Topic

Need Trail Beta for the Lost Coast, CA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Need Trail Beta for the Lost Coast, CA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nathanial Eady

@dagreekpacker

Locale: California's Central Coast

Looks like I'm finally gonna get some time off work in the coming weeks and am hoping to hike all or a portion of the Lost Coast. Hoping someone can answer the following questions:

Is there a shuttle for the whole length of the hike or just half of it?

I'm planning on taking the trip in October sometime, will there be torrential rain? Will there be reliable water sources?

Can anybody recommend a good guide book or website on the Lost Coast?

I don't mind backpacking solo but if anyone wants to join me let me know, escpecially if we can use a car drop to hike sections that the shuttle doesn't service.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Trekking California by Backpacker magazine (The Mountaineers Books/Paul Richins Jr.) has a excellent description of the hike and daily mileage and directions to the trailheads…

Punta Gorda- Lost Coast

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I live near the the Lost Coast. October can be a beautiful month. I think it will be a good one this year. Water is not a problem along the coast, but sparse on the ridges. Wind is your constant companion, mostly. There are shuttle services available. Let me know when you are going, PM if you wish, Maybe we can work a shuttle out or I would go with you. Get the map and info packet from the bureau of land management field office in arcata,ca.http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/kingrange/index.html

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'm not sure why no one seems to start in the mountains and do a loop hike of the Lost Coast, but I'd highly recommend it. Makes a good hike even better.

Kate Hoch
    BPL Member

@dropnroll

Locale: PNW

I'll be in CA in mid October. I was planning on doing the Lost Coast, probably ~13-17ish. Looking into shuttles, they seem very expensive. So, I was going to try to do a loop with the mountains. Dave – Do you have any suggestions for which portion to do? (like the northern end Cooskie creek or the King Crest trail?) I don't think I'll have time to go all the way from Shelter Cove – Mattole and back again.

I got the map from the BLM office. I have an extra, so if anyone needs one, let me know and I'll be happy to mail it to you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Dave, Have you done this? I have not found anyone willing to go with me on a loop like that. The trails are steep and not well maintained lately . I think most come to experience the hiking along the ocean. And the small elevation gain and loss has its appeal to the uninitiated. That sand is soft! Like walking uphill. Absolute bliss on the terraces though! Amazing scenery! Don't get out there enough. Glad to have it as my backyard. Only 45 miles to Mattole.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I hiked the loop solo 7 years ago. I drove up the Smith-Etter road, parked at Kinsey Ridge, hiked down Cooksie Creek to the coast, then down to Big Flat the first day. The second day, I hiked down to and then up Horse Mountain Creek. I think I camped at Horse Mountain, or somewhere along the Saddle Mtn road. The next day I finished the road walk and went all the way along the King Crest trail and a bit of road walk back to the car.

It was a fun trip. The haul up Horse Mountain Creek I recall as being very slow and hot (it was mid July). The crest had very little water, I wandered off trail a bit to one spring (the name escapes me) and had to dig a hole, then siphon water with a camelbak hose. I also had perfect weather the entire time, plenty of wind, but no clouds or rain at all.

I'd recommend it, and do the same trip again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools