Topic

advice on silnylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear advice on silnylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

advice appreciated please: I want to dim the color of the front pockets on an aarn pack – being bright orange, not so good for hiding from sensitive trout.

The pack & pockets are silnylon. If I use a permanent texta to color them into neutral shade (e.g olive), what will the texta do the silnylon? Will it will affect the silicon treatment (probably)? More of a concern, will it damage the nylon?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If by texta you are talking about dyeing them. I don't think it will stick to the fabric at all.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Might just get a drab colored pack cover… will save you some trouble. Or velcro/sew some other color over the pockets?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

You could try making up a runnier seam-sealing mix, and add some dye to the mix. If it works, the pockets will also be waterproof.

I'd try it on a bit of scrap silnylon first.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Thin down some brown silicone caulk with low odor mineral spirits. Paint it on with stiff bristle brush in a cross hatched pattern of choice. Make it look edible and have the fish be attracted to your pockets. heh heh

do as suggested, try your product on a piece of scrap material for testing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools