Topic

Bad Tasting Dromlites

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bad Tasting Dromlites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason Ham
    BPL Member

@jasonham

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Does anyone have any ideas about removing the plasticy taste from the Dromlites? Any special soaks? Baking Soda? Vinegar? Both? I just drink water out of them without any drink mixes and I can seem to shake that plastic taste.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

I have experience with the MSR Dromedary bag, which I will assume uses the same coating as the dromlite. My suggestion is to do the things which will promote the leaching process. For example fill the bag with hot water and let it sit until it cools then empty and repeat. Also do the soaks suggested by MSR like soaking with vinegar overnight. Also store the bag sans cap in a ventilated manner to promote release of the the ‘stinky stuff’ into the air.

Given the nature of the coating on these bags you have to expect more distasteful leaching than you might experience with hard plastics.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The water in mine just started tasting bad/stale. Blamed it on lake water , but still tastes bad at home with good water. Any ideas on getting rid of the funk?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

baking soda? try it – can't hurt

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Sometimes diluted bleach or white vinegar works, depending on what is creating the taste, but never mix the two.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Bleach is next. Baking soda, no effect. Soap and hot water was tried first. Thanks.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I vote bleach too. Works well for me on platy style bags from various manufacturers.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

After treating with bleach, treat it with vinegar to neutralize the bad bleach taste

Then, after treating it with vinegar, treat it with baking soda to neutralize the vinegar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools