Topic

PCT, Stevens to Snoqualmie pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT, Stevens to Snoqualmie pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

This was my first long distance solo trip and luckily all wen't well. Temps were definitely warmer, both night and day, then I was used to with highs close to 90 and lows in the 60s. My total pack weight was just under 20 lbs with 7 lbs of food, 2L of water and a 8.5 pound base pack weight. I averaged about 19 miles a day over 4 days and gained a lot of much needed knowledge.

July 26,
    Met my first group of hikers on top of Stevens pass ski resort. One of them snapped the only picture I have of myself from the whole trip.

Very early on I was longing for a Tenkara setup with the abundance of beautiful lakes.

Spent my first night here at Deception lakes.
    dhheh

July 27,
    wgvwfv

The Mount Daniel stream crossing.
    zdgz

Cathedral rock.
    ggzd

fhgkffj,

Deep lake, Buggiest place I've ever been.
    gkfjh

My favorite camp was at Waptus lake. I found a secluded Island camp site with beautiful views in every direction.
    hkgfgh

July 28,
    I slept in and took my time at Waptus lake in the morning finally leaving around 11.

gfmgf

dfjh

fdtyfk

The most scenic section on the trail IMHO was Escondido ridge.
    agfhafgzfdg

A thunder storm was rolling in and just after I took this picture a bolt of lightning struck right in my frame about a mile away.
    afgafga

Causing this.
    kfghcgh,

djgdhfj

On the way down I crossed paths with some backpackers going the opposite way. They warned me that the Lemah creek bridge was out but there was a short detour with a calf high ford. Shortly after I talked to them It started to rain and I could tell by the increase in mountain runoff that I was going straight to the ford.

By the time I got there it had been raining steadily for over 3 hours and the stream was now definitely deeper than calf deep. I scouted around and found the washed out bridge.
    fhhfj.n

I used my brunton ADC pro to measure the now thigh high water temp and speed at 51.3F and 6.4 MPH.

Due to my late start I came into Spectacle lake at 9:30 and wen't straight to bed.

July 29,
    It was dark when I came in, so when I woke up in the morning I was stunned by the scenery around me.
    tuyrdkj

From above
    agafv

tysag

Looking back at Kendall catwalk
    jhkgjgj

Snoqualmie pass
    sgagaf

arga

All in all I had a great trip. Luckily water was plentiful on the trail and I even drank some untreated water for the first time on my last day out totaling about 4 liters. I haven't started to pee out my butt yet so thats a good sign. My only injuries were sun burned/bug bitten arms and 2 small blisters on my toes so I'm going to try some Injinji socks and a long sleeve shirt. There was a good amount of overgrowth and tons of biting bugs but only a little snow on trail and a few blowdowns.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Very nice trip and great pictures. Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brings back fond memories. Wish I could take pictures like yours.

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Thanks guys. My secret to getting a good photo is taking 10 bad ones first.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Great trip report and photos Matthew, and a classic Cascade route. Nineteen miles/day—you were flying. Well done!

(I've hiked all that trail, but never strung together.)

Cheers,

Rick

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

Thanks for the pics to fuel the fire. I'm headed out that way in a couple weeks. We'll be taking 5 days or so to do that section northbound (I'm bringing fishing gear), Than with luck I'll be headed solo past stevens to rainy pass. Great pics and thanks for the trip report!

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

The fish were really active at the Waptus Lake island with room to cast all around. I could also count the amount of biting bugs I saw while I was there on 1 hand too which was a nice change. You'll have to post some fly fishing photos for us when you get back. Good luck.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

I'll try to get the group to get plenty of fly fishing pics to share. I've been collecting all my flies, and need to refill my fly box with extras of all the ones that have been working in the alpine lakes so far.

Steven Tomson
    BPL Member

@srtomson

Locale: Washington/Idaho

Great pictures and report. I am doing this leg north bound leaving 08/29. Can't hardly wait to get their. Hondo

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

You have some great photos. I especially liked the thunderclouds and trail through the woods.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Awesome Pics! Gotta say….that sunset was one of the greatest I've ever seen.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools