Topic

Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Help with hikes within an hour of San Fran

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Probably be in San Francisco mid-September for a quick trip. Where are good hikes within an hour of city for either an overnighter or two super day hikes?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

George that is easy. Look into Point Reyes, or Big Basin ie Skyline To The Sea. We have many great hikes that within an hours drive of SF. The two I just wrote are the heavy hitters! Have fun!!

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

If whatever you end up choosing involves a state park, be sure to check at the last minute to be sure that there will be no trouble with your trip. (You have heard that CA is proposing to close a lot of state parks, right?)

— MV

Jack Scheckton

@meestajack

Locale: Brooklyn

Big basin park is really beautiful, I was surprized by the environment when I visited a couple of years ago… Amazing redwood forest, some of the oldest and most beautiful forest I've ever seen.

Have fun… it's a beautiful part of the country.

I'm flying into SF in september myself, and we're going to drive up north to do some hiking/camping… Really looking forward to the trip.

Jeffrey Davis

@gallamar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There's quite a lot of options, and living here. I'm happy to help you in any way as you narrow your options. Look through the site http://www.bahiker.com

Feel free to PM me with any questions. Enjoy your time in the Bay Area!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Although it's a short day hike, Muir Woods is really very pretty and only 30 (?) min north of the Golden Gate.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

If you can get a spot, Angel Islandwould be amazing. Here's the Angel Island camp PDF I've hiked but never camped there. But having done the Alcatraz at Night tour, I can tell you that being out in the Bay in the dark with the city lights across the water is quite an experience.

The two Ken mentioned, plus Ohlone Wilderness and Henry Coe SP. I believe there's a Bay Area BPL Henry Coe thread somewhere.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

ken, bob, jack, jeffrey, thomas, and james

thanks – really appreciate your help

will let you know which ones we pick

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

If you do Angel Island, I would be jealous. From what I hear, the views are real cool.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools