Topic

Gossamer Gear Mariposa question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear Mariposa question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    John Davis

@billybooster

Locale: So Cal

I have just acquired the new mariposa from Goassamer Gear. I have been using a Z55 Gregory pack and kinda liked it but wanted to go lighter.

I am having to carry everything but food and a bear cannister for two; two bags, two pads, a 45oz tarptent, couple cookkits,the fuel, water purification stuff etc. And my snax and clothes. My companion carrys her clothes, personals and the bear box filled with all the food. It's weight is 10-11lbs alone (3 days, Whitney ).

Ive packed the bag and Im nott used to the design – it bulges out at the pad! This means it pushes against the whole of my back and it doesnt seem v comfortable. The shoulder straps when loose pull back and sit on my shoulders (not collarbone) – something the gregory didn't do at all. The only way to alleviate this is to cinch the shoulder straps tight, cinch the chest strap (can't remember the name!) and stick my a$$ out. It affects my stride it seems too….

The top of the waste strap padding is level with the top of my hip bone.

Am I missing something? I have 23lbs total inc weight of bag and it's awful by comparison… Help – tell me the secret… I leave this weekend!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My first thought is are you using the stays and a sitlite pad? If so that may just be too much volume for the pack. How much cramming have you had to do to get that much in there? I have had no problems carrying that much weight in mine, but haven't ever tried to cram gear for two in the pack

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

Why do you have to carry all your companions gear? What if you carried the food instead?

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Are you saying your total carry weight is 23lbs for everything, including water.

If so, it shouldn't be that uncomfortable? I carried 22lbs in my GG Gorilla, and it was blissful!

1st:
    don't try to carry a water bladder in the bladder pouch, they can and will cause the back-panel to bulge out if you have your gear packed in too tight against the bladder.

2nd:
    use a single layer sit pad in the pad holder, this will keep the pack as close to your back as possible. You want the bottom of that sit pad nestled into your butt shelf or Lumbar.

3rd:
    keep the heaviest single item (food) as close to your back as possible.

I have no experience with a bear canister strapped on top the pack with the "Y" strap, but from the pictures that I've seen, it looks like the weight could be offset too much, which could cause the pack to really pull back on you.
    If you could get the Bear canister in vertical just inside the top of the pack, I would think, this would improve the load transfer?
    I'm sure that there are some here that have used the Mariposa with a Bear canister that can help you out.

You could always email Grant a GG too.

John Davis

@billybooster

Yes the curved Al stay is in there. Yes I have a water bladder, and moving the bladder to the top of the bag has helped with the back 'pushing' however the shoulder straps seem 'way' wide and sit wide. I'm used to all the weight being on my hips and the shoulder strap tensioners simply pull the bag closer or release it further from my body. This 'pulls on my shoulders', so the weight isnt transferring 'right'.

My initial goal was to carry a bear cannister and some stuff to add up to around 25lb and my partner would carry what i am now in the gregory!

Is my theory wrong? My shoulders are sore after 20 minutes with this load!

I have packed it as follows;
    2 uncompressed sleeping bags at the bottom just filling the gaps. Clothes on top. Two sleep pads (Big Agnes) in their little stuff sacks, 18oz of cooking stuff with a water bladder atop that lot. On one side outside I have a 44oz tarptent, the other side the fuel 9 oz and a full 1 liter bottle of water.

Is it supposed to sit firmly on the back? Or can it 'swing' on the hips without wrenching shoulders?

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

My suggestion would be not to use the Platypus as a water bladder at all. The Mariposa Plus has nice side pockets. Get a 1 liter plastic soda bottle and use the short side pocket on the right side. You can reach around and drink on the go using this pocket. You can put a 1 liter platy in the long side pocket on the other side if you need more water. I don't know where you are leaving from but 1 liter should be plenty, anyway.

If you really like drinking from the tube and want to use the bladder and tube, then don't fill it up all the way. If you have a 2 liter just fill it up a bit more than 1 liter and take the air out of it. It should be fine. You can still have a spare 1 liter platy to fill up for dinner or long times between water.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

One thing I like to do is use 3/8" or 1/2" blue foam pad and cut it to fill the entire shoulder strap top to bottom.

Being the shoulder straps are so wide, I cut a scallop or radius into the pad insets, starting from the very top, and extending down about 6"
    The widest part of the cut is probably 3/4" in, from the inside edge of the padding.
    Think crescent type cut. This really helps to take the shoulder strap pressure off the area where your neck tapers down to the shoulder.

John Davis

@billybooster

The funny thing is it isnt pressuring my neck/ shoulder area… its way too wide and pressuring there…it's pulling a great deal backwards – not cutting in or anything…

Ive moved the water bladder to on top – I don't drinktube from it, merely use it as a top up of my bottle…

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I have the Mariposa Plus with aluminum stay. I have found that putting the bladder in the side pocket and putting the BearVault vertically in the pack on top of my insulation/clothing balances the pack much better than trying to use the Y strap and put the can horizontally. Tarp, kitchen kit, filter and other small items get slid down on either side of the can, or put in the wide net pocket. Maps, first aid, compass, glasses, sunblock and other such items go in the smaller pockets.

Balance is critical with this pack, otherwise yes, it does become difficult on the shoulders. I use the foam inserts instead of clothing in the straps for that reason. I've had up to the 30 lb limit without difficulty, but careful packing had to happen first. If the upper part of the load shifts backward, it can really drag at you.

Have you tried putting the tarptent against the back inside and the water outside? How tight are you getting the hip belt? I tighten mine to the point of discomfort and that takes most of the weight (not all) off the shoulders, and becomes comfortable within minutes of hiking.

John Davis

@billybooster

where is the tent? sleeping bag? are they compressed in a bag? :)

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

John,

I have had my Mariposa for a little over a year now, and probably have around 15 trips on it. Here's what I have found works best for me;

1)I use a MYOG 20×40 pad similar to the nightlight that folds into 4 equal sections, as both back padding and frame.

2) I removed the pack stays (I have the old version with two stays).

3) I removed the sternum strap

4) I cut the waist belt off, as it just restricted movement (pack is now 14.45oz including emergency whistle)

5) I put the heaviest items at the bottom of the pack. I know this is contradictory to what most people tell you, but it works best for me. It may have something to do with my not using the waste belt?

6) Other heavy items need to be as close to your back as possible, and lighter items away from your back.

7) Water is carried in the outside side pockets…one liter Aquafina bottle in the small pocket because it's easy to reach while walking, and up to three liters in the opposite side (I live in the desert).

I have only carried 25-30lbs during trips where I have no water source…in this case, I have also carried two liters of water in the bladder pouch (important note…two liters in a three liter bladder – otherwise it makes the back part round and uncomfortable).

This setup works very well for me for up to 30lbs, but obviously the lighter the better. The most important part of using a pack like this is learning how to load it depending on how you wear it. I don't miss my Gregory or REI packs at all. They are currently just taking up room in my closet. Guess I should post them on craigslist…they'll never get used in my house again.

John

John Davis

@billybooster

Questions – and i apologize if this seems redundant;

Does the pack sit on your back 'fully'? Or just at the hips?

With no waist belt it must rest solely on your shoulders right?

Do the straps sit closer to the neck or shoulder (mine are way out on the shoulder (ball/socket) area

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Sorry John, I forgot to mention that I use the foam shoulder pad inserts that came with the pack…mostly because without them the shoulder straps didn't stay flat and were annoying. The wide straps is one of the parts I really like about this pack…it never feels like it's cutting into your shoulders.

I tend to let the pack ride as low as the straps will allow, or sometimes just a little higher, depending on the weight (higher for heavier).

Yes, all the weight rides on my shoulders since I don't use the waste belt. Works for me…but I think I'm the exception on this style, as most seem to like the waste belt.

John

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

I suppose if you don't feel the need to use it the waist belt does go to waste.

"Does the pack sit on your back 'fully'? Or just at the hips?"

I keep the shoulder straps tight enough to share part of the load and keep the pack straight and centered on the waist belt. Sometimes I loosen and let my back breathe, with all the weight on my hips.

"With no waist belt it must rest solely on your shoulders right?"

Check. Which is why I won't go without the belt over 20 lbs.

"Do the straps sit closer to the neck or shoulder (mine are way out on the shoulder (ball/socket) area"

On the Mariposa the straps appear to ride right over my collar bones, with the inside edges even with the sides of my neck (gosh, this is fun to describe). I have a medium. But I use the sternum strap and do adjust it in and out.

John Davis

@billybooster

thanks lori – i plan/want the belt – couldnt do it with just shoulders…

to get the shoulder straps on your collar bone are you cinching tight the sternum strap? Or is it just loose?

This shouldnt be as complicated as I am making it…but even with 16lb totally loaded its really not comfortable…. I am lost as to why.

My Gregory at 35lb is more comfortable than this by MILES. This feels heavy, restricting, and I'm sad as I SO want it to work :(

Is your sleeping bag at the bottom 'not' compressed as they suggest?

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

"waste", lol :~)>

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

No prob – it takes more getting used to with the ultralight or just plain light gear, doesn't it?

With the Granite Gear pack I have load lifters and such – with the Mariposa, I'm left with the belt and straps and sternum strap. So, I follow the usual sequence of shrugging up with the shoulders and tightening (overtightening) the belt, with the padding centered over my hip bones. When the pack settles on the hips, I pull on the shoulder straps til the pack is against my back and I can feel the weight settling downward. The sternum strap is as loose as I can stand it without letting the straps drift out.

I have done two things – since I have not one but two quilts (underquilt and top quilt that go with my hammock, oo lala comfort!) I have tried each quilt in its own stuff bag side by side in the bottom, and also stuffed both quilts in a larger (Ray Way style, goes with my Ray Way quilt) stuff sack, which is designed to let the quilt loft in the pack. Both JRB quilts fit quite well in the Ray Way sack with room to spare for my down jacket. With two stuff sacks the quilts fill the bottom of the pack tightly. With the one more vertical sack it will get tighter if I pack stuff in on top very tight, but not feel like the seams will burst. Carrying both quilts in the one sack results in a more vertical load and the tarp and hammock will stuff tightly down either side of it. A bearvault solo will fit on top and the lid will be even with the frame top. The rain poncho, day's lunch/snacks, and a bit of fishing tackle go on top of the can in the extension. Filter and other smaller items go in the front pocket.

I'm considering trying the NeoAir slightly inflated (medium, 20" wide) in the pack instead of the Sitlite. Not sure how that will wear on the mattress, tho.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Perhaps you have the wrong size. If you have the medium and it puts too much weight on your shoulders then you might need a large. My Mariposa Plus is just as comfortable as the Gergory Z Pack, Osprey Aether 60, or Mountainsmith Phantom packs I have owned in the past as long as I keep the weight down in the low 20's or less, and I am a real wimp about weight on my shoulders. One of the main purposes of load lifters is to help adjust the pack for different sizes. If you have one that fits just right and are carrying light loads, they aren't really needed. Of course you always have to realize that the pack may not be right for you. You could always try the ULA Circuit or the SMD Starlite both similar packs, but a little heavier duty. Both of those packs also have load lifters if you feel like you need them.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Who are you talking to? No one complained about the lack of load lifters.

John Davis

@billybooster

no way i could be a large… i am 18" back measurement, small waist, and 5'4" in height. I think maybe a small perhaps….sad thing is i have to go do whitney on sunday and have no time to really test it. I'll give it a go tomorrow on a 2hr gig, see how it feels….

thx all for the advices…

John Davis

@billybooster

i think the reference to loadlfters was not a complaint but more of a comparison to the Gregory…

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

I am an 18" size as well and the medium has done well for me. The medium is for 16-20" torso, unlike so many other brands of packs I fall in the middle of the medium size specs.

John Davis

@billybooster

With the wiast padding centered on the top of my hip bone the top of the shoulder straps at the bag are a couple inches higher than where it touches my shoulders. I dont think im wide enough! I have arranged and rearranged 21lbs and its nasty. Really not sure why. It pulls backwards way too kmuch for a little pack. I will call Grant there tomorrow and get his advice, but it looks like its going back :(

I only have 4 days to get another pack in this size range grrrr

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

I've had both a large Mariposa (old Style) and now now a Gorilla, in a Medium.

I like the slight wrap over the shoulders, that I get with the Medium. Its more of a balanced carry, IMHO.
    With the large Mariposa, the shoulder straps where level with the tops of my shoulders, or to even being slightly above, when carrying less weight.
    I never used the (2) carbon fiber stays as it would make the shoulder staps fit or ride up even higher on me.

I now like my packs to fit with the shoulder straps anchor points about 2" below the 7th vertebrate, which is the large lump at the base of your neck.

John Davis

@billybooster

where is the belt in relation to the top of your hip bone…?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools