Topic

Wilder Ranch & Henry Cowell State Parks Trip Report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wilder Ranch & Henry Cowell State Parks Trip Report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carlos Figueroa

@cfigueroa

Locale: Santa Cruz Area

Here is day hike I did in the Santa Cruz, CA area a couple of weeks ago. Please follow this link:

http://www.cabrillo.edu/~cfigueroa/Trip_Reports/Wilder_Cowell/Wilder_Cowell.html

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nice Carlos! Cowell is 2 minutes from my house. There are wonderful trails to hike there. Too bad there are no backcountry campgrounds to hike to though.

Carlos Figueroa

@cfigueroa

Hey Ken,
    wow – 2 minutes from Big Basin. When I was exploring above UCSC I was surprised at the number of illegal camp sites I came across. It would be nice to have some legal backcountry camp sites – it's a short distance from Pine Flat road into Big Basin and would make for an incredible loop of a few hundred miles from Santa Cruz. One could only dream.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ummmm I would stay away from those illegal sites. They most likely are there for illegal activities or homeless folks that tend to be violent up in the mountains.

Nice pictures though!!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

That's a great hike, with a wide range of sights for only a single day. Thanks!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

actually I live within 2 minutes of Henry Cowell. Semantics though. Wilder is a nice place too

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Great country where you get your feet dirty Carlos. When I was really young I lived in Novato up in Marin county, some of the pictures in your TR reminded me of that area. As always, thanks for sharing, although my computer almost herniated uploading all those great pics.

Carlos Figueroa

@cfigueroa

Thanks Tom – it is very surprising the variety of things one see on a single day. Furthermore, this hike is so close to the city of Santa Cruz.

Ken – my mistake, I meant to say Henry Cowell. So you must live off of Graham Hill Road if it is only two minutes away.

Eugene – thanks for you comments. I will go back and reduce the size of the pictures so that they will upload quicker.

Question: can someone tell how to setup links within the BPL web pages for future trip report by me?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools