Topic

This picture made me go lightweight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion This picture made me go lightweight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"The way he is carrying his pack … Yuk! I simply couldn't."

And probably shouldn't. Notice the knee brace he is wearing…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Casey

> I'll give that a try next time.
    That's what the Forums are for: sharing ideas.

Cheers

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Here is a picture that made me go light…
    Heavy Hikers

Dave and I met these guys as we were doing a 20 mile day-hike, peak bagging trip at Mt San Jacinto. They stopped us to ask for directions as they did not have a map and were messed up on their location and directions. (We gave them a map.) I could not believe their packs and asked the one guy if he minded me taking a picture of his two-night, 13-mile trip load. He said “sure” and turn to let me get it in all its glory. They really were fun guys. I told Dave that I wished we were spending the night as I would love to be in their camp. Since all their gear was on the outside of their packs I figured the inside had a LOT of booze…

I especially liked the 1.5 L water bottle (the heaviest item of all our loads) on the furthest point from Dude # 2’s back.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Casey wrote;
    "The pack, especially the wide shoulder straps, are comfortable enough that I don't use the hip belt. One day I'll cut it off."

I finally cut the hip belt off of my Miraposa recently since it was just in the way…and I like it even more now.

My experience…weight distribution is everything, especially without a suspension system or hip belt. Get all of the heavy items low and close to your back, and the lighter items stuffed towards the back side. It will ride close and comfortable. Conversely, my wife had tried putting her 2 liter platy in the back pocket of her Miniposa and felt like she was getting pulled backwards (because she was). Just simply moving it to the side pocket made all the difference in the world.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

These are from Point Reyes in January. Urban teen group point reyes heavies
    BPL Bay Area membersprosHYOH of course, but I think we had more fun.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools