Topic

My General 3 Season Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My General 3 Season Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

>Does this 4 oz indlude a small pot? I need a larger pot because I normally hike with my wife.

I have a 3 cup fosters setup that weighs 4.5 for one.

You would want to add another spork and a bowl or two.

Whats nice about the short CTL container is for bag cooking and eating. What I do as I mentioned above is place the bag in the container and put the top on to let it stew.

When I get ready to eat, I fold the edges of the bag down around the outside, and it makes it a lot easier to eat out of. You dont neeed a spoon with a handle a mile long.

You can also fold the edges down over the outside, pour the h20 in and put the top on and let it stew that way. When you open it up just dig in.

You could do the same with a couple of bowls and just stew in the big CTL container and eat out of the bag placed in the bowls.

An extra spork and 2 easy mack containers would work and would add 1.8 oz. so the total rig for 2 would weigh about
    6.3 oz excluding the fuel bottle.

Also you can bag cook directly in a Barilla (sp?) tortellini bag, so those are good to go. I get 3 servings out of the large size.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You're making me want to buy another cookset for my solo trips. My current cookset is aimed at being able to cook more traditional foods with the FeatherFire alcohol stove (which can simmer) and the non-stick pot. This is what I want for hiking with my wife because she's a more traditional hiker than I am. I also like the larger pot for coffee since we each drink about 400ml of coffee so we need at least a 1 litre pot to boil that cowboy style.

For solo camping though I would like to get a setup like yours. It's seems very easy to use, in addition to being really light.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Not much to buy really for the 3cup rig. One big fosters premium ale, and a tall country time lemonade.

Add a 12 oz heineken and a red bull if you need the pot support and cup stove.

If the 2 cup rig, then you also need a 24 oz heineken can and some JB weld.

Add the silicone tape if you want that, but its not absolutely required. They sell it at ace. I think its called extreme tape or something like that.

They sell those microfiber dish cloths at publix.

400ml is about 13.5 oz. A big fosters can will do 12oz. If you could convince her to bag cook on short trips you would be good to go.

Try some Pilon instant expresso some time, just watered down a bit. Its better than any other instant coffee I have tried.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dan- coming along very nicely- you'll be solidly sub 10 before you know it :)

<

I've got a ways to go

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'd add at least one Platypus container (2.5 liter Platypus bottle = 1.3 oz.) to give you more freedom for camping away from water sources. You also need two water containers if you're using chemical treatment (which takes several hours)–one to hold the water being treated and the other to drink from.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I do have 2 platyBottles on my gear list….notice that the qty is 2. Do you still think this is too low? I almost never camp away from water. I could replace one of them with a larger bottle but then it wouldn't fit into the side pockets of my pack.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Dan, hope the ultra 20 is treating you well.
    do you have SmartWater or Aquafina in stores? if so, both make a 1.5L bottle that is thin and tall. And i would argue that under favorable conditions, (that is water above 32° and/or clear) micropur tablets dont take "hours"
    they take anywhere from 20-30min to kill most nasties..
    but ive never known anyone to contract crypto in N.A. by waiting less than 4 hours. not saying it hasnt happended, just havent heard of it.

also, if you want to purchase more 1L platy's, why pay $9?
    you can get these for much cheaper: http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/32oztravelerand8482.aspx

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Anybody have a weight on one of the 1L rum runner flasks?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i got a .83oz for one

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Those Rum Runner bottles do look good and they are cheaper. The problem is that I'm in Canada and so the shipping is usually a deal breaker. On small stuff I'm better off just to buy whatever I can get locally. MEC has some knockoff platyBottles that are $6-$7 that I will probably buy.

The Ultra 20 is working great. I love it.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

A few new changes:

– Removed the back panel foam from my Jam pack. By packing clothes & my quilt against my back I can't perceive any loss in comfort without the foam panel, so that's 34g (or 1.3oz) saved.

– As part of my new packing arrangement, I don't need the stuff sack for my quilt any more. I've got lots of room so I'm just going to let it float loose in the bottom of my pack. That saves 40g (1.5oz) but I will bring a garbage bag that I can pack the quilt in, if the conditions are really wet. I'm not sure what that weighs.

– Added a bandana. With my new windscreen and alcohol stove, I want to keep things from flying around inside my Ti pot and scratching everything up….plus the bandana is quite versatile.

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools