Topic

210 and 420 robic fabric source

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 210 and 420 robic fabric source

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

I’m doing a MYOG lightweight (not UL) backpack and I’m having trouble finding a material for the pack body that suits me.  I love the fabric on my six moons fusion 65L generation 1 (except the colors) .  I’ve been searching for days and can’t find anything that’s very close.  Gridstop would do but its crazy expensive for no reason that I can tell other than popularity or “fashion” The colors are also very limited at the places I found it.

I found 420 robic at RSBTR but it only comes in black and I don’t want a black pack.  Also, 420 is too stiff for the entire pack.  I thought that hyperD 300 would be just the thing but the samples I ordered are just too flexible and floppy.  I want a pack made of material that has some stiffness to it so that its easy to pack and retains its shape (more or less).   The hyperD 30 also seems to be very stretchable and form fitting.  These properties may be attractive to some but not what I’m looking for.

So is there as source of robic 210 and 420 PU coated material that I’ve missed?  Or perhaps another material choice I haven’t considered?  The robic 210 and 420 are the weight/stiffness I had in mind. I’m considering VX21 but I’m not accomplished at sewing and I anticipate having to rip a few seams that aren’t right VX21 is forgiving.  VX21 is also crazy expensive.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Also could not find robic nylon right for a SUL pack.  Same problem.  After considerable searching, settled for a polyester from Dutchware:  https://dutchwaregear.com/300d.html

It is under 3 oz/sq/yd, with a high HH spec, and although it comes in only 3 colors, they run the spectrum from light to dark.  Also, it seems about the right balance between stiffness and flex, and has an attractive diamond ripstop weave that looks like it will resist abrasion.  If the water resistance is as represented, and the polyester holds up, it will be just right for those who prefer a woven fabric to the mylar laminates.  We’ll see.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

First I’ll correct my first post.  I meant to say that Vx21 IS NOT forgiving. If you make a mistake the needle holes remain.  That’s also true of PU coating but I think you repair PU with seam sealer.

I appreciate the other material idea and found that one also a few days ago. HyperD 300 is similar but made of nylon instead of polyester. I suspect that the materials are similar stiffness but don’t have the polyD to compare them. The hyperD was way to much like heavy ripstop nylon for me.  I want a stiff pack bag material that won’t need to be held open to pack it..

The polyD might work for me but I’ll have to see it first.  Agree that the polyD color choices are underwhelming.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

A couple things… VX21 is not expensive compared to many of the Dyneema offerings. I actually it to be quite economical considering you only need a yard for a moderate sized pack. Second, I would highly recommend the X21RC as it lacks the taffeta backing and therefore it can be taped. Taping the seams will negate any concern with seam ripping.

Also, it is stiff enough that my 34″ high rolltop will completely stand up on its own when open.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Quest Outfitters will also send you a sample for free. After searching for materials for my recent MYOG pack  I can tell you that I’m ecstatic with the properties of the material. I can say with confidence that once you got it in your hands, you would say “this is what I’ve been looking for”.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

First off, the 420D Robic from RSBTR comes in a few other colors besides black.  I have a MYOG pack, around 30L or so, with the entire body and drawstring closure being of this 420D.  It is a bit stiff, but not as stiff as you might think and it is because of this stiffness that I like it so much.  It will also be hard to find a fabric available to consumers with a better abrasion resistance, except for perhaps 1000D Cordura and some of the ballistic fabrics. Another reason for why I like the 420D from RSBTR is that it “stuffs” better than most fabrics as well, to the point of handling over-stuffing without turning into an odd shape and with the pack becoming lopsided here and there.  The 420D will retain it’s shape, properly barrel (or fill in and round out, if you will).

I also have the 2014 Fusion 50 model and I seem to be the only one who truly likes the colors.  The white makes it so easy to see inside of the pack.

SMD has their packs made in Asia, which I am 98% sure is from where they are also sourcing their fabric. There are fabrics only available in the U.S., fabrics only available in Europe, and fabrics only available in Asia, as examples.  Of course, there is always mail order and you can surely find 210 Robic and other styles of 420D Robic from Ali Baba, you just might need to purchase an entire bolt or more and/or pay $$$ for shipping.

The 6,6 nylon 420D fabrics that later became known as Robic were initially milled in the U.S. and for use in parachute backpacks. This fabric is no longer made in the U.S. as far as I know.  Then again, some of the Robics (and other fabrics) carried by RSBTR were in part developed with aid from RSBTR, so I dunno.

The grid ripstop Robic used by ULA is similar to the 210D Dyneema sold by RSBTR, and can be used with similar results.

As for the 300D HyperD, this is some awesome fabric.  It has a hand feel that you just want to caress!  It is a bit “limp” for a 300D fabric, but it is supposed to be.  If I were forced to only use two fabrics for MYOG packs, they would most definitely be the 420D Robic and the 300D HyperD.

Some other fabrics to check into that might fit your bill are packcloth, 330D Cordura, and 200D oxford if you are interested in the plain weave look.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

You’re right about the RSBTR 420D robic coming in other colors.  I was working from memory and I’ve searched a lot of other websites in the past few days. I don’t want a full pack made of 420D robic though since its probably overkill for the back and bottom.  Pairing it with hyperD 300 seems an odd pairing since the one fabric is pretty stiff and the other is pretty floppy.

I really like the hyperD 300 as a material but it doesn’t satisfy what I want to do.  I want something that will stay open when I pack it and wont bulge and deform by stretching in to oddball shapes when I stuff it full.  Based on the samplesI got I don’t believe the hyperD 300 will do that.

I essentially want to end up with a lightweight cylindrical duffel bag with a roll top.  I hike in a wilderness area with a bunch of blow downs and am constantly crawling under downed trees, so I want the back of the pack to be durable and very puncture resistant also.

I also like the white on my 2014 fusion. As you say it makes it easy to find your stuff.  Not a big fan of the green though.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

I read your MYOG backpack thread last night.  Nice job. Its beautiful.

My pack will be sort of like yours but with a lightweight aluminum frame.  I’m using a Seek Outside hip belt.  I like external frame packs because they help you stay cool during the summemr which is nice in the the very humid Southeast.

I was unaware that Quest will send free samples.  I like the white pack bag since its easy to see what is inside it when digging through the contents..  The VX21 material or the material you suggested may be stiffer than I want but if I can get a free sample it will help me evaluate it.  It was too expensive to order some for evaluation purposes. I am cheap.

Where did you order your pouch mesh and which mess was it?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Give Quest a call and a woman named Kay will likely answer. She’s amazing to work with and will gladly send you free samples.

Where did you order your pouch mesh and which mess was it?

It’s Gossamer Gear mesh. I emailed them and sweet talked them into sending me a small piece just big enough to use for my pocket.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

While you’re on the phone with Kay, you might as well ask her to send you some stretch mesh samples. Their lycra is very popular around here for MYOG packs.Also, I can just about guarantee you won’t find the X21RC too stiff, it will hold itself up due to the .5mil laminate while the overall material is quite pliable.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

My plan is to use divers mesh because I’ve never liked the stretch on any of my pack that have it.  But I have an open mind.  It snags and tears crawling under blow downs – I do a lot of that where I hike.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I have mixed feelings about stretch mesh. I’m about to make a pack for my dad and will be using the same rawhide mesh that’s on my Zimmerbuilt pack as I’ve been very pleased with it.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

“I want a stiff pack bag material that won’t need to be held open to pack it.”

The closest thing to that in woven fabric might be the one of the nylon taffeta pack fabrics (no ripstop).  Extrem Textil has one that is extremely water resistant; however, I wanted the ripstop, and so was driven to polyester.   The one I suggested above is more robust than the RBTR HyperD 300.  If you want super stiff there is always the Zpacks Cuben/fabric laminate that is very light for its strength.

Unlike most, I disdain the laminates on which stitch holes enlarge and are not self repairing, even with the flimsy fabric layers in the laminate.  Call me old fashioned, but I do not care for a material with a plastic-like look and character.  The lightest spectra grid nylons, available from Thru-Hiker, Extrem Textil and others, are not very water resistant.  Have used a green version of the Seattle Fabric “White Widow” for many years, and it was more water resistant and extremely durable, but 4+ oz/sq/yd.

Something midway between the robic nylons from RBTR, with a Spectra gridstop weave, might be ideal.    But the lighter gridstop with a more water resistant coating might be the best to hope for.   In the meantime, as said, will try the Dutchware polyester.  Can look at it without feeling like there is a Xmas tree ornament on my back.  When the pack is done, and if the fabric performance is good, will report on a new thread.  If not, will mention why the pack was redone with another fabric.  It always seems to be a work in progress.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools