas. On it, there would be a place for gearlists with databases of all your gear and any user supplied information along with manufacturer info if I got motivated to input all that data.

I've built all of the above for myself. Sound like something y'all are interested in?

Jack

Justin Chaussee

@judach

That looks pretty cool and simple, Jack. Is there a way to "click" on the thumbnail pics to view them full size?

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Not immediately. I got lazy with it there at the end. I do intend on adding a ton of usability features. One of those additions would certainly be a link to the original photo.

Anything you'd like to see in particular outside of that?

Jack

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Google Picassa sites

(Google also offers Google sites, which is free web hosting that works well with their other products.)

edit: Looks like the new picassa has improved geotagging of pictures with google earth as well.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Photobucket is another site that you could put a few pics on, if you run out of space on the others.

I think some people put too many photos up on sites. Just put a selection of the best ones, instead of 400 shots of basically the same shot of the same person or the same scene from different angles.

Edit: When I say that, I'm laughing. I've looked through photo albums of people out at bars. I swear, they will have 257 photos in the album, and it's the same 3 women picturing every minute of their visit to a bar. Out of the 100s of photos, there are only 3-4 variances, other than having their drinks in a different positions. LOL. It just cracks me up…they could have posted 4 photos and accomplished the same thing as the 257.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I think what happens is people upload the whole contents of their camera straight up to Facebook, Photobucket, Flickr, etc…you can tell by the laziness that they leave blurry photos up, photos not tilted correctly. Hate, hate that!
    So it takes an hour or less to quickly go through 400 photos and garbage 100 immediately, then choose another 100 to toss. Then you post the best 25.

But sigh, people can be lazy!

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I've tried all kinds of places, photobucket, etc. and went back to Flickr. I do pay the price but it allows you quite a lot of flexibility and I have a free uploader software that streamlines putting pics up and tagging them for different sets/albums. It's about the same cost and less technical maneuvering than buying your own space with a web host and uploading there.

I have Facebook and put some pics there, but that's how I network with hiking buddies and some of my friends. Not really into a lot of the stuff on there – the 'ignore' feature is really handy.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

haha, I know what you are talking about, Tom. I've seen so many photo albums where they just include every single photo they have.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Jack–

I've thought it would be cool to have my gear list on a database rather than a spreadsheet. Then I could use drop down menus for each section to get the list for a specific trip.

Now I just copy and paste onto new worksheets and it's a pain.

But I don't know anything about databases. I just think it would be cool.

I don't mean to sound too experienced, I'm new at all this, but still!

Justin Chaussee

@judach

I agree, David. A gear list database would be very helpful. As it is now on BPL, I have to make my gear list on microsoft word, email it to my wife's work email so she can convert it into PDF format (since I can't do it on my computer), she emails it back to me, and I can then upload it to BPL. Even after going through that, it's not really a database. Something where you could utilize drop down menus and change gear around at will would be cool. Then I wouldn't have to suffer my wife's wrath of making fun of my gear addiction either… "How much time did you spend on this?? You actually weighed out each individual thing? You are such a nerd…" :-P

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

a bit off-topic, but you can save the send to wife part of your process. There are a number of free print to pdf app's/print drivers out there. I can recommend PDFCreator.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Gorgeous but not free. Mac user? mobileme is OK.

My photos look bad on facebook. It takes about 10 times as long to upload them to SmugMug. Duh!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools