Topic

MSR Hubba Hubba HP Info Please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Hubba Hubba HP Info Please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

I agree with Michael – theory sounds great – practice not so much. Dan we need pictures of that!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Michael, a lot of what you said applies to the Hubba Hubba and Hubba Hubba HP (which I guess is the point of this thread) but the CR2 uses a simpler pole structure where the poles do not extend to the corners so it's a lot easier.

To unclip the body from the poles, you would just remove the cross strut (easy) and get rid of it. No need to reconnect it to the fly. With the cross strut gone, you can easily unclip the body off the main pole (4 or 5 clips, all easily accessed). Now the tent body will drop down and lay on the ground. So far we are about 30 seconds in.

This is where the CR2 and Hubba Hubba tents differ. The Hubba Hubba tents have the poles going to the corners, so you can't really disconnect these without collapsing the tent. The CR2 main pole does not fork to the corners, so by unstaking the corners you can fold the sides of the body in.

I would remove the stakes at the 4 corners and not restake the fly. The fly would still be staked out at the vestibules and attached at the ends at the main pole so it would hold its general shape. If you wanted to quickly reinser the 4 stakes through just the fly it wouldn't be a big deal…especialy considering you'd only be doing this process once in a while.

With the 4 corner stakes out, you can fold the sides of the body onto itself (ie. fold the tent into a strip 1/3 it's original width). You couldn't do this with the Hubba Hubba though because the poles go to the corners of the tent.

Now you just need to roll up the body, but it's already protected because you folded the floor over on top. At this point, I would just take the tent apart normally, but you could unclip one end of the main pole and have someone hold the pole/fly in place so you can roll up the body while the fly is still on.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

OK,
    I just un-clipped my Hubba's body from the fly, from within, or inside of the fly, with the fly attached to poles.
    Its doable, but I would only do it, under downpour conditions.
    Tried to do this in reverse setting up fly and poles (without a footprint) which is nearly impossible, and a good way to potentially break a pole.

I'll need to practice, but I'm pretty sure that I could have the inner tent folded inside the fly, lay them out, and slip the pole assembly between the two, which would keep inner tent dry,(during rain) and possibly erect the inner tent, to the poles while still being covered by the fly? Time to tinker now.
    If the fly is wet, and packed separate, then you would need to slip the dry tent body under the laid-out fly, and still erect, like I already mentioned.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Good point about doing the reverse….it would be harder to setup like this than to tear down. I think I could still do it (it should be a bit easier with the CR2) but in downpour conditions it might be better just to get 2 guys to hold the fly over you (tarp style) as you setup the body, assuming you are in a group of 3+.

With the CR2, you could leave the tent body folding into thirds while you setup the fly (so you'd get rain only on the underside), whereas with the Hubba you'd need to unfold the body fully to setup the poles since they go to the corners.

This thread has been cool for brainstorming stuff like this. I doubt I would have thought of any of this without you guys and this thread.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools