Topic

Pecos Baldy Lake: Pecos Wilderness,NM

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Pecos Baldy Lake: Pecos Wilderness,NM

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ethan Croft

@rcroft10msn-com

Locale: West (Big Horn Basin)

.Dry and sunny trail on day 1.

On 6/19/09 and 6/20/09 me and 5 others, including leaders, went on a weekend backpacking trip that would take us to some of the best features of the Pecos Wilderness, NM. These features included visits to Pecos Baldy Lake, Trail Riders Wall, and sights such as the 3 Truchas Peacks. In our small group of 6 two of use were ultralight backpackers. Me with a total weight of 11 lb. with 2+ liters of water and 2 days food and the other ultralighter,Scott,with a total of 14 lb. with food and water. The first day of the hike included 12 miles with a 6,000 elevation gain from Jacks Creek campground to Baldy Lake and then on to Trail Riders Wall after setting up camp at the lake (lake 7 mil. from trail head). Being at about 11,000 elevation that night we all had the chance to endure a classic high mountain thunder storm and shower. It rained and flashed all night with the current visits of the local bighorn sheep (I had them wanduring around out side my tarp in the middle of the night). The next day we all woke up to a wet and wild landscape of fog and mud trails. Packing up early to head the 7 miles back to the trailhead we all had a friendly competition. This competition was who ever did not fall on the slick trail wins. As the competition progressed those with the heavy burdens (there packs) did not have a hard time falling first. In the end the other ultralight guy, Scott, proved to be the winner.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Ethan,
    Looks like a great trip. Did you two ULers make an impression with the others? You might want to add a "return"or two between every few photos to get them to stack on the screen.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools