Topic

W/B Technology: Patagonia’s H2No?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) W/B Technology: Patagonia’s H2No?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Redd

@lucylab

Most of Patagonia’s W/B gear uses H2No, its own proprietary W/B technology. Due to Patagonia’s sizable market share, there is a considerable amount of H2No in use, yet I have found very little technical analysis or comparison between H2No and its competition, e.g. XCR, e-Vent, etc. For example, H2No was not discussed in BPL’s fine article on W/B technologies.

How does H2No really perform? How do you rate its breathability? Is it truly waterproof? Other performance issues, such as durability, etc.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Actually, H2No is the name given by Patagonia to Entrant in one of its many formulations.

Bryan Redd

@lucylab

Any idea whether the Entrant variant that Patgonia uses is the same as the “Entrant G2 XT” discussed in the BPL W/B article and for which technical lab testing results are reported in the article? According to those results and the article, Entrant G2 XT performs better than Goretex XCR and only slighter poorer than e-Vent as regards breathability.

If H2No is not the same as Entrant G2 XT, any idea which variant is used and how it measures in testing?

Due to their quality and their committment to the prservation of the outdoor environment that is crtical to our outdoor activities, I try to support Patagonia whenever I can. But, I hate to spend $$ on their W/B products without some reliable technical data and comparisons, which thus far I’ve not found.

Colin Thomas

@fullofadventure

I just got an e-mail back from Patagonia about their H2No wp/b barrier. A lot of people have been saying lately that the H2No is actually Entrant so I asked them and they told me it is not. It is their own proprietary tech. Here is what they said.

H2No is not Entrant or any other “off the shelf” technology that
    Patagonia buys and then renames. If we were buying it off the shelf,
    Gore, Entrant, eVent, etc. we would use our vendors commercial names, there is simply more equity in Gore than H2No. So, H2No is our own proprietary technology.

I hope this helps fix the confusion around the H2No barrier Patagonia uses.

Jim Morrison
    Spectator

@pliny

Locale: Pacific Northwest

All I know is my own experience.   My daughter purchased an H2No jacket for me a few years ago.

When high up above the tree line in a cold wind, spitting snow and rain this jacket just seemed bomb proof.  It makes a nice enclosure around the face and in general it definitely seals out the wind and wet.  If there is a trade-off between waterproof vs. breathability, I would put this in the more WP and perhaps less breathability.  But for use in harsh weather I will take that.  I have 3 newer and lighter WP/breathable rain jackets, but this is the one I trust in the winter and if there is any chance of extreme weather in unprotected alpine environs.

Andre M
    Spectator

@bodybuilderandre

I would speculate that its a polyurethane based membrane. 20000mm HH and 10000g/m^2 after their “killer wash” is excellent marketing, but par for the course for a PU membrane. I dont think their “killer wash” would degrade the performance of their WPB membrane, only the DWR.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mine wetted out in 45 minutes on day one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools