Topic

event down sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) event down sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Richard Mueller
    Spectator

@richca

Locale: Western USA

I was just wondering if anybody has had experience with an event down sleeping bag. I know Feathered Friends can make down sleeping bags with event outer shell for waterproofness. I am thinking an event outer shell on a down sleeping bag could replace having to use or bring a bivi sack against rain splash or condensation to use inside a tarptent. Currently, I bring a bivi sack with me to use with my down montbell bag. I will only use the bivi sack inside my tarptent if I encouter rain or lots of condensation in the tent. It seems to me that an event shell on a down sleeping bag could replace having to bring a bivi sack. I would prefer not using the bivi sack inside the tarptent. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated………Rich

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Most down-proof fabrics also have a good DWR, and repel light amounts of condensation. Perhaps not as good as eVent, but then do you really need the extra repellency? And eVent is a fair bit more expensive.

That said, eVent is a lot better than one of the membrane fabrics. In cold weather the membranes will collect significant condensation on the inside.

If the weather is that bad that water is flying around under your tarp, then maybe the tarp is not such a good choice? Just a thought.

Cheers

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

I've got one, and what I mean by that is I mortgaged the house to buy one. It is a ridiculous bag. Mine is a 10 degree bag and honestly I rarely use it as I'm not often out in that kind of weather. It is VERY expensive, but you can leave the bivy at home (this was also verified by FF and experience) as long as it obviously isn't exposed to direct rain/snow, etc. In condensation, it should be fine. If I had to do it again, I'd have them build me one for 3-season and make it into a quilt. Basically, if you've got the cash, buy one.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Forget the bivy and event shell all together. Any DWR shell should be able to handle anything that gets by a tarptent. If you are getting massive condensation, you are probably pitching the tarptent wrong. Additionally, if you are getting massive condensation in the tarptent, it's going to be bad under a bivy shell as well.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

First of all, I've had 4 different Feathered Friends bags and I've loved all of them. Primo.

One of the bags is eVent and it's worked great. However, the full-on waterproofness is only as good as the seam taping, and these bags aren't seam taped. So for sleeping out in the rain, you still need a bivy.

Where I love this bag is snowcaving and igloo camping where the condensation is significant, but not rain. This is where I'd recommend eVent.

My wife has a FF bag with the Nanosphere fabric. This I LOVE. It's more than a normal DWR but breathes quite nicely. It's light, and less expensive than eVent.

For time in your Tarptent, I'd skip the eVent and go with the Nano. For serious condensation, like in a snow shelter, I think eVent (or an eVent bivy) is a brilliant setup.

Best,
    Doug

Richard Mueller
    Spectator

@richca

Locale: Western USA

Thanks for all the replies. I have the Rainshadow 2 tarptent from Henry Shires that I have been using for my backpacking trips. I do not have experience in the rain with this tent yet. However, last summer I was backpacking with my nephew in Yosemite National Park and one night we pitched camp on a 8000' high lake. The night was clear, no wind, and got down to about 36 degrees F. We got condensation in the tent this night. I slept in my down bag inside a titanium goat bivy. The bivy got wet but my bag stayed dry. I had the bivy cover my bag to the shoulders. So my bag got wet some at the shoulders and the hood. This was not a big deal as it dried out quickly in the sun in the morning. I learned from this that sleeping on a high mountain lake (or to close to it) can give you some condensation in your tent if the conditions are right. Our other nights were condensation free as we were not that close to a lake. Anyhow, I just want to be prepared for rain.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The only fully waterproof e-Vent shelled bags i'm aware of are from UK outfit Crux. Their Torpedo bags are fully taped. Expensive though.

Stephen Klassen

@steveyk

I have the Apache SDL (dryloft), similar to a FF Hummingbird with eVent, but has a collar. Now in windstopper, which I understand is the same. Weighs about 1kg. Rated to around 15F. Has always kept out moisture, even one night where the foot of the bag lay in a puddle of water all night, no moisture got in. I use it here in the PNW with a Silshelter tarp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools