Topic

2020 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2020 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Seymour
    BPL Member

@foundgodinnature-2

Locale: Beartooths

Kyle,

It looks like you made it out. Congrats man! I’m pretty much settled on about the same route as you except I might go up and over Lion Creek Pass to begin with instead. Any beta on the state of the flathead or White River Pass? Thanks!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I’ve never taken a drysuit on the Open.  I’ve also been very conservative with avoiding whitewater that isn’t very far within my comfort zone (walking the whole lower Middle Fork in 2013);  I’m also hard pressed to think of a year when I didn’t get really, really cold in the boat at least once, and there have been several times I’ve deliberately pushed hard up against the boundaries of hypothermia.

The newer Alpacka seats have gotten heavier, but they also do a nice of keeping you out of the water in the boat and away from the cold water under the boat.  To say nothing of the prospect of seriously bruising your ass on a rock.

I have to say that conditions look likely to be gnarly.  Potentially on a 2014 level of high water and rotten, rain-soaked snow (there was a reason no one finished that year).  Probably not on the level of the 2012 blizzard, or the 2018 record high water, but could get close to either or both.  Kinda glad I’m headed elsewhere for the next week.

Kyle P
    BPL Member

@pucko25

Locale: Missoula

Hey Nathan, I made it out! The Bob delivered in classic Bob fashion. I’ll do a complete trip report after Memorial Day. Quick notes were that snow stability was a real concern for me but who knows what happens in the next week. Flathead didn’t look blown out yet, but I think that’s happening. Shoot me any specific questions you have in my message and we can chat.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

congrats Kyle on a very good finish!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Nathan,

From what I saw in my scouting mission the avi danger is real and route selection along with timing should be really looked at. Im closely watching the snotel sites for any significant accumulating snow. Glad to see you arent trying your original route the pitch leading down into Silvertip creek could be dicey and the pitch leading up to ibex would really need to be looked at for any avi danger. Im curios what conditions Kyle encountered on the pitch leading up to white river pass.

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Tom, given the avy hazard, what route are you taking from the South Fork to the Continental
    Divide? I hope you don’t mind me asking :)

Kyle P
    BPL Member

@pucko25

Tom: the approach up during the summer switchbacks had natural wet slides all over. I found a band of  rocks to climb up and gain the gap. There was also a reason I was doing this at 6 a.m. I didn’t like the looks of the west facing traverse so I jumped straight up and walked down to the pass on the ridgeline. Descending I was able to navigate down tree-bands, walk along flats, back up tree bands and repeat until getting out of harm’s way.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Rob,

Im not sure on my route yet. I think the safest route would be Larch Hill but who knows. Im wondering if Dave C has the best plan.

Kyle,

Congrats on a classy route!!! I was glad to see you starting early Monday morning and figured you encountered some spooky pitches. I remember rolling down that trail  heading into the white river spring of 2018 to find a massive avalanche debris field with trees everywhere. It was in the switchbacks near the 380 trail intersection. Thanks for the beta

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Best of luck to everyone this year ! The michigan crew is having to pass this year – 3 out of the 4 of us are contractors and our beloved govenor ( NOT!) has made life  a bit difficult . We all are committed  to  making the trip next year . Keep safe , have a blast – can’t wait to start reading the reports !  Looking forward to fri night dinner next year !

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

Should have included ….. Saturday start.

Nathan Seymour
    BPL Member

@foundgodinnature-2

Matt,

I’ll see you up there possibly.  Looks like you’re taking the same route I plan on doing. We likely won’t get started until Saturday afternoon though given the vehicle drop situation.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dan (should say Dans!) – hopefully catch you next year!

we got over an inch of precip in less than 12 hours last night in Helena, I’m guessing some places got well over that

SF Flathead is quickly ramping up and both the South and North Forks of the Sun are rising quickly

definitely more precip on the way, could be very interesting :)

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

The trail around Gibson at the end should be nice and sloppy. Oh the memories

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ on that note, I guarantee you that every Tom, Dick and Harry with stock is going to pound that trail further into muddy oblivion for Memorial Day weekend!

Nathan Seymour
    BPL Member

@foundgodinnature-2

My Spot: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/X1YJ

Heading in Saturday afternoon with a few others.

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Matt – its up to you to represent the mid- west well ! Keep safe , we will be watching !

Thad A
    BPL Member

@thad

Speaking of livestock near Gibson, watch out for any pack strings or riders on the cliff sections. It gets really tight. Try to find a wider spot for them to pass. Hopefully not too much westbound traffic by the time most of us are nearing the finish though. And remember that when you think you’re almost to the boat launch with a beer in reach, the lake just goes on and on and on…don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Sounds like we might be able to catch up with some of you at Point Pleasant (from a distance).  Probably heading up Friday evening. It’s a pretty small campground though, so it’s possible we’ll be nearby instead and just roll over to start.  Unless they swung one out since, there’s not a sign on the highway, so keep your eyes peeled. If you’re heading north and cross soup creek, turn around and head back.  There are 6-8 campsites.

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

We got to point pleasant last night… Completely empty. Thad, correct, there is still no sign.  Going back offline now as you have to drive a bit for cell service! Good luck to everyone!

Nathan Seymour
    BPL Member

@foundgodinnature-2

The water levels are about to break the 2008 records. Be careful out there everyone!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

good luck to everyone and be safe!

https://share.garmin.com/MikeMoore2

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Good luck out there Mike!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Nate B
    Spectator

@natebender

Hey folks –

Longtime dreamer, first time BMWO’er here. Excited to join in the fun; starting out first thing tomorrow morning. Here’s my tracking link if anyone is curious:

https://share.garmin.com/natebender

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Good luck nate.

Thats the track I was looking at going. Take a look at Mike and Toms track over inspiration pass as a back up plan.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools