Topic

MLD Caldera UL Compact

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals MLD Caldera UL Compact

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Ron at MLD Here-

New product announcement.

See mldgear.com for more + pics.

(Also check out the new homepage picture by Andy Skurka with his DuoMid in Alaska.)

MLD worked with the awesome TrailDesigns folks to create a shorty Caldera Cone.

It stores inside the MLD 850ml pot with the TD AL stove.

This is the basic set up I DYI'ed for personal use for a long time.

I always liked pots tall enough that the windscreen fits inside but that means the pot has to be tall enough to get enough clearance under the pot bottom to the AL stove for best efficiency.

We really like the TD Al stove too and it matches it's heat output with the cone just right for very good fuel economy.

Peace,
    Ron

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Message Bump

A few still left in the first run…

Peace,
    Ron

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

Ron,

Any chance it might work with a Snow Peak Trek 900?

Mark Seeley

@mseeley

Locale: Arizona

Ron, any plans to develop a version that will work with the Gram Cracker stove?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

According to the MLD website description of this new wonder,

"Single Fuel tabs (Esbit, Firelight, etc) can be used instead of the AL stove."

Note that the pot no longer sits completely down in the Caldera Cone which suggests to me that heat transfer is not as good on this shorty design as on the original, full-coverage Caldera Cone for the same pot.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

got mine today and it is a pretty slick setup. Prob not as efficient as a regualr Caldera Cone, but still works very well…

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

Jonathan,

How's the compact setup working for you? Any comparisons with a full cone?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Loving how it breaks down to fit in the pot completely. I can fit the cone, burner, matches and a 2oz alcohol bottle inside which is very awesome. As per advice on the MLD if you configure the pot handles over the cone seam they retain a minimal amount of heat. The only downer is that is is not as efficient as a normal Caldera Cone. I also have a Tri Ti with an MSR Titan Kettle and 20ml of alcohol brings a rolling boil super fast. The MLD Cone will still bring it to a boil but not as fast or for as long. I also notice that some flames will spill out the side vents from time to time (very rare). All in all I am very happy with it for my purposes.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Yet another thing to add to my gear wishlist. Sigh…

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Very cool! Thanks for the update.

I've invested in a Snow Peak 700 mug, so I'll be waiting to see if a version is release for this mug. Looks like it would be more ideal for just bringing water to a boil to rehydrate some food.

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

Adam:

I sent you an email….we could probably do a custom SP700 UL Compact for you. For others that have different pot sizes, we just posted the expanded list of what the Caldera UL Compact will support on our website. Also did another post in the Gear Deals forum announcing it.

Rand

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Woo Hoo! I'm totally stoked!
    You guys rock!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Rand,

Any chance of a ti compact for wood use?

-Tim

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I too would like to see one for the SP700, even for the SP600 now that you can get lids from Jason Klass,

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

Don't really want to hi-jack Ron's thread here. If you would like to chat about other size Caldera UL Compacts….and variations like wood-burners…..I started another thread here in Gear Deals called "Caldera UL Compact Complete Lineup"…..or words to that effect.

Rand :-)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools