Topic

GoLite Jam2 Functionality Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Jam2 Functionality Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks guys….I foresee a little strap cutting coming up this evening.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Dan, I just want to confirm your suspician on the bottom seam being critical. I removed my hydration sleeve by seam ripping all 3 seams. It went fine until I got to the bottom seam. It holds the entire bottom together. It was not easy to get it back together…so yes just cut the sleeve at that point.

BTW, I got my Jam2 (08 version) down to 16.75 oz while still keeping the foam back pad and pocket. I cut down the straps, removed the hydration sleeve, removed the strenum strap and cut off the belt.

I kept the foam pad as it helps greatly when using the Jam2 as a day pack. I use the compactor system and sometimes just store my day items in the back pocket.

Jamie

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I just finished my first round of modifications. First, I removed the hydration bladder. It was easy. I used a razor blade and a multi-tool knife serrated blade. I started in the middle of one of the long sides and cut a few stiches with the serrated multi-tool blade. Once I had a few stiches out, it was easy. You could kinda pull the stitches out from then on, you just had to cut off the string as it was getting too long every 5-10 stitches. I used the razor blade on the corners to get into the crack between the bladder fabric and the backpanel. Everything went smooth and after 10 minutes all I had left to do was the bottom edge. I didn't want to mess with this seam, so I just used my razor blade to cut the bladder fabric off as low as I could, and then cut off any dangling threads and called it a win. I'm excited for my scale to arrive so I can weigh this beast and see how many grams I've shaved off.

Next up was some strap cutting. I didn't want to cut the roll top strap or the side compression straps yet because I really need to get the pack fully loaded before I have an idea of how much extra strap I have. I might want to use the side compression straps joined to one another to hold a ridgerest on the back of the pack. If you were only going to use the side compression straps as compression straps, you could cut off a whole lot. Probably a foot.

The straps I did cut as the sterum strap, the two shoulder straps and the waist strap. I cut off 3.5", 6" x 2 and 8" x 2 respectively. Looking at the scraps, I've got a decent pile here. It could weigh an ounce. I'm guessing the strap cutting shaved off an ounce and the hydration bladder 1 to 1.5oz. I really have no idea though. Hopefully my scale gets here soon.

Oh and the melting the ends trick was awesome. It was very easy to do and gave very satisfying results. I love it. I also really like how neat my packs looks when I wear it and there isn't straps dangling everywhere. I would do this mod purely for aesthetics alone. Now I just need to get those side compression straps and roll top strap cut. I also am considering removing one of the 'organizer pockets' inside the hip pockets. I can imagine using one of these for my keys, but I don't know why I'd need two. None of my other packs even have these and there are very few things I carry that are small enough to even fit in here. On the flip side, I doubt they weigh much though. Probably 1/10th of whatever the bladder weighs.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I thought those 'organizer pockets' inside the waist belt pockets were a stroke of genius! I didn't know they were in there when I ordered my pack but I was pleased they were. Like you say they hold keys perfectly in one side and they hold my lip balm and 1oz sunscreen in the other. These little items were always getting lost under Honey Stingers, Snickers and gloves in my old packs.

I've been modding along behind you. Cut the bladder sleeve out and cut the straps down. Yeah, it's only grams saved but it sure looks neater.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I got my new scale in the mail last night so I could finally evalutate my modifications. The accuracy of the scale is appearing very good, despite being only $3 on eBay. A bunch of my gear that I weighed on an expensive scale at work last summer weighed exactly the same (to the nearest gram) on this new scale. Nothing was off by more than a gram which is remarkable.

To refresh you, I have removed the hydration bladder and cut the main waist straps, sterum strap and the shoulder straps. The bits of strap I have cut off weigh a total of 25 grams. The waist belt straps were the bulk of that weight since they are much larger straps. I go into detail in a previous post, but I think I cut off about 5-6" off most of the straps. By cutting the compression straps and roll top strap I could probably shave off another 10g. I'll likely do that at some point. I could also shave off more weight with more aggresive trimming, but I want to leave a couple inches of buffer for times I'm wearing more clothes or when someone else might be using the pack.

The hydration bladder sleeve and hook that I removed weighed 28 grams (exactly 1 ounce).

My pack now weighs 699g. The intial weight spec'd on GoLite's website is 753g and my scraps account for 53g, so in my packs original form, it weighed 752g. Kudos to GoLite for being so darn accurate with their weights.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Today I weighed the piece the foam used in the backpanel at 34g (1.2oz). If you were sure you never want to use this, you could also cut out the sleeve it seems and probably shave off another ounce.

I'm guessing here, but the hipbelt pockets have got to weigh 1 ounce each. So if you really wanted to shave weight you could shave off atleast 2oz here.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I just cut 6 ounces off the LARGE size JAM2. (the newest version)

—-

Reply To Chris W. below:

No, it's the 2009 version.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I just cut 6 ounces off the LARGE size JAM2. (the newest version)

Newest meaning the 2010 they made 2 lbs?

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I really don't understand all this hacking on a perfectly good pack, just the ways it is? Why not just purchase a lighter weight pack?

I'll probably never use the hyd. sleeve on my Jam2's. Yeah, I got a medium now, and a large on the way. But, I don't feel the need to remove it, to save 2oz or whatever?

No way would I ever hack off hip-belt pockets, as they're way to useful.
    Although, they don't look like they will be very water resistant, and I'll probably have to resort to using pint size ziplock bags to line the pockets?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

The reason to cut off stuff is to make the pack lighter.

I have a 3.7 oz gossamer gear pack, and I managed to cut some stuff off that too!! Got it down to 3.4 oz!!!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

@ Michael: "I really don't understand all this hacking on a perfectly good pack, just the ways it is? Why not just purchase a lighter weight pack?"

The Jam2 is starting to have a lot of features….some of them nice and some of them useless to some owners. It's nice to start with these features and then cut off the ones you don't need, instead of getting a pack with none of these features.

Personally, I like the hip pockets a lot so I'm keeping those, but the hydration sleeve and extra straps can go for sure. I've shaved off atleast 2 oz now, which might not sound like a lot but it gives me the option of either having a 2oz lighter pack, or adding 2oz of luxuries. For example, I can now take my Jam and a big fat cigar for the same weight as you take just your Jam.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

@ Mike C: "I just cut 6 ounces off"

Care to go into more detail? I imagine you cut out the hydration sleeve (1oz), removed the foam in the back (1oz), cuz the straps (1-2oz) and what else? Did you remove the sterum strap? Waist pockets?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

NIXED with scissor:
    ================

– ice axe loops

– side compression straps

– I cut off the top inch of fabric, where the draw cord was sewn over. It's gone. I used a lighter and seared the edge of the fabric. I poked holes and threaded a teeny-weeny string (masons line) like a old navy sea-bag.

– shortened every strap as short as I could get away with.

– Cut out the pocket inside that held the foam pad (this includes the water bladder holder.

– the pad is gone

– the dorky little key holder

– I removed the BIG sternum strap and replaced it with tiny webbing and tiny fastex (I used the side compression strap webbing and fastex)

– I removed the BIG waist strap and replaced it with tiny webbing and tiny fastex (I used the side compression strap webbing and fastex)

– I kept the side pockets on the hip padding

– I kept the side pockets on the body of the pack

(it totals 7 oz exactly when I way my pile of detritus)

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

May as well cut out the zipper from the front pocket too. You can sew in a small piece of velcro for a closure.Heck, cut the front pocket out completely.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I have cut the zippered pocket off completely on another pack JAM, and I like it.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Its insane and senseless butchery, I tell YA!!!!

Jack G

@nomadjack

If you want to remove the enormous waist strap and replace it with the side compression straps (thanks Mike for the idea) or just a smaller strap, an easy way is to leave an inch or so of the old waist strap and attach the smaller strap directly to it. This way you don't have to mess with the seams or stitching inside the hip pocket. I used some super glue first and then let it set overnight. I then trimmed the old strap to match the narrower strap. Then I took it to a shoe repair place and they stitched the two straps together. The new waist strap is not only much lighter but also looks much better. Whoever decided to use a 1.5 inch belt needs to go directly to UL training school. They can go with the person who designed the sternum strap and the one who decided to put two compression straps on each side instead of one in the middle and the person…

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Neat idea….if I knew how to sew I would do this for sure.

I did trim my side compression straps a couple days ago so they are only long enough to function as compression straps. No longer can I join the two sides together behind the pack to attach external stuff (ie. a bedroll). I can't see that I would ever need to do that, and if I did I could also use some rope to tie it on. Trimming about 10" off these straps saved about 3g/strap or 12g total.

I also removed the elastic loops off the hipbelt strap as they are no longer needed when you trim the strap so there isn't excess hanging off.

These mods are in addition to my previous mods (removed hydration bladder, trimmed sternum strap, shoulder straps and waist belt strap) so now my 2009 Jam weighs 688g down from 755g. Most of the savings came from removing the hydration bladder (about 30g) and trimming the waist belt strap. The other straps are so darn light it hardly makes a difference but it does give the pack a cleaner look. Now that I've done this I can't stand the look of a pack with excess strapping hanging off everywhere. It's just sloppy.

Jack G

@nomadjack

You really don't need to know how to sew. I said super glue but the specific brand was "Gorilla Glue." The bond that that glue creates is strong enough that it would be fine just gluing and not stitching together. The only problem with gluing two straps together is that they become stiff. It is only an inch so it doesn't really matter but stitching without gluing might be a better approach. Just a guess but I would think that most dry cleaners that do sewing could probably stitch the two straps together if you don't glue first because the straps will still be soft and a normal sewing machine should work.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

This thread was referenced in a thread on lightening the pinnacle and a difference in the two designs is worth noting.

It seems the hydration pocket in the Jam2 has its lower seam intermingled with pack structure. I want to make it clear that this is not the case in the pinnacle. The stitching holding the pinnacle's hydration sleeve is single purpose and can be easily removed with a seam ripper or other tool on all three sides.

I suspect the 2 different height packs, share an identical sleeve, which is placed a standard distance from the top, resulting in a generous distance from the bottom edge in the larger pinnacle and an easier deletion.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools