Topic

Kaiser Wilderness, CA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Kaiser Wilderness, CA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Took a trip this past weekend to Upper Twin Lake in the Kaiser Wilderness. This area is located a bit past Huntington Lake and Sierra Summit Ski Area on Highway 168 east of Fresno.

It was only a 4 mile walk in over easy terrain at around 8,000 feet. It was a great chance to try out my new Neoair short, ULA Ohm pack, and MLD duomid with SMD Serenity Nettent. Everything performed great and I can't wait use it all on my upcoming JMT hike.

I definitely tested the weight carrying and comfort of the OHM with all my food and camera equipment and was very happy with the comfort and features.

Packing up the night before
    packing up

Coming up on a great view
    Coming up on a great view!

Ohm pack and carbon Gitzo tripod
    Ohm pack and carbon Gitzo

Nikon D700 and 4 lenses on my chest
    Nikon D700 and 4 lenses in the chest pouch!

Old snag above the lake

View of Upper Twin Lake

Me stuffing my face

Power bait worked better!

Friends arond the fire

Looking up at our afternoon objective. We picked our way through the boulder field at the base and found a route to the summit on the left side of the cleft.

We climbed up to the left hand peak

View from the top
    View from the top

On our way down
    On our way down

My new home!

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Looks nice!

Matthew Steingass
    BPL Member

@steingass

Locale: Washington

Beautiful area Ryan. I hope I can backpack in the Sierras one day. The amount of photography gear you carry really comes out in the quality of your photos. Nice shelter combo too.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Yeah, great stuff Ryan. Would love to see what you can do with that D700 on the JMT.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Thanks for the kind words guys.

This was a short hike to where we basecamped for the weekend so I brought along everything. Photography was the main motivation for lightening up my my other gear. I love having great photos to look through years later after a good trip. First trip with the Ohm and it carried everything very well.

I'll be taking the D700 with a 24-85 and 70-300 on the JMT. Tempted to pick up a 20mm prime as well. We'll see after I get a canister loaded up and in the pack and get a feel for the weight. Not sure if the tripod will come along, it weighs about 3 lbs. The canister in the pack may make the attachment unfeasible.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Only 4 mi in? It looks like it's far from the tourist crowd. Great photos.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Great trip! Love the tree shot!

Jeff Moody

@bigtiki

What made you go with a SMD inner instead of the MLD inner?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I love the sierras and kaiser is one of my hiking group's favorite destinations. Great trip report! Juniper trees have a lot of character, don't they?

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Jeff,

I picked up the SMD inner in the gear swap before the MLD version was available. The MLD is a little bigger and heavier but also probably better built.

Lori,

The Kaiser area is great! I did one other trip to Graveyard Lakes leaving from Edison Lake a few years back. When I need to get a quick trip in I head to Kaiser or Jennie Lakes. My two easy options from here in San Luis Obispo.

Ryan

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

It's practically next door to Kaiser. Lots of lakes, wildflowers and views from the ridge going out to Dogtooth Peak. Great for family outings or scouts.

I also like the Courtright Reservoir area. Lots of trails going out from Courtright and Wishon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools