Topic

Gossamer Gear Mariposa question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear Mariposa question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

In terms of the "bulges out at the pad" problem, consider whether you need/want to cram stuff down in the pack so tight that it forces that bulge out. Instead, pack it higher (extension collar) and/or carry more gear externally (mesh all over the outside of the thing).

John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

I changed the configuration completely; No bladder in the bladder pouch. I have two blow up sleep pads (Big Agnes insulated) folded in the pouch along with the sit pad as the outermost, closest-to-back part.

I have changed the config multiple times – it's too big a bag…too tall. I spoke to Grant, sent himpics and he will tell me I'm the wrong size! The bag's fine ;)

He is REALLY helpful, supportive too.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

where is the belt in relation to the top of your hip bone…?

Its either center over my hip bones, to slightly below it. The pack anchors nicely into my lumbar, with the hipbelts pressure keeping it in place.

Brad Smith

@docone

Locale: Southwest

I had the same problem with bulging the first time I loaded the Meriposa using my thermarest as the pad. In this configuration the pack sat too far from my shoulders when I buckled the waist properly just as you describe. My thoughts at the time were that load lifters would be nice here.

After rearranging the load I was able to straighten the back pad considerably minimizing the bulge. I then had to play with the straps a bit to get a comfortable but was still somewhat skeptical.

However, after several trips with light loads properly balanced, I found it very comfortable to carry. Yes, it does take some forethought to avoid overstuffing the center of the pack and creating a bulge, but it carries remarkably well once you have everything set.

Doc

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Which of the stay styles are being used?; the older straight stays or the newer curved stays? I never used the straight stays because they did seem to pull the top of the Mariposa Plus back from the shoulders. The curved stays solved this problem for me, but to be honest, the most comfortable configuration is to use either the MP or Gorilla without the stays especially if loads are kept under 15-20 lbs. For me, a GG Sitlite pad or Torsolite pad in the pad sleeve works best. Inflatable pads can be folded & partially inflated & used in the pad sleeve but work less well than foam pads. Although, a rolled, partially inflated inflatable pad inside the pack will give very good "structure" & rigidity, it will take up considerable room & again pull the top of the pack back from the shoulders.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

What I do is press out all the air in my MontBell UL pad, close the valve while the pad is flat so that the pad remains flat, fold the pad lengthwise in half, insert that into the Mariposa so that the pad lies against the back and front of the pack, but the sides are open and the valve is available at the top of the pack, put in all my gear inside, and finally open the valve on the pad and blow air back inside to stiffen the pad and the pack. Because the pack already has its gear inside it doesn't become so straight that the pack pulls away from my back and it doesn't take up any more space inside the pack than is needed. It ends up taking much less space than a rolled up foam pad.

John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

I have a small on the way instead of the medium. I will absolutely try the semi inflated pad…great idea!

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools