Topic

TR–Maroon Bells Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports TR–Maroon Bells Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Okay, folks, first effort at posting a trip report–I'll start out small. Sorry, it's a little heavy on human interest shots.

This was our 3 day trip into the Maroon Bells Wilderness, entering from the south side (near Crested Butte). We started up the Copper Creek Trail in a light rain, which, fortunately, dried up after an hour or so, leaving brilliant sunshine. Arriving at Copper Lake we set up camp and were able to stay dry in the Double Rainbow when a series of rain/thunder/squalls moved through intermittently throught the evening.After the rainAfter the rainFiltering water with more views from the campsite

The next morning dawned crystal clear with frost on the grass. We hiked up from Copper Lake past Copper Pass on on up to Triangle Pass, at nearly 13,000 feet. The views toward the Maroon Bells were spectacular as were views in the other direction to Castle Peak and down toward Conundrum Hot Springs. Castle Peak was dusted with fresh snow from the night before.Looking back as we climb toward Triangle PassLooking up toward Triangle PassHusband and Dog reinact scene from "The Sound of Music"

We descended from Triangle Pass on the Aspen side, then traversed west to East Maroon Pass, then back down to our camp at Copper Lake. For once, the Colorado weather stayed fine and sunny. We enjoyed our FBC mexican rice with beef, and retired early.

Sunday morning we visited with neighboring BPers before packing up and hiking back to the trailhead. As we hopped in the truck, the first raindrops fell–good timing!

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Well, crap, that was a disaster…. this is why I don't post TRs!

Steven Killion
    BPL Member

@blendedfrog

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Kimberly, thanks for the TR post. Don't get discouraged. I enjoy the human interest photos and would love hear about your gear as well.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Looks good to me. Thanks for sharing.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

Maroon Bells is beautiful… you must have had a great time! Wish I could go back.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I don't think it's bad. You might want to go into the edit mode to add a few RETURNS between the each photo and the text. For some reason, the software sometimes removes them, causing things to stretch out across the page, instead of stacking up so the readers can more easily review them.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

It looks good to me, Kimberly. You can probably go back in and take out the duplicated first photo. I especially like the last photo. It really gives an idea of the spaciousness of the area and makes me want to get back up there.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Thanks guys– I'm amazed anyone had the patience to scroll all over the place to actually view the scattered photos! (taken with my OLD 3.1 MP camera). I tried to put a few returns between pics, but obviously didn't get that right.

The last one was my favorite too– I have to admit that I tried to reinact the musical portion of the scene from "The Sound of Music", much to the displeasure of husband and dog.

I love my Conduit for 2-4 day trips! I was trying to work my husband over to get him to trade his Gregory Z55 for a ULA pack, but with production shut down for now, it's a moot point. The Double Rainbow was nice and solid through the occasional squall on the first evening. We are using a Hyperflow filter– I know there have been mixed reviews on this, but we are liking it (though the backflushing is kind of a pain)–it's nice and light, easy to pump, and taste generally isn't an issue with the water sources we use.

I've really enjoyed fine-tuning our gear. Well, MY gear. Now if my husband will just let me get to work on his….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools