Topic

Sub 4lb – Frontenac P.P.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sub 4lb – Frontenac P.P.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Last week I headed out for a quick overnight in Frontenac Provincial Park. It is a very nice wooded area with some nice views from the tops of the small granite peaks. My baseweight was 3.8 lbs with an additional 2 lbs of food and snacks. Daytime temps were about 12*C with a nightime low of about 2*C. With the nice rolling terrain and light pack, I covered some serious ground. I pretty much hiked a big loop around the entire park. I didn't think many animals would be up and about but I spotted a big deer, a couple snakes, a turtle and even a brown owl. I tried to snap a photo of the owl but he kept flying to the next tree so I decided not to bother him anymore. Enjoy my pics!

Starting out on the trail.

The trail is relatively flat, but there were some exciting sections…
    traail

Stopped for lunch.
    Lunch

A nice view from the top.
    View

This guy hikes faster then me.
    Turtle

Trail worker.
    Snake man

Camp for the night.
    camp

Here are a few panaramic pictures. I've been playing with the settings and they are starting to turn out much nicer. Only wish they came in wider…

Trees haven't woken up yet.
    Field

A nice little lake I passed.
    Lake Shot

I took this one on the way day to my campsite.
    decent

Gear wise, everything worked fine except I definitely had trouble sleeping from about 4am to about 6am…I did finally fall back asleep in the morning but man was I cold. I must have done hundreds of crunches in my bivy and at one point got out and did jumping jacks to warm up. I realize that the sleeping pad was insufficient as I could really feel the cold from the ground, but I think it is safe to say that the Arc AT and Skaha Plus is rated about right and shouldn't really be pushed too much unless you are going to supplement it with additional gear.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Nice hike. Looks beautiful.
    Haven't seen that type of geography in a long time.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Looks like the SHT and the rest of northwestern Minnesota. My heart yearns.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

It was a good time. That was the lightest I have ever gone so it was a bit exciting. I forgot to mention, I had bought some freeze dried ice cream a long time ago and ended up trying it this trip…the stuff is amazing! I purchased 2 more packages a few days ago to bring on my Coastal Trail hike…neapolitan flavour!

In case you're wondering, this is my weird face…I don't normally look like this :)
    ice cream

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Thanks for sharing both of your recent trips, Steven. It looks like you've been on a hiking spree lately! Count me among the jealous, but soon to join!

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I just love the terrain of the north woods. Thanks for the pics. I'm fairly certain that's what then north end of the SHT will look like when I start my thru hike in mid May. You're getting me antsy to get my butt out there!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Steve,
    Again a nice trip report and pictures, thanks. Here in the PNW we still have some areas of significant snow at higher elevations and a trip of any length would require a nice set of walking crampons, titanium would be sweet.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

Nice work, Steven!

Sorry if you posted this somewhere and I missed it, but is that MLD Spectralite .60 poncho in your photos? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks,
    Michael

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Devin, I'm just making up for last year..I think I only got out a few times in the summer.

Dan, keep your eyes open for morse code from the other side of Lake Superior. ;)

Thom, in the works still…once again a long process.

Micheal,
    Yes, it is the MLD 0.6 Spectra Poncho. I love it, it's a great piece of gear. I'm about 6'3" and it covers me nicely in poncho mode. If it's raining, I have to set it up in A-frame style to keep completely covered. In the pictures I have it set up in a sort of modified pyramid with one end raised a bit…that leaves me a bit exposed on one end. I've been working with a lot of the lighter materials lately so in my mind the fabric is totally bomber. Of cours, YMMV.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Sounds like a nice trip, and nice photos.
    I'm surprised your mother let you cut up her curtains to make a head-band though! ;)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Steve

Nice Pics.

> I definitely had trouble sleeping from about 4am to about 6am…I did finally fall back
    > asleep in the morning but man was I cold.
    Yeah, happens. The graph below is from a recent trip in the mountains:
    NightTemperature.jpg

It gets coldest just before the sun hits!

Cheers

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Mike, awesome! I honestly almost fell out of my chair after reading that….it's 7am here, and I needed that. My bandana (buff) is a useful bit of gear, but unfortunately, there were limited colors when I bought it from Richard Simmons a few years back. :)

Roger, no doubt that graph is from your Thermo-doohickies?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I should talk about Buffs. I've got a couple, but i'm trying to pluck up the courage to order and wear the Spiderman one! :)

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Nice trip rport. I always like it when people include photos of their campsite & shelter. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools