Topic

GoLite Jam2 Functionality Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Jam2 Functionality Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I got my Jam2 in the mail today and I'm a bit baffled at a few things. First, here is a picture for reference:

Jam2 functionality

QUESTION 1:
    I can't figure out what the bungie cord loops are for near the upper side compression straps. The side compression straps are fully sewed to the bag so they are not relying on this bungie for any support or anything. Also, the bungie cords just end immediately inside the pack so it's not like you can cinch the pack up with these. They are not connected to each other or anything. Are these bungie loops for hanging stuff off? Like what?

QUESTION 2:
    What are the two fabric loops hanging off the bottom for? I don't believe these are for the comPacKtor system. Do you just hang stuff off these? Or what? Here's a picture…I'm talking about the big loop on the left:

jam2 loops

QUESTION 3
    I want to remove the hydration sleeve. Any tips for doing this? Do I just grab a sharp knife and start cutting stitches? I'm nervous. I don't have a stitch remover/cutter.

QUESTION 4
    Any tips for rolling the top of the pack closed? Do you guys find rolling it forwards or backward works best? I'm a bit concerned about rain puddling on the top and eventually finding the hole.

Thanks guys!

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

They are for ice axes… the loops at the bottom of packs are referred to as ice axe loops, the bungee is to secure the ice axe vertical… this is set up for two ice axes. Just to add some extra knowledge for you, the loop at the top of a bag is referred to as a haul loop, these are remenants for climbers as you might have already guessed, and it's funny to see how many standard cheapo backpacks include these features. I don't even think some of the manufacturers know what they're for so don't feel bad :P

As for a seam ripper, they are cheap at walmart or target, and it's a lot better than using a knife. Ensure that the seams you're ripping aren't attaching anything other than the hydration sleeve before ripping it out though please. I don't have this pack, but I have a roll top bag and I always have rolled towards the backpanel, for some reason unbeknownst to me.

John Ben

@aristotle_man

Do you have pictures of to use the haul loops? Can I use them to fasten my hiking poles to my pack? Or has anyone found any other unique uses for these?

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The ice axe loops work great for your hiking poles.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks guys….I really appreciate the answers.

I'll buy a proper seam ripper from Wal-Mart soon.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Being the Gear Freak that I am, I went and ordered a Jam2 from Prolite. They didn't have a large so I went with a Medium, even though, most say to size up. I do favor backpacks, almost to the same degree as Franco with his Tarptent's? HA
    I think, my current count is 8 packs, excluding 2 day/hyd. packs.
    I did see Will R. review on the Jam, and in the first picture, it seems that the pack is actually too tall for him, with the shoulder straps almost level with the top of his shoulders.
    I personally have found that a good wrap over, is a better or a more equal balance for load carry. Instead of trying to carry more of the weight on the hips.

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Locale: Southeast

I don't have the Jam 2, I have the Pinnical which I believe is almost an identical design, just on a larger scale. I also removed the hydration sleeve from mine and don't recall it being too difficult with a seam ripper and don't think it was attached to anything critical. You can just turn the whole pack inside-out to make it easier to work with. It looks like they redesigned the Jam 2 a bit from last year… are those zippered hip pockets I see?

I have also used the ice axe loops for holding my treking poles and they do work well for that. I can't say that I have found the Compressor loops and hooks at the bottom very handy, it really seems to distort the back panel with a loaded pack. As for rolling the top lid I wouldn't say the direction matters as much as how tightly it is rolled. I know the material is water resistant to a point but I personally don't know how much it will take, I usually wear it under my poncho when it rains.

I've found plenty of weight saving opportunities with the Pinnical. I think I've shaved almost 10 oz. from it since I've had it.

Overall I really like my GoLite pack and have been pleased with it. I'm considering moving to a Jam 2 soon for the smaller pack volume.

John Ben

@aristotle_man

How do you secure the trekking poles in them? Do you put the handle through the bottom loop then through the top portion and cinch down the bungie under the handle?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Mike, how did you manage to reduce the Pinnacle weight 10 ounces? What modifications did you make?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I put the basket on my trekking pole in the bottom loop, and use the upper loop around the handle. It would work either way though.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Water does indeed seep through the fabric on the top. I had no expectation of it being waterproof though.

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Gary,

Now that you ask and I look at the numbers again 10 oz. seems a bit extreme. But when I look at the advertised weights (I know a little optimistic at times) of 30 oz. and my current weight of 19.5 oz I'm having a hard time believing it myself. All I really did was trim excess slack from the straps, removed "Compactor" system, removed the hydration sleeve and the foam sheet from the back.
    I can't find anything with my starting weight before modifications. Is the newer model that much heavier? If anyone has the stock weight from last years Pinnical please post. Don't get me wrong, you can trim oz. but I really have to reevaluate my 10 oz. statement (Disclaimer: the previous statement was made after a long shift, I was a bit sleepy).

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

My size medium Pinnacle, which I think is a 2008 model, weights 25 or maybe 26 ounces with absolutely no modifications.

Andrew skurka's website lists a pinnacle (chopped I'm sure) at 20.7 ounces.

5 ounce drop after removing backpanel foam, trimming straps etc sounds about right.

Dan

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Ahhhh… Thanks Daniel. I started to think I was getting REALLY good at this UL thing. My bad everyone… I shed 5-6 oz.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Mike,

Thanks for the tip about turning the pack inside out…that sounds like a good idea.

The Jam2 (and Pinnacle I believe) didn get a number of updates for 2009. You can read about them here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18399

The hip pockets are new, but with that (and other changes) comes a significant weight increase from about 20oz to 27oz I believe.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Joe: "I put the basket on my trekking pole in the bottom loop, and use the upper loop around the handle. It would work either way though."

This sounds like a good setup. Thanks for the tip.

I'm somewhat surpised GoLite puts ice axe loops on these packs. I mean, how many people actually use these packs for ice climbing/mountaineering? It seems like anyone doing those activities would want a bigger pack.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

No sweat, Mike. I picked up a medium '08 women's Pinnacle this spring at GoLite's warehouse clearance sale (they were out of men's Pinnacles, and the sales guy said that men's and women's packs were essentially the same). It weighs 1# 9 oz, like Daniel's. My '09 large men's Jam 2 weighs 1# 11.2 oz. The only difference I see between the women's medium and my men's Jam 2 is the volume (of course), the hip belt pockets on the '09 Jam, and the load lifters on the '08 Pinnacle. The positioning of the shoulder straps and waist belts look identical (although the customer service gal at GoLite told me the men's and women's packs were designed differently). But the '08 women's has rather short shoulder straps (nothing to trim there) and very little excess on the waist belt straps. So I guess removal of the foam and the compressor straps is the only way to reduce the weight. Still, 5+ oz. is significant.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Dan, to make things much easier on you, turn the pack inside-out and use household scizzors to remove the inner hydration sleeve, and the foam pad (if you are using another means of padding/pack support)
    ripping the threads is tedious work and you are more likely to slip and put a nice gash in the pack body.

fwiw, i took my '08 Jam2 at 21oz and trimmed it to 16.6
    i then sold it in favor of the Conduit :P

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Actually I have been using my wife's Jam2 for mountaineering! It holds my ice tools and everything I need for any daytrip and some overnight stuff. It's not a half bad pack until you overload it weight wise.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I have a Pinnacle and cut about 5 ounces off, leaving the foam pad in. I mean, the foam provides the only support the pack has. But whatever. Point is, I cut the other weight just by shortening all the straps, removing the ice axe stuff, cutting out the hydration sleeve, swapping the drawcord with some spectra, and something else that I seem to have forgotten. To get that last bit of an ounce you could use the seam ripper on the hydration sleeve; I just cut mine out with some scissors to save the headache.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I turned my Jam2 inside out last night….it was very easy to do. I'm going to use a seam ripper on the two long side seams of the hydration sleeve, but I might cut it along the bottom because that seam is really in tight with other very critical seams which I don't want to damage.

How easy was it to swap the drawcord for Spectra?

I'm hoping to shorten the straps, but I really like how they are doubled back right now. This prevents you from accidentally pulling the strap all the way through the buckle. Did you fold yours and restitch them when you cut them? Or did you just use super glue?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Very easy to swap drawcord–just tie on and pull through. Frankly, not much weight savings at all… Stock straps have about an extra foot of strap; I left about 4 or 5 inches and just melted the ends, but didn't bother folding the new ends back. You could, and it would be simple. I also shortened the hipbelt webbing (way too long) and load lifter straps (an extra ? inches each). I was going to cut off the water bottle pockets on the outside, but they're pretty darn handy, so they stay.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

How well did the melting work for the strap ends? Does it look ghetto? Would you recommend this over super glue?

I want to start mod'ing my Jam2 but my scale is in the mail right now. I could just keep all the bits to figure out the original weight at a later date…hmm…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Dan,

It's pretty easy to do on a gas burner. Just make your cut and before it begins to fray, bring the cut edge against the flame from the side, working it a little at a time as you watch the nylon melt and fuse.

It's a little tougher with wide webbing than narrow, but practice with your discarded end to get the hang of it and you'll probably find you're getting "factory fresh" results.

You don't need no stinking glue :-)

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. I used my new Jam2 for the first time last weekend. What a comfy pack it is for a frameless.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I find a long stick lighter works great for this.
    I use to use a hot nail to cut the strapping but it was a hassle to keep the nail hot (I used a plumbers torch).
    Now a use a sharp pair of scissors and the long stick lighter.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools